Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,174,701 times

Advertisements

OK then....can't help you with the why but how about this: Work on luring her into fast, fun, on-leash u-turns. FUN. Play, the best treats you can muster, a toy that turns her on, running, whatever gets her following you. Do this around the house, or randomly on walks when she's already following you, make it a game and give it a name. Do this until she's pretty solid and reliable about it.

Then when she stops and plants, walk a few steps in the direction she wants to go in, then do the u-turn game.

Although I think there are times (depending on the dog) when it's fine to use negative/punitive measures, it's not fair to make the dog scared or mistrustful, and it seems Daisy might react this way. That's assuming she really is, and you are not being overly-solicitous of her behaviour; she's probably not the fragile flower needing help you think she is, most dogs are pretty darned resilient if allowed to be if you get what I am saying here...

But anyhow, I was once told many years ago that training should be "structured play" and I think this is a really good mindset to get into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 AM

33 posts, read 60,139 times
Chiroptera -

Great idea. I've seen or read about something like this, I think - doing the U-turns. I'm going to google it and watch some videos to see how it's done.
Then I'll try it next walk.

Oh, your comment about walking with another dog is right on. She does walk really well when there's another dog. Whenever I run into an appropriate owner/dog, I ask if we can walk with them for a few blocks. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone we can do this with regularly yet. Everyone works a lot here and it's hard to fit yet another thing in one's schedule - especially doing a favor for us! One of our good friends has a dog and lives nearby - and this would be perfect - but her dog is reactive to other dogs, so it's not possible.

I'm sure everything will be better with time. I've been a cat owner for 9 years and am just learning so much about dogs now. Daisy is very much a "wild" dog from a rural area and not really used to civilization and being a family pet. Our cat was like this, too, and with time he became the house pet we know today and the wildness has pretty much left him. He's a big love bug now.
I just have to be patient.

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,240 times
I had a trainer tell me that if you want a dog to obey you, you have to show them you are the alpha male. When I first got my dog, she didn't want to stop sniffing the yard and come to me when I called her. I walked over to her, and lead her by the collar to where I was standing when I called. I didn't have to do that very many times and she started coming to me immediately. The first couple of times she obeyed immediately I gave her a treat, now I give her a pat on the side and tell her what a good girl she is. When we are walking she likes to take her time sniffing here and there, sometimes I let her and some times I say "come on, girl" and give a slight tug on the leash. She brings me great joy, and I tell her constantly what a good girl she is. My dog will do just about anything for praise.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:43 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,564,047 times
Ringo does this. Almost always on the way HOME from a walk. He doesn't want to go home; he wants to keep moving forward in the opposite direction.

He plants his feet; looks toward where he wants to go but then ends up going home anyway!

He goes soo s l o w on the way home too.

Lucy leads all the way home because she is the opposite - she is always in a hurry to get home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs