Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,239,716 times

Advertisements

I have always loved pure bred dogs. If I could afford the initial cost and care of a Newfoundland, I'd love to have one. I love the purebred look of a Golden or Labrador Retriever.

A few years back I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend a lot of money on a purebred from a breeder. I hadn't had a dog since I was a pre-teen, and didn't know how my first dog on my own would work out. For lack of a better phrase (hold your breath dog lovers) I got somewhat of a "starter dog" from the shelter. Neutered and adoption fees and everything, $50 out the door, cute little puppy. If he worked out, maybe get him a little buddy, my purebred of my dreams, maybe a Chocolate Labrador.

Fast forward a few years, and my buddy Everest (hence the user name) is a full grown dog. I still don't know what he is, and probably ever will, and I don't really care. He looked like St. Bernard as a pup, but now he looks like something that may have had a grandfather that was a Australian Shepherd lol. He hardly ever barks, stays by my side, great with the kids, doesn't go after other dogs, will fetch a tennis ball until my arm falls off.

I guess this all comes to what my purpose for this thread is. After having a "mutt" for the last couple years, I don't know if I could ever go to a breeder and buy a dog. I'm not getting on a soap box, I'm not one of those people that say "don't buy a dog when you can adopt a dog". I just couldn't pay for a dog knowing that dog I paid for prevented me from saving one.

How do you guys feel on the issue, I'm sure there are both dog owners that have got a dog from a shelter or a breeder, how do you feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,338,713 times
I love mutts but purebreds have their place in that some breeds are bred for specific purposes. You may get a mutt with the same qualities but you may not.

My reasons for getting my first purebred dog - a beagle - were two fold: I had had a mutt dog that had died, and I didn't want anything that reminded me of her. I had also had a beagle-dachshund cross when I was 12 - a boy had come to school with her, looking for a home and I took her home.

She was sweet and quiet - totally unlike a beagle. Anyway, the purebred beagle I got was for those two reasons, not realising that my beagle-dachshund cross was an aberration.

Then my long-time blue heeler companion died, and since I am rural, and since at the time my husband was in the hospital a lot, I wanted a dog I knew would protect me. My blue heeler was a great protective dog but it isn't necessarily what they are bred for. I also did not want a dog I would find myself comparing unfavorably to my blue heeler.

So I did a bit of reading and talking to my vet, and that was when I got my first German shepherd and she is a perfect dog in every way. Completely devoted to me, good with children, good on the farm, and I'm sure she would protect me at the expense of her own life.

Then two years after the female GSD, I got my male GSD because I was so totally won over by German shepherds and 2 GSDs meant I could go away with one dog, and my husband would still have one home to protect him.

I should add that they are from working lines, not show lines. And during all this time, I still had one mutt dog who I suspect had some collie in her and I loved her very much but if someone had broken into the house, she would have been hiding under the bed. She passed away almost 3 years ago.

If it wasn't for the fact that my female GSD believes that I should "have no other dogs before her," I would long since have adopted another dog.

The local paper features dogs available for adoption at the Humane Society and it gets to me more every day. I don't think there is something inherently special about a purebred dog except when someone is looking for a dog for a specific job like I was.

Mutts can fulfill that job but you can't be sure it will have those instincts.

Last edited by netwit; 03-14-2011 at 03:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
Always adopt when possible.

There are many full breed adoptions available, like Golden Retriever rescue, etc.

I've always found mutts to be outstanding finds.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
I have a bunch of rescued creatures, and I couldnt be happier...they are all amazing in their own, unique ways.
I'm not anti-breeder at all, I think there are some wonderful responsible, and passionate breeders out there who are in it purely for the love of the breed...but I wouldn't personally go to a breeder for any reason or ever breed myself.
I will continue to rescue for the rest of my life...it's a wonderful feeling to know you've saved a life that would have been lost, and the unconditional love and connection you're bestowed with is beyond any price !

Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 AM

972 posts, read 2,445,311 times
We usually adopt. Our best dog we found as a stray.

The downside is that you really don't know what you are getting. Our current dog is not what I expected at all from a mutt based on our past dogs. She is smarter than any pet I have ever own, even an amazing poodle when I was little. She has a high prey drive, is a bit larger than expected, and way more high energy than I could explain in words. Those are characteristics I would have tried to avoid if we were looking at breeders.

But, we still love her!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,776 times
I have a rescue JRT and I've had other breed rescues, but my next dog will be a purebred because I want to compete in companion events.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,948,893 times
We have worked with local humane societies for so long and I was always pro-adoption and still am, but like others I think that purebreds have their place too. As long as you don't get them out of the paper, petstore or other questionable source. If you are responsible and find a reputable breeder who tests for the recommended ailments as dictated by the National Organization for that breed, then I don't see any problem with buying a purebred. I felt horrible going that route initially to get my dog, but I really wanted to know the background of at least one of my animals and drove nearly 1,000 miles to get him since reputable breeder in the state I used to live in was not exactly something that was commonplace. The AKC finally has a Breeder of Merit award that will help anyone looking to find a reputable breeder the opportunity to narrow down their search. Of course you still need to do your research and their testing results must be posted in the OFFA database. Orthopedic Foundation for Animals I know in my case, I searched for a breeder for over a year. I thought that my humane society friends would not be happy with my choice, but they were as they knew the route I traveled to get my sweet pup. I don't regret having a mutt and purebred at all. They are both great dogs but I must admit our purebred was a lot easier to train. BTW, mutts can now compete in events (with the exception of conformation of course) - the AKC rolled out the program over a year ago I think? My mutt and I compete in Agility and Obedience trials along with my purebred. AKC Canine Partners. AKC program for Canine Partners.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,250,609 times
It is a dilemma when there is a breed you love. I love Great Danes. The one Great Dane I've had was one I talked out of a neighbor that had her and didn't need her, nor did they pay attention to her. She was only 7 months old. The other dog I have is a pittie that I found in front of my office in such a condition that she was nearly dead. I did't want, nor was l looking for a second dog, and I didn't think she would survive. She did survive, and is an absolutely loyal, sweet, and loving dog.

I don't think I could ever buy a dog, because like the OP said, if I did that just means there's a dog out there that didn't get rescued. The thought that a dog went to the gas chamber or died because I chose to buy a dog isn't somehting I can live with. Even when the time comes where I get another Great Dane I think I will be able to find one I can adopt.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 AM

268 posts, read 704,338 times
I will never buy a dog again. And I am a GSD fanatic, have 2. If I want another GSD in the future, I will save the life of one at a shelter. I have learned sooo much the last few years. And, some of the greatest dogs Ive met have been mutts or shelter dogs. There are precious jewels just waiting for a loving home and family. My conscience just won't allow me to go the breeder route now, ever again.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
Buy whichever one you want.
It's your choice.

Even thew most of you are 100% ageist the folks who breed there mutt or think, gee wouldn't it be fun to have some pups, that mutt down the street and fluffy would make cool pups but you run to the shelter to save them?

This logic is flawed.

"I don't think I could ever buy a dog, because like the OP said, if I did that just means there's a dog out there that didn't get rescued. The thought that a dog went to the gas chamber or died because I chose to buy a dog isn't somehting I can live with."

This purebred is already alive also.
What do you think will eventually happen to this dog if the breeder does not sell it or is not responsible? Will it see the same demise as a dog in the pound?

You have your reasons and you have justified them. It's your choice and I have never faulted someone for going to the pound and rescuing a dog but use some sound logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs