Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

I think being in the present with the dog is the best thing anyone can do for themselves. Our dogs are always in the present- it's a lesson from them. It also helps me to know that other people have had the same experience with their pets and that I'm not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
When Shana was dying from heart failure, I slept with her and spent more time with her. I had her on my lap while hand feeding her chicken legs. I thought I would wait for a while after she passed to get another dog but the empty feeling in the house was just too much for me and I got Sari 1 week later.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
What a wonderful thread.

My soulmate lost a toe and then an eye to cancer. When the cancer spread to his lungs and I was told he had only a week or so left, I decided to make his last days the best ever. I took him to the McDonald's drive-thru every single day and bought him 6-7 double cheeseburgers, chicken bits and other junk food he loved. He hadnt wanted to eat so I had my vet give him a prescription for Valium to increase his appetite. He ate so well then that he survived a month longer than predicted.

I put my life on hold, taking a full month's vacation to be home with him and devoting my time to petting him and playing games with him 24/7. I also took him out to the training school where I taught and let him run with the other dogs there every night. How he loved that. One night he was having a grand old time playing with them and then collapsed in the car on the way home. I called the vet who met me at her clinic and she agreed it was time to help him go.

That was 15 years ago and I still cry whenever I think of that wonderful dog and that wonderful last month.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
I don't know which is worse, having your pet go without having time to adjust or having the time to prepare and live with it for days, weeks or months?
One of my dobermans had been playing with other dogs at the training school and doing scent work with great enjoyment one night -- and then woke up next to me in bed at 5:00 the next morning, stood up, took one step and fell over dead from sudden heart failure.

Another doberman went through six months of surgeries to remove parts of his body being ravaged by cancer.

I've always felt that sudden death is so much easier, both on the pet and the person. At least, it was in my case.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
What a wonderful thread.

My soulmate lost a toe and then an eye to cancer. When the cancer spread to his lungs and I was told he had only a week or so left, I decided to make his last days the best ever. I took him to the McDonald's drive-thru every single day and bought him 6-7 double cheeseburgers, chicken bits and other junk food he loved. He hadnt wanted to eat so I had my vet give him a prescription for Valium to increase his appetite. He ate so well then that he survived a month longer than predicted.

I put my life on hold, taking a full month's vacation to be home with him and devoting my time to petting him and playing games with him 24/7. I also took him out to the training school where I taught and let him run with the other dogs there every night. How he loved that. One night he was having a grand old time playing with them and then collapsed in the car on the way home. I called the vet who met me at her clinic and she agreed it was time to help him go.

That was 15 years ago and I still cry whenever I think of that wonderful dog and that wonderful last month.
Oh my! I'm crying just READING about it, 15 years later.

What a wonderful story. That's something that I'd do -- take a month's vacation and just make it THE! BEST! TIME! EVER! for my sick dog.

I'm so happy that your pup got all those yummy treats and all those fun runs and all that time snuggling with you. We should all have that sort of send-off.

You did such a good thing. You really, really did.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
This is a hard thread, because we know when our pets start to go gray around the face, are a bit slower to get up, that they are getting older. In my case, Sam just was slower and slower, he gradually declined in health. He was blind, and by the time he was 13, he could barely walk. I knew it was getting to be his time. I knew his quality of life was pretty much at a stand still, when he was diagnosed with cancer, so, I took him home, and we did all of his favorite things, and he was really enjoying it. I cuddled him in his favorite blankie, and we watched tv, I fed him deli roast beef, and the next day, I did the best thing for him, we went to the vet together, and he was slow, but walked in there, and I held him in his blanket, as the vet gave him a final shot. I made a choice to have Sam end his life while he was not completely ravaged and sickly. Was it hard? Yes. Sam had an excellent life, and ended with happiness.

They don't live long enough. They need to live like 100 years.

I just never got another dog after Sam. I am not sure I ever want that type of wrenching emotional pain and grief again.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 AM

82 posts, read 495,745 times
there is no way to assuage the pain or grief, it is brutal. imo, there is no good way to assuage the anxiety after the death notice has been given by the vet. I suggest researching (soul searching) "the 5 stages of grief", there is much one can learn about oneself and the process. the unfortunate thing about the human condition is timing! in most cases, by the time we have reached "acceptance" the animal has been long gone. in most cases, the animal was kept alive too long and suffered too much. I imagine if the animals had a voice, the would say, "I am dying. The pain is too great. One more day of suffering is too much to endure." but, they don't/can't speak! human psychology being what it is turns their last days into something more for our comfort and less about theirs. this may sound cold, but, it is born from experience.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Yes I know what you are going through almost word for word. We have also lost two very dear dogs in a 2 year time frame (Our Samantha #1 and our Bandit). We are now facing our dog Gator's passing. We don't have a conclusive diagnosis because at 14 (he just had his birthday this week) and with his other medical problems, we will not subect him to anesthetic for a deep biopsy or xrays. Both the vet and I believe it is a cancer, and a fast growing one. His blood work suggests its in his liver but we can't be sure without x-rays or biopsies.

We are doing everything we can to make sure he is comfortable and make sure he knows he is loved. Because he also suffers for arthritis, we have to limit his walks but I give him a heating pad massage every evening and lay down and cuddle with him. The other dogs have come to understand that this is "Gator time" and now stay away. Other than that, I'm just marking and cherishing the time we have left. I'm also taking videos, something I didn't do with the first two and wish I had. I was able to catch the "Gator happy face", a look that comes over him where happiness just beams out from his soul. I never could seem to catch it on a still photo but I now have it on video and will cherish it for the rest of his life and mine.

Hugz to you Sugar - I know what you are going through and how difficult it is. I don't know who said it but a quote has come to my mind that sort of sums it up. "Dogs never seem to live long enough. Its their only fault really"

Old 09-24-2011, 01:59 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I read a very nice thing once, "People come to earth to learn how to love, and it takes a long time. Dogs come here already knowing, so they don't have to stay so long."

Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 PM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times
I'm so sorry. For me, I just spend as much time as I can and give a lot of hugs and kisses. Cherish every moment. I wish it would get easier, but it never does. You'll know what's right, so trust your instincts. Once again, I'm so sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs