Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,855 times

Advertisements

So Ive been a rotten owner this year...I havent had either of my boys on preventative because money has been extremely tight and I couldnt afford it.

Are there any cheaper options besides the Heartguard brand? Jasper is due for his vet appointment tomorrow, and Im a little scared now that I think about it. They're inside alot during the summer, dont have fleas, and the mosquito population in my little area isnt bad....Still, Im nervous.

Also, Jasper is 8...what tests will they do on him since he's older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
They will do a heartworm antigen test but that is only going to detect if an infection has gone to the point of adults being present. It is very important to get a test and start treating. When I moved from Asheville to Upstate of SC I did my routine of holding back the HW prevention during the Winter. It was a mistake and I wound up with a heartworm positive dog which cost a heck of a lot more than the drugs themselves.

American Heartworm Society | Canine Guidelines

Yes, you can use pig or horse ivermectin if you are careful about the dosing and it is pretty cheap to go that route but there have been recent problems of dogs getting HW despite the Ivermectin
and if your dog has the MDR-1 Gene (Collies and some other herding dogs) your dog may have a problems with the drug being toxic to them.
Ivomec dosage for dogs... yet again - Farm Life Forum - GardenWeb

Resistance to preventives has been on the rise.
http://www.findretrievers.com/news/w...in-heartworms/

The Bayer Experience 2011

Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
i get heartguard plus from deadfleaz.com ..... it is an australian site.... no vet prescription required and is about 1/2 the cost of buying it anywhere here.... it IS the real thing.....

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,555,928 times
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForCons.../ucm115432.pdf

It is one thing to give Ivermectin without prescription because it is often used over time as an adulticide (under a specific regimen for people who can't afford the main treatment) but completely irresponsible to sell the others without a script.

FWIW

50-100lb Sentinel ---- $75 there. I bought it from my vet for $85 and got a legitimate Rebate coupon.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

It is one thing to give Ivermectin without prescription because it is often used over time as an adulticide (under a specific regimen for people who can't afford the main treatment) but completely irresponsible to sell the others without a script.

FWIW

50-100lb Sentinel ---- $75 there. I bought it from my vet for $85 and got a legitimate Rebate coupon.

I am aware of all of the above..... my dogs are tested every year at their annual checkups.....

from the deadfleaz website:

Manufacturer: Merial Australia. Active ingredient: Ivermection + pyrantel. Product packaged for the Australian market.
DISPENSED FROM A JURISDICTION IN WHICH A PRESCRIPTION IS NOT REQUIRED.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CANNOT ACCEPT RETURNS OF THIS PRODUCT DUE TO CUSTOMS RESTRICTIONS.

and

Deadfleaz.com is owned and maintained by Aussie Pet Direct Pty Ltd, a veterinarian owned, registered Australian company. As such, you have the security of dealing with a reputable business - one with the expertise to support every product sold.
Aussie Pet Direct Pty Ltd has been operating on eBay since 2004, and has serviced the needs of 4,000+ international pet owners through our eBay store. Check out the testimonials of our eBay customers.
Our mission:
To improve the quality of life of people and their pets by making quality pet health products available at affordable prices.
Our products:
For more information about the products we provide, please us the menu options displayed on the left. You may browse our store using the listed categories, or search for a product using the search facility at the top of the page. If you cannot find a product which you need, or have a question for our on-staff veterinarian, please contact us.
Further information concerning our products is available through our FAQ.
Our details:
Aussie Pet Direct Pty Ltd
Registered company ABN: 32 112 074 290
Address:PO Box 7293
BRENDALE QLD 4500
AUSTRALIA
Telephone:0421 177 242 (Australia)
+61 421 177 242 (International) Internet:www.deadfleaz.com E-mail:sales@deadfleaz.com Web-form:contact us eBay id:aussiepetdirect eBay e-mail:sales@aussiepetdirect.com

i researched them before i ever bought a single thing from them and am quite satisfied with them and their products........

Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
That is why I love Revolution.

It is SO more than just flea protection.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I buy heartworm meds from Pet Shed in Australia. You can get Revolution from them too.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:32 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

FWIW

Every one is entitled to their opinion. I also buy from deadfleaz because:

a. my dogs are on HW preventitive all year
b. my dogs are HW tested every year by my vet

I don't purchase my HW preventitive from a US site because:

a. I have better things to do with my US dollars than subsidize the "lawsuit-happy" environment of the US by overpaying for my dogs meds.
b. I also did an extensive check into this company before ordering. They are a legitimate Aussie company offering legitimate drugs at a better price than I can find here in the US.

So for those of you that do have your dogs on year-round HW preventitive and are just looking for a place to save money when buying it, so far this is a good site.

For everyone else.....Get your dog HW tested by your vet first.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,076 times
Talking Heartgard Plus...

I understand money being tight.

You will still need a prescription from your vet but I get the generic for Heartgard Plus 51-100 lbs, 6 tabs for $23 at:
Canadian Pharmacy Online | Drugstore.

The trick can be getting your vet to write a prescription. My vet said they would match any price, I told them I found a generic Heartgard plus for $23. They said they didn't carry the generic. So, I asked if they could write a prescript.? They did without issue.

They also have prescription meds for people; generic and name brands for less. I have purchased there for about four years now and have been competely satisfied.

DrsFosterSmith.com is $38.34 for the name brand (Heartgard Plus).

Hope this helps!

"From wet noses to wiggly butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs