Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:18 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,670 times

Advertisements

My mom has a Shih Tzu (he's probably about 3 y.o.). Anyway, the poor thing scratches like crazy. I've told her to talk to her vet about food allergies. She now has him on a grain-free diet but he's still scratching.

Also, at 15+ lbs, I think he's also quite chunky. She does walk him daily but the weight remains. I wonder if a food allergy could cause bloating/weight issues?

Anyone have any been-there-done-that advice? Or useful links?

My mom is in some denial about his problems so I feel that I need to do some legwork to help the little guy.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
There are so many things that cause allergies. If your mom's got him on grain free, he may be allergic to beef or chicken - whatever the meat is in the food. How long has he been on it? It can take MONTHS for the allergens to work their way out of their body.

Could also be a cleaner she's using in the house, detergent she uses for bedding, flea allergy. Keep in mind that even when they're on flea preventatives fleas still bite before they die. So if they're sensitive to the fleas they'll still be very itchy.

In the meantime, check with the vet and see if it's ok for him to have a Benadryl to help with the itching.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Could be fleas. Here in my neck of the woods, Florida, the only thing that works for me is Confortis.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Oh! Be very careful with Comfortis the first time you use it. First, MAKE SURE you give it WITH food. Also know that smaller dogs can be sensitive to it. We used it not long ago and I thought we were going to lose two of our chihuahuas. For the ones not sensitive to it, it worked great though.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:31 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
How long has it been going on? When did you or her notice? What changed around that time?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My puppy was scratching all the time. I took her to the vet and she said it was dry skin. I've started giving her a fish oil capsule every day, and after a week, she quit scratching all the time. Her coat is very sleek and shiny now too.

These were just the regular fish oil capsules from the grocery store, not something specific for dogs. She thinks it's her best treat of the day...runs off to sit behind the couch to eat it slowly.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
My bichon has allergies and dry skin. My vet recommended that I put him on benadryl, use wipes on his paws after going outside, and a special dry skin shampoo. The allergies are MUCH better but probably not 100% gone.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 PM

48 posts, read 164,641 times
I have a 7 y/o shih tzu who also has skin allergies. We're assuming it's from one of the grasses at the local park since he tends to break out the most after going there. He's on a high-quality food, and nothing else had changed, so my vet prescribed him prednisone and a moisturizing spray. We also avoid that particular park once the breakouts start for the summer. Shihs are prone to skin allergies, and some are just more prone than others (I have 3 total). Her vet can prescribe allergy shots (just like people), but that's sort of a last-ditch effort.
As for the weight, shih tzu are supposed to max out around 17-18lbs (my big guy weighs about 17). You have to look at body type more than actual poundage though. My 11-pounder would be overweight around 13lbs, whereas my 17-pounder would be emaciated at 11. That's just something she should discuss with the vet.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:47 PM

213 posts, read 660,164 times
My Shih Tzu is allergie to Red 40, the dye they put in a lot of pet food, and treats, I have to be really careful when I buy treats to make sure that it doesn't have red 40, it makes him itch and actually gives him welts. Shih tzus are known for having sensitive skin and some allergies. I also bathe him with an oatmeal based shampoo which helps a lot.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:13 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Could be fleas. Here in my neck of the woods, Florida, the only thing that works for me is Confortis.
It also could be that the dog may not be infested with fleas but has a flea ALLERGY (flea bite sensitivity). If that's the case, all it takes is for the dog to be bitten once by a flea to trigger some pervasive itching. Flea control (on the pet, and in the indoor and outdoor environment) is important. Also, if there are other pets in the house (including cats who go outside), they need to be on flea control also.

(My parents are dealing with flea bite sensitivity with their new Lab puppy.)

Regarding food, grain-free is good, but also keep in mind that many dogs can't do chicken, as Mrs1885 mentioned. A good way to guess about this is to look in the ears. If there's a fair bit of black discharge, that's often an indication that the primarily food protein is not agreeing with the dog. I'd suggest lamb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs