Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times

Advertisements

I'm all the time reading on here that dogs live in the moment. Are you saying they have no memory? of course not cause abused dogs often have a really difficult time adjusting to a new home. i was just reading the thread about the lady whose lab was afraid of men and she had to leave town with her husband trying to care for the dog.

What does that statement really mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
I think it is more that their brains deal with situations more on a combination of instinct and associations rather than logical reasoning and anticipation of consequences. Making outside = good = get yummy treat. Unstable dog snarling at/threatening me instinct says run or confront. Owner = affection/safety/good food good things or in an abused case owner = pain/bad things. These associations can be changed and dogs don't hold on to memories as long and as far back as we do.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
to me living in the moment doesnt mean not having any recolection of the past...
just that the thoughts of whats to come dont realy play a part in the desicion making process...

for example...

a dog that is addicted to chewing shoes...
the dog has already been trained to associate chewing the shoes with a negative tone of voice and possibly punishment...
but the dog does it anyway...
not because it wants to be bad...but because at that moment the urge to do it overwhelmed the general knowledge that that action has negative consequences.

a dog doesnt store food for the winter...they simply "hunt" and eat when they are hungry if left to the choice (humans put them on a feeding schedual)
a dog doesnt wake up thinking "hey ive got to do this this and this because ive got such and such to prepare for on monday...

they do live for each day in the sense that they dont have the "got to do this on sunday because im at work all next week" kind of mentality. they dont "plan" they just do.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,636,469 times
Talking Living in the moment...

I have an American Bulldog who lives in the moment. He does not dwell on his past. He was abandoned, left behind in the house he knew as a pup. Stayed in a shelter for awhile, then adopted. That didn't work and I adopted him.

When thunderstorms move in, he begins to shake uncontrollably and pants. Does the smell of the rain trigger this reaction? Is he hypersensitive to electricity? Did the empty house get struck by lightening? Or does the booming thunder terrify him because it triggers a memory of an empty house that echoes? I do not know but at that very moment, the one he is living in, he is panting and shaking from the thunderstorm.

(Btw, as long as I have had him, he's been an inside dog).

He's living in the moment and now self medicates by going into the bathroom in the basement. Next, I want to teach him to turn on the exhaust fan (to help drawn out more noise.)

Smart dog...moves away from the sight of the flashing (lightening) and it is more quiet in the basement. Now that is living in the moment!

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 08-02-2011 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Spell check

Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM

831 posts, read 1,966,254 times
I really wish Cesar Millan would stop saying that 'dogs live in the moment' without explaining what he means. I think the man is brilliant but that statement stops me short each time I hear it. It does not mean they have no memory and I wish he would explain that each time he says it on his show!!!

/rant.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM

909 posts, read 3,365,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
I really wish Cesar Millan would stop saying that 'dogs live in the moment' without explaining what he means. I think the man is brilliant but that statement stops me short each time I hear it. It does not mean they have no memory and I wish he would explain that each time he says it on his show!!!

/rant.

See that is where I first heard it. Rather, I read it in his first book. But in the book he does explain more what it means, because he almost always talks about it in the context of either correcting undesirable behavior (don't do it way later cause the dog will think you are crazy), or a one time "traumatic" event (pet was attacked by another dog, or slipped on a glossy floor) that the dog would've gotten over quickly had not the owner made such a big deal out of it, and continued to make a big deal out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs