Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Given all the aggressive dog threads around here, I thought I'd find out if people on here have any bite stories...bitten by their own dog, that is.

I never have been. I have never even owned a dog that tried to bite me. I don't think I have ever had a dog that even conceived that they could bite me. I don't know if it's luck, breed, or relationship established.

So let's hear your story. And maybe some ideas about why you think the dog decided it could even do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Many, many, many times. And I'm sure there will be plenty more in my future. Started at 5 years old when a poodle in a grocery store bit my just below my eye. As an adult I got into rescue work and have been a human chew toy ever since. Dogs in pain, dogs that are afraid or sick, or dogs that are aggressive. Been bit by them all. I've never had one of mine bite me though. And I've never had one in my rescue bite me. They've always been in shelters or dogs I'm trying to help in bad situations.

Oh wait, I've had one in the rescue try to bite me. A doxie. Crazy little monster. He tried once and we came to a very fast understanding and I never had a problem with him after that. However, he went to a trainer for a while because of his attitude and bit someone there. Went to another trainer and bit someone there. That was his third strike and I had to have him put down. Two people going to the hospital because of bites from him - people experienced in training dogs - and I won't trust them to be rehabbed enough to be adopted out.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:55 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Well, yeah...given your occupation and your generous donation of time taking care of these animals during difficult periods in their lives, you have been bitten...

But the question is...by your own dog.

I know lots of reasons to get nailed by a strange dog.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:59 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Sorry, but any biting has always come from a cat but never a dog. Cats have absolutely no qualms about biting me with feeling.

I have known an aggressive dog--a white GSD (what a beauty!) who was the NICEST dog, except in his owner's car; if he was in the car, and you tried to approach, he would go crazy. I also knew another dog that attacked my dog (but not me) b/c my dog was running past her house (a.k.a. her "territory").

So, IMHE, the aggressive dogs that I have known have simply been adament about defending their turf. and issuing warnings rather than doing any real harm. I think that heeding their warnings has been instrumental in preventing an actual bite.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
By my Own dogs NO By Rescues 1 Time!! Tho the Bite was minor I ended up in the Hospital in Shock!

Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I'm not sure if this counts, because I was little and teasing our Miniature Poodle. I knew I was wrong and felt guilty when my mother yelled at the dog instead of asking "What did you do to her?" As an adult, no. I had a chow mix once that when we first got her made warning bitey moves at me a couple of times, but with a little work she became a wonderful dog.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Never bitten by any of my own dogs, but many years ago I rescued (or so I thought) a little dog from the railroad tracks, and he bit me on my hand. Still have the scar. Apparently the dog played on the tracks and lived in an apartment not too far away.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yes I have been bitten by my own dog when the dog was fighting with another dog I had to break it up before someone got killed and she nailed me right behind my leg in my calf took 7 stitches to the calf and after a hospital trip I seperated both those dogs that night and re homed the other one soon after that incident . I will never again own a dog who bites its owner end of story. This was years ago and I have not been bitten by my own dog since .

Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
My story is similar to lPhoneladys. It was Dylan's Grandfather....( Golden), whom I was walking. A neighbors dog ran out and charged us...They started to fight and I foolishly stuck my leg inbetween them to break up the fight. I had on shorts and Chevy raked my thigh with both teeth and nails. Dumb. dumb, dumb on my part. I had a gash about 6 inches long and def. needed stitches...except, I was afraid to go to a dr. and they would report it as a dog bite. I butterflied the gash...got yelled at by many...but it finally healed. But not before turning all pretty colors of blue, yellow and purple. I swear, poor Chevy realized what he had done and was so ashamed of himself. No dog of mine, has ever intentionally bit me.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
As crazy as Artie is, he certainly knows who feeds, walks, plays with, and loves him. He's never bitten me. Other people? No problem! Me? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs