Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:29 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,196,890 times

Advertisements

I can't tell you how much 'Ohhh's and Wow's" I encounter with my 2 GSDs. Every time i take them out in public, pet stores, parks, what not, i get this: "Your dogs are so well behaved!!" Aren't yours?? When they ask the question, what do they mean? I'm not sure if this is coming from people who don't own pets, or from people who have no clue how to train them? Or they automatically assume that German Shepherds must bark and bite and jump on everyone? Is that a breed issue?

Don't get me wrong, i love hearing this from people, but at the same time, i'm totally amazed by how many people are amused with well-behaved dogs.
What is your view on this? Would love to hear what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 03:32 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,292,607 times
I also hear it all the time. Mostly, my dog listens if it suits her to do so or if she thinks she is in trouble. I think there are a lot of folks out there who have good dogs with no manners.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:57 PM

21 posts, read 103,669 times
Our saint is super friendly....she walks nicely and listens to us in public if we tell her to leave something.....and when people pet her she wiggles and wags her tail and i think alot of people think "friendliness" is being well behaved and well trained. She knows basic stuff but nothing fancy and i have thought the same thing when people say "oh she is so well behaved"....cause i think shes pretty good but not near one of the best trained dogs i have seen-completely our fault for abandoning training classes after age 2!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,853,783 times
Our German Shepherd - Portia is very well behaved. We had some problems teaching her how to walk nicely, but now she's fine... Hef is well behaved, but not as good as Portia. He is getting there though. When we got him, he didn't know many things, but we taught him how to sit, lay down, jump, walk nicely...BUT WHEN THEY SEE A CAT, THEY GO NUTS!!!Then, they start pulling like crazy...

Old 08-19-2007, 04:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,542,649 times
Sometimes the size of dog or breed makes people think mean and such..
My bloodhounds scare people with the size.100+ pounds but most they do is lick ya to death can barely meke em howl when in public and a great many have tried.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:44 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,186,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I can't tell you how much 'Ohhh's and Wow's" I encounter with my 2 GSDs. Every time i take them out in public, pet stores, parks, what not, i get this: "Your dogs are so well behaved!!" Aren't yours?? When they ask the question, what do they mean? I'm not sure if this is coming from people who don't own pets, or from people who have no clue how to train them? Or they automatically assume that German Shepherds must bark and bite and jump on everyone? Is that a breed issue?

Don't get me wrong, i love hearing this from people, but at the same time, i'm totally amazed by how many people are amused with well-behaved dogs.
What is your view on this? Would love to hear what you have to say.
That's great! That shows what a wonderful owner you are and how smart your dogs are! We get that quite a bit with Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda. Brooklyn is amazing! He is so unbelievably smart! It takes no time at all to teach him something! When he was a puppy it only took a few days to completely house break him and it took about 3 days to teach him how to sit, stay, come, lay down, roll over, shake and stand on his back paws! He also just catches onto things a lot of the time so, with a lot of his cute little tricks we didn't ever really train him to do them! Destiny is also very well behaved and very smart, but she is still a puppy so she really just likes to play all day! It took a little bit longer to house break her than it did Brooklyn, but it still took less than a week. It didn't take her long at all to learn all of the basics like sit, stay, come, lay down, roll over, etc. Now, Jayda is very well behaved and smart as well, but we just got Jayda not too long ago and because her horrible "owner" just chained her up on the back porch and left her to die we have had to just completely train her! She's about 9 months old and no one has ever worked with her! She is house broken now and she knows all of the basics, but we are still working on little things like not to go in the kitchen and not to jump. She is getting better everyday though, all we have to do is tell her once to not jump or get out of the kitchen and she listens. All three of our pups are very smart, well trained, well socialized and obedient! I'm always so proud to take my pups out, even if it's just for their walks! We don't really take them out in public too often, but that's just because they are American Pit Bull Terriers and so many people are scared of them because of the way they look. They behave wonderfully in public, but they love people, especially children and when they see someone, especially a child they will start to wag their tail and you can just tell that they want to go see the child. Then as soon as the child's parents see our dogs they will grab their child and pretty much run away! We have also had people not let us bring our dogs into pet stores just because of their breed, we have had people yell nasty things at us and even throw things at us all because of the breed we own! It breaks my heart and I just can't stand it. I'm glad our dogs don't understand why people do that kind of crap! Plus, I just figured, if people are really that scared of our little (well, they aren't really little.. lol.. they are medium) love bugs it would just be more respectful to not take them places. So anyway, because of stuff like that we don't take them out to the pet store or anything like that, but we do take them to the park, the beach and they go on 2 or 3 walks a day. People in our neighborhood know that they are wonderful, friendly dogs and they aren't scared of them.. thank God! We have people come up and tell us how beautiful they are, how well behaved they are, etc and people always seem amazed that they are so well behaved and sweet! I never really thought about the way you mentioned, I always assumed that people were amazed by our dogs because our dogs are "pit bulls" and I just thought that most people just to assume that our dogs are blood thirsty, man eating, monster dogs! I guess it could be a little bit of both. It bothers me when I see people with dogs that aren't well behaved! You shouldn't own a dog if you can't properly raise, train and socialize it and keep it under control! There is no excuse to have a dog that's not well behaved! That's the main reason why people want certain breeds banned, morons will get a dog and they won't do what needs to be done to properly care for and control the breed or they will porously abuse and neglect the dog and train it to be mean and fight! People need to research whatever breed they are getting before they get it to make sure that breed is right for them. Then they need to do what needs to be done for that breed, exercise it properly, feed it properly, groom it properly, etc. They need to properly raise, train and socialize their dog and make sure they keep their dog under control! Owning a dog is a full time job and a lot of people don't understand that until it's too late. A dog owner needs to be educated on their breed and on dogs in general and they need to be responsible and respectful. Anyway, I need to stop or I will go on and on forever, but yes we have gotten that from quite a few people as well and like I said, I always assumed that it was because the breed we own.

**Wow! I just posted this and then when I went back to look at it I noticed that I used a lot of smily faces! lol!**

Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,474,891 times
Our min pin was abused. We adopted her from the shelter and was not socialized at all. She will go after people, animals, cars you name it if it moves she will kill it. Part of it is due to her abuse and lack of socialization, the other part is due to her being almost completely blind in one eye. On top of that she suffers from "fly bite seizures" and is heavily medicated because of them. We cannot take her in public for her safety and the safety of everything else involved. Walking her at night people say things like "is that doginsane" or "damn that dog is not right". She may have her issues but she is still a great little dog.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Our min pin was abused. We adopted her from the shelter and was not socialized at all. She will go after people, animals, cars you name it if it moves she will kill it. Part of it is due to her abuse and lack of socialization, the other part is due to her being almost completely blind in one eye. On top of that she suffers from "fly bite seizures" and is heavily medicated because of them. We cannot take her in public for her safety and the safety of everything else involved. Walking her at night people say things like "is that doginsane" or "damn that dog is not right". She may have her issues but she is still a great little dog.
Aww! People can be so mean! People say stupid crap like that when they see our dogs too, but it's because of their breed. Same kind of thing though, either way it's rude and completely uncalled for! It's great that your little girl has such wonderful owners/ parents, sounds like she is a very lucky girl! It's also really good to hear that there are responsible owners out there!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 AM

612 posts, read 2,783,963 times
My dogs are not well behaved at all. I have a retarded Siberian Husky that I can't train at all but he is so lovable, I don't even care. My rottweiler is much better trained and sweet as anything (to us) but very protective of his family and even our best friends are scared to death of him. I don't care though, when my young daughter was running around the pool and got too close to the side, to see my rotty jump in to break her fall was all I needed to know about how good he is.

Taking them out in public....eeeks.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
My dogs are not well behaved at all. I have a retarded Siberian Husky that I can't train at all but he is so lovable, I don't even care. My rottweiler is much better trained and sweet as anything (to us) but very protective of his family and even our best friends are scared to death of him. I don't care though, when my young daughter was running around the pool and got too close to the side, to see my rotty jump in to break her fall was all I needed to know about how good he is.

Taking them out in public....eeeks.
I'm probably going to get some people that disagree with me on this, but I really think that some dogs really just aren't very well behaved and that's just how they are going to be! It's not really a bad thing though, as long as the owner knows their dog and it's likes and dislikes, so that you can prevent anything bad from happening. As long as you don't put your dogs in a situation where something bad could happen and as long as you know how to control your dogs, it's not a big deal! Well, that's how I feel anyway. It sounds like you know your dogs really well and your a responsible owner, and I think that's is one of the most important things! That's awesome that your Rotty jumped into the pool to watch out for your little girl! Dog really are amazing creatures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs