Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times

Advertisements

... is their ability show absolutely no pain. Yesterday he was limping on his hind leg, so I did what ive done with other dogs, feel around, squeeze, pull, polk yada yada to isolate the problem and he didnt even have a look ofpain in his eyes, in fact I struggled to stop him licking me while doing it. So I wake up this more and now he will not put any weight at all on that leg, so i feel again, same result, now im off to the vet .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,168,522 times
Dogs are very tollerent of the pain. The reason he was licking you is to let you know he's in pain and wanted you to stop poking him. Let us know what vet visit result is.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Just got back. The Vet said the same I did. He said when you usually do the test the dog yelps or at the very least looks at you. He said with the nature of the Staff they dont do that *but* he did notice the dog focus on the wall when he squeezed a muscle round his knee. So he gave him some anti inflamitory for it and well see how it goes. I just cant walk him and I have to take down his high pull toys.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
... is their ability show absolutely no pain. Yesterday he was limping on his hind leg, so I did what ive done with other dogs, feel around, squeeze, pull, polk yada yada to isolate the problem and he didnt even have a look ofpain in his eyes, in fact I struggled to stop him licking me while doing it. So I wake up this more and now he will not put any weight at all on that leg, so i feel again, same result, now im off to the vet .....
The same happened to Portia!!!And the worst part about is that we took her to 3 different vets, and they cannot see what's wrong with her!!!They just gave her some anti - inflammatories. They took a scan of her leg, did some tests, and they don't know why is she limping!!!Actually, she doesn't even put weight on that leg!!!We'll see how it goes...For now, nothing changed when it comes to her not putting weight on her leg. She plays with Hef and runs, like she was before, but as soon as she stops running, she limps...Badly...And when I touch her - she shows no pain. Like your dog!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times
Quote:
Haha.. I read the title of your thread "The *downside* of owning a Staff" and I was thinking.. What? I didn't know there was a downside to owning any of the "pit bull" breeds! lol! Besides of course, BSL.

I know exactly what that's like! Our three APBTs are just like that! It's sooo hard to tell if they are really okay or not! Ours do the same thing when they are sick as well, they won't show that they are miserable! The only way we can tell with Brooklyn is he will start to shake if he needs to throw up! He such an amazing dog, he won't throw up in the house, but he won't let me know he needs to go out either! He will just sit there until it's time for them to go outside! It scares me to know that they are sooo good at hiding things. I worry about every little thing as it is and since they do hide everything so well, if they act even the slightest bit weired I freak out because I know it takes a lot for them to show any sign of anything! And just like you said with Dakota, they will just lick you to death no matter how much pain they are in! Anyway, I hope Dakota is okay! Let us know what's going on when you know.

*I just read your post about what the vet said.. That's good that they don't think it's anything really serious! I hope Dakota is better soon!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Im sure hell be back to the monsterous "dangerous dog" that he was in no time

Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Im sure hell be back to the monsterous "dangerous dog" that he was in no time
Haha! I'm sure he will!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Cruciated Tendon. It's what's called the "football injury". If it is bad enough, the dog will need surgery and you don't want to wait (or it will heal deformed).

Pitbulls are VERY suceptible to cruciated tendons because of their tight muscle structure.

Mine had to have her entire leg opened and artificial parts put in - pretty major surgery - yet when the injury occurred she did not even flinch, just held her leg up like your is doing. Pits don't show pain like a "normal" dog .

I'd get the dog in to the vet right away - PM me if you need any more info or need to hear about the healing process (long).

Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Thats what he suggested was the football injury. Hes giving it two weeks then well take the next step.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thats what he suggested was the football injury. Hes giving it two weeks then well take the next step.
Oh wow, well then I guess it could end up being pretty serious? I hope it doesn't get serious, I hope Dakota is feeling better soon! Brooklyn, Destiny and Jayda send get well doggy kisses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs