Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 01:48 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,400,602 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. We are having a bit of an issue with our three year old miniature schnauzer. He treats every bed we buy him like it's a toy. After a few months, he ends up tearing apart his bed, tearing the stuffing out, etc. He still sleeps in it, but his current one is ripped to shreds, and it's time for a new one. We've already gone through 3-4 beds with him.

Can anyone recommend a "tough" dog bed that he'll use, but not destroy? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 02:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,675 times
Default Dog bed...

When did this behavior start? Does he do this when you are around? If so, what do you do?

I don't think they make in-destructible dog beds or tough beds, oh except for one called the floor. (I'm kidding). However, what you may want to do is only put it (his dog bed) down at night to sleep on. Pick it up every morning. When it's time to go ni-nite, out comes his bed.

He needs to learn the bed is not a toy and if he destroys it, he can end up on the hard floor for the day. However, if you have carpet, it is neither hard nor cold so he'll be fine until bedtime.

Does he have other chew toys? Does he like to destroy them or just chew? Just wondering...

Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,431,781 times
I've had good luck with Kirkland beds (Costco brand) and my dogs also love their Kuranda bed Dog Beds, Dog Bunk Beds, Orthopedic & Chew Proof Dog Beds | Kuranda Dog Beds

I have three dogs (one weighs 76 lbs, one weighs 75 lbs and one weighs 42 lbs) and they regularly cuddle up together on an aluminum frame XX-large bed. The bed hasn't bent yet. We've had it for about a year and it's been outside in everything from direct summer sun and heat to blizzard conditions. It's often used as "safety" during games of tag and it gets jumped on a lot. So far, it shows no signs of wear or damage.

Edited to add: I forgot about the Coolaroo bed. I didn't expect it to last long, given the low price. I've been pleasantly surprised. It's another great bed that the dogs seem to like very much and which has held up very, very well. I don't know if Coolaroo has a website, but I ordered ours from Amazon for less than $30.

Last edited by tdna; 11-09-2011 at 07:24 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,057,291 times
I have 3 kuranda beds. One I've had since I adopted my boy, going on 5 years now. Did replace the material once as it was starting to get saggy and a couple of brackets, but to me it's well worth the money. My dad buys comforters at garage sales which I use to throw on top of the beds, so it's not throwing out too much money when they get destuffed.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,869,986 times
id go with kruanda, ir id go with blankets on the floor...

Old 11-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,918 times
Kuranda, no question. There is no possible way that a miniature schnauzer will be able to damage it. I have seen very aggressive large breed dogs try their best with minimal effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs