Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM

142 posts, read 571,159 times

Advertisements

We were out on a walk and my dog got a pricker in her foot (it happens often living in the desert) She stopped so I could take it out but where we stopped there was a bunch of big black ants. She was bitten at least twice on her feet. She reacted immediately, whimpering and licking at her feet she didn't even want to walk. I finally got her home and put baking soda and water paste on her. She keeps licking and chewing at the paw and kicking her leg out. I know she is uncomfortable, DH said wait an hour then we can take her to the vet if she is still in pain. There is no swelling and I don't even see the bite mark. What can I do to help her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Apply ice like you would for yourself so you don't give him frostbite.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:57 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
you can also try some benedryl to counteract the venom......dosage depends on dog's weight..... bailey weighs about 50 lbs and i will give her one children's chewable benedryl (12.5 mg) when her allergy eyes are bothering her.......and make ABSOLUTELY sure it is NOTHING but benedryl (or store brand) .... NOTHING for fever or aches or coughs or ANYTHING else.......

Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
You can rub some meat tenderizer on the paw and really rub it in with some olive oil. It will break up the protiens from the ant. I second the benedryl if you have an emergency vet number on hand just in case the pet reacts. My ex-roomies dog would take that dose (same wt about) when he was getting itchy skin from allergies and would chew himself.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley620 View Post
We were out on a walk and my dog got a pricker in her foot (it happens often living in the desert) She stopped so I could take it out but where we stopped there was a bunch of big black ants. She was bitten at least twice on her feet. She reacted immediately, whimpering and licking at her feet she didn't even want to walk. I finally got her home and put baking soda and water paste on her. She keeps licking and chewing at the paw and kicking her leg out. I know she is uncomfortable, DH said wait an hour then we can take her to the vet if she is still in pain. There is no swelling and I don't even see the bite mark. What can I do to help her?
My Vet said to give my dogs Benadryl when they get bit by ants. Call your Vet and ask them how much you should give your pet.

busta

Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
you can also try some benedryl to counteract the venom......dosage depends on dog's weight..... bailey weighs about 50 lbs and i will give her one children's chewable benedryl (12.5 mg) when her allergy eyes are bothering her.......and make ABSOLUTELY sure it is NOTHING but benedryl (or store brand) .... NOTHING for fever or aches or coughs or ANYTHING else.......
I would second that suggestion. Dogs can be safely dosed EXTREMELY high with diphenhydramine (relative to humans). 1 mg per pound of body weight is usually the low end of the canine dosage. If you take a dog to the vet with an acute histamine reaction they will go to 3 or 4 mg per pound of body weight without batting an eye.

Also, your dog does not need to go to the vet for two ant stings unless all kinds of stuff is very obviously going wrong. If you have ant stings, you have an inconvenience. With human babies, ice cream will fix that; no need to wallet whip it. If you have a dog that is swelling up over its entire body because of ant stings, then you have a problem that needs attention.

Dogs are not usually that breakable.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
My dog laid on top of a nest of black ants once. Lots ot little red, inflamed stings! I used fresh aloe juice or alor vera gel and the inflammation subsided instantly.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:31 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I third (fourth?) the Benedryl. A simple phone call to the vet can give you the dosage.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 26,126 times
but my dog is sleeping alot and urinating alot

Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,774,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gina032467 View Post
but my dog is sleeping alot and urinating alot
Are you saying your dog got bitten by ants and is now sleeping alot and urinating alot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs