Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,104,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Be careful who you donate to. The HSUS (Humane Society of the United States)

The HSUS is not associated with local shelters that may be called Humane Societies. They have a budget of about 100 million, but give less than 1% of that money to actual shelters. The HSUS actually does not run ANY shelters- if they do receive animals, they farm them out to other groups. They use deceptive ads to make it appear as if they directly support area shelters, and have even used images of dogs that they were never involved in helping. The end result is that people donate thinking the moeny will help animals directly in their local shelter, which means local shelters are underfunded.

The HSUS also supports outdated policies, or did until very recently and only changed only great public pressure. While they are involved in 'rescuing' dogs from fighting operations, they had a blanket policy that all such dogs had to be killed- including puppies that were not yet born, or had been born in the care of a foster home. They supported the killing of the Vick's dogs, which have been rescued and many have gone on to be family pets and some are involved in therapy work.
I think the national Humane Society if more of a political action committe, rather than a "town shelter". It involves itself more in the larger political campaigns than the individual shelter support. They each serve a purpose, but you have to as you say, be careful and know which one you are supporting. But all of the work done by local and national animal rights groups are all necessary but if you want to help your local group only...then you should donate directly to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,783,001 times
This is one of my favorite quotes: "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - Martin Luther King, Jr

I would never just turn my head if any animal was being abused or human. Not sure why I haven't been arrested or shot by now...I always speak up, step in and basically look like a crazy person sometimes but I don't care.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:44 PM

574 posts, read 1,065,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
This is one of my favorite quotes: "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - Martin Luther King, Jr

I would never just turn my head if any animal was being abused or human. Not sure why I haven't been arrested or shot by now...I always speak up, step in and basically look like a crazy person sometimes but I don't care.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs