Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,465,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Really? We were quoted under $2k if we chose TTA (we declined). The TPLO cost us $4500 because it's more labor-intensive and takes much longer to complete.
He told me one way or the other it'd be about $2200. Our dog has some other arthiritis problems that he'd have to work around so that's probably why our cost is a little higher. But, everything I've heard about the TTA surgery since talking to the vet is that it's less invasive, a quicker recovery, and a better overall surgery. Of course, he was very specific in telling me that there is nothing technically "wrong" with TPLO either. He said some people have had it on previous dogs, know it worked well and demand the TPLO all the same so he has no problem doing it.

If it makes you feel any better, my Rottrador () broke her tibia 6 weeks ago and that cost us $3000. She's still in a bandage and now my Blue Heeler has a ruptured ACL which is going to cost about another $2200. So, there, your vet bills aren't as high as mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,666 times
Thank you guys for your imput so far! We're really struggling with this decision, and things have gotten even more difficult.

When our vet first diagnosed him, he said he could fix it with the lateral fabellar suture, or TPLO. He estimated the cost of a TPLO for us at $2000 which was really high. My credit is being rebuilt, so my parents agreed to do Care Credit and I would be paying them monthly. However, we just got the actual estimate and it was $3200. My parents have basically said they just don't think it's ok to spend that, especially seeing as his other leg may need the surgery. If I had the money, I would in a heartbeat do this for my dog, but I don't, and I fear waiting and saving it to do the surgery would take too long and could cause further complications. My vet is strongly suggesting us to do the lateral fabellar suture. He said he has done it on dogs up to 140 pounds, and they have done very well. He said our dog may not run as fast as he used to, but otherwise would be good. Has anyone out there had a lateral fabellar suture done to their large dog and had good success?

Old 09-09-2011, 04:20 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times
My Yorkie just had his ACL repaired this week. He was just walking and all of a sudden yelped and started limping. The vet could tell by just moving his leg what he had done.
I don't know which one the vet did but I know he said something about replacing the ligament. It sure seems like it should hurt but he is doing really good so far.

Thank goodness I live in a small city because the cost was reasonable and much less than what you all are stating.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:47 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,414,824 times
how did you make out? i suspect my dog may have torn his ligament, and just started researching the options.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,666 times
Wow, it's almost been a year since I started this thread! I hate to bring something so old back to life but I thought everyone might like an update! Our dog, Duke, had his cruciate repaired September 21st 2011, via lateral fabellar suture. I was SO scared to do this technique vs. TPLO as everything I read indicated the lateral fabellar suture wouldn't work on a dog over 50 pounds. The vet drilled a hole into his knee and ran nylon in figure 8's around the knee (twice as Duke was a larger dog) through the bone, and also tightened some of the muscles of Duke's knee. Duke made it fine through surgery, and we were totally surprised when the vet tech was being drug behind Duke when we went to pick him up! (On three legs, might I add!)

The vet gave us antibiotics and pain pills. The first couple days were really hard on Duke. He didn't have a cast on, but it was wrapped with bandages. He wanted so badly to lay on his bad side, but couldn't use his leg to lower himself to the ground. We have a king sized bed and we kept the mattress on the floor so he would have access to it. The first few days he struggled getting on it. I think it was just he wasn't used to not being able to use his leg! The only other problem we had was stairs! We had to go up and down stairs for him to potty or go outside. My husband put his belt around Duke's tummy, and held his chest with his harness and carried him up and down for the first week. After that Duke had figured it out how to do it on 3 legs.

After that the hardest part was not letting Duke run, and keeping him limited with his activity while he healed. About a month or so after surgery Duke was allowed to be off lead and do as he pleased. He went from barely using his leg, to using it 50% of the time, then 75%, and then 90%.

Now that it's been nearly a year, if you saw him walking, running, jumping, or playing in the yard with his sister you would have NO idea he ever had a knee problem or surgery. He uses it 100%. I have been so thankful, and so grateful the surgery worked so well! If he has a really physical day, where he is running for a couple of hours, swimming, chasing squirrels/bunnies, he will limp a little in the evening. By the next morning though he's back to normal again.

I am very satisfied with our decision to do the lateral fabellar suture vs. the TPLO. For us it worked perfectly, and if his other cruciate ruptures, we'll probably do the lateral fabellar suture again. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM

14 posts, read 29,978 times
No reason for sticker shock for surgery. Look into what else is available before jumping into surgery and all that comes with it like severe infections, complications, and even higher vet bills on top of the surgery vet bill.

There are cheaper safer alternatives for acl ccl cruciate knee joint injuries in dogs that really do work.

Your vet will not tell you because dog knee joint surgeries are very profitable. Note the sticker shock.

If a vet is referring the patient to an orthopedic surgeon then the vet receives a referral fee or reward of some 10-15% of the cost of the surgery so every vet has a big incentive to push surgery over any safer alternative. Say a referred surgery is $4500 then the referring vet would receive payment of $450. Not shabby, as many vets have a strong incentive to refer surgery then to mention a safer cheaper alternative.

Sorry to hear that your Dog has a torn ccl acl joint. You may want to consider a custom Dog Knee Brace for your dog very soon to start supporting the injured leg to take the pressure off the good leg.

If both legs have a torn ccl acl then you can get two Dog Knee Braces to support both legs, as many others are now doing.

We went to PoshDogKneeBrace.com - Home or search with words Posh Dog Knee Brace for lots of informative info RE Dog Knee Brace VS Surgery and read the NEWS page with informative articles at the site.

Our own elderly large dog had a torn ACL CCL full rupture and torn meniscus. Vet estimated $4625+ for ccl acl tplo surgery and another $1200 for aftercare or another $3000 for any complications. The very painful surgery with very high risks and failure were unacceptable to us. Instead, we got a fully functioning global stabilizing posh dog knee brace that really works better and safer than any ccl acl tplo tta type surgeries without the long list of complications caused by dog acl ccl cruciate joint knee surgeries.

Our dog healed without surgery wearing the Posh Dog Knee Brace for 10+ months and was able to walk longer and longer each day wearing the dog knee brace and many others dogs are now wearing the Posh Dog Knee Brace and NOT getting surgery because their dogs can heal without surgery wearing a Dog knee brace that globally supports the knee so the knee can heal. A Dog Knee Brace is the safer cheaper alternative instead of surgery.

Please don't put your poor dog thru this very painful unnecessary joint surgery with a very low success rate and high dangerous side effects when there is a safer alternative that is cheaper too.

We had pet insurance that would pay for either the excruciating painful joint surgery or the safer painless Posh Dog Knee Brace. We had a choice since pet insurance pays for dog knee braces because they do work better than surgery without the many complications that surgery offers.

Many Veterinarians lie (or fail to mention dog knee braces- same as lying) to force patients to buy knee joint surgery that their dog really does NOT need and will not tell patients about safer cheaper alternatives. They think by telling patients to kill their dog or get painful joint surgery, the patients will find the money for the vet to profit from the surgery.

There are a few honest vets, usually holistic vets that do tell their patients that dog knee braces are a safer option to start with, and if it works, avoid surgery at all costs.

Well known Fido Friendly Magazine recommends dog knee braces, see link be low...
or search with words
Fido Friendly Magazine Dog Knee Brace to find it
Posh Dog Knee Brace Provides Non-Surgical Recovery From Dog Knee Ligament Injuries | FIDO Friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs