Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:00 AM

574 posts, read 1,065,677 times

Advertisements

One of my dogs lately has been eating a little grass when I first let him out, and then vomits. He only does this when first let out in the morning. One of my other dogs tends to vomit as well. It's the yellow, clear type. Nothing in it. Mind you they both tend to lick themselves a lot. Don't know if this is tied together or not, but has anyone had any experience with this? Their appetites are fine and their behavour is the same playful behavour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:02 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,249,701 times
When do you feed them? If their stomachs have been empty for too long it can make them vomit bile. Try giving them a very small meal later in the evening or before you go to bed.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
When do you feed them? If their stomachs have been empty for too long it can make them vomit bile. Try giving them a very small meal later in the evening or before you go to bed.
I leave food out all day starting in the morning. I gave them all a snack last night around 9 pm. Would it be better to pick up the food in the am and put it down again around dinner time?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,172,197 times
Ditto the suggestion to give a night time snack.

My lab gets queasy and will vomit up bile if he goes too long between meals.

Edit: I'm not a fan of free feeding, although I guess it works for some dogs. Mine would all be obese if I left food out all day!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Ditto the suggestion to give a night time snack.

My lab gets queasy and will vomit up bile if he goes too long between meals.

Edit: I'm not a fan of free feeding, although I guess it works for some dogs. Mine would all be obese if I left food out all day!
Three of my dogs are very trim. My oldest is heavy but is on thyroid meds too.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,582 times
I went through a phase of this with my dog as well a few years back. He would naturally wake me up around 2:30 a.m. for a pee break, and at that time, I'd put about about 1/2 cup of kibble in his bowl. It cured the early-morning / empty-stomach vomits. The whole phase only lasted about 3 months. Not sure what brought it on. He hasn't had the issue since.

Just keep in mind that extra food in the middle of the night means that you may need to adjust their day-time food so that you don't wind up overfeeding.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
yellow is stomach acid/bile...otherwise known as acid reflux... id give a ligth snack just before bedtime and see if that helps

Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 PM

Many thanks guys. What if he won't eat his kibble? I gave him a treat before bed last night and he threw up this morning when let out? Ideas on snacks?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,874,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Many thanks guys. What if he won't eat his kibble? I gave him a treat before bed last night and he threw up this morning when let out? Ideas on snacks?
i like boiled chicken, or a little bit of wet food. kibble swells in the stomach and can sometimes sit a little too heavy before bed, be chicken, low sodium hotdog or a little good quality wet food seems todo quite nicely

some dogs will continue to do this even with a snack before bed...its not nessicairly dangerous (as long as its just 1 bout early in the morning) but if a snack before bed isnt helping it might be worth a call to the vet to see if you can get doggy antacids or check to see if there might eb an underlying intestinal issue.

personally i also free feed, in my experience dogs do much better "grazing" (more natural for them since they wouldnt naturally eat on a schedual, theyd eat when hungry or whenever they find something to scavenge) but if not started young they can be piggies (and some dogs are just chow hounds)
ive personally free fed my entire life and never had an overweight dog...but we do start them early lol.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i like boiled chicken, or a little bit of wet food. kibble swells in the stomach and can sometimes sit a little too heavy before bed, be chicken, low sodium hotdog or a little good quality wet food seems todo quite nicely

some dogs will continue to do this even with a snack before bed...its not nessicairly dangerous (as long as its just 1 bout early in the morning) but if a snack before bed isnt helping it might be worth a call to the vet to see if you can get doggy antacids or check to see if there might eb an underlying intestinal issue.

personally i also free feed, in my experience dogs do much better "grazing" (more natural for them since they wouldnt naturally eat on a schedual, theyd eat when hungry or whenever they find something to scavenge) but if not started young they can be piggies (and some dogs are just chow hounds)
ive personally free fed my entire life and never had an overweight dog...but we do start them early lol.
Always fed my dogs the same way. I did feed the dog in question to chicken treats from Costco last night and no vomiting this morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs