Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 733 times

Advertisements

I rescued a sweet 2 mo old F Rottweiler from a poor living situation. I noticed she was lethargic, underweight and had diarrhea, so I took her immediately to the vet. Vet tested her for Parvo and it was negative, I was told her blood sugar was a little low. She was malnourished, dehydrated, and had to have IV fluids. They did a send out blood work for Parvo and am still awaiting the results. I have started her on good food, and she drinks a lot of water and is now much more playful and looks like she feels better. However, after she eats her tummy gets bloated and feels very hot. We have bee feeding her every 4 hours small amounts.

My vet did check lab work, treated her for worms which she likely had, and she now is gaining weight and getting healthier. Just not sure why she still has some diarrhea. Curious what other conditions can cause this, and are there tests so we can know or rule out other conditions. I also have noticed her breath, and urine smell very foul. I thought initially it was her poor diet she received before I got her, but now we have her on VERY good food and its not getting any better.
Does anyone have any suggestions what could be going on with my pup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 06:12 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,280,585 times
What brand are you feeding your puppy? Is it puppy food? Canned? Dry? How much per feeding?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,605,169 times
Check for parvo

Old 10-14-2017, 06:42 PM

837 posts, read 1,714,037 times
Default Some dogs have food allergies

I have to be very careful with my 6 month old puppy. Just a bite or two of human food (cheese, ham) or changing to a new food makes his stools loose. It seem that giving him the same very expensive, grain free with raw bits food twice a day with no treats or canned foods is the only way to deal with his intestinal sensitivities. Apparently, it's not unusual for some breeds to have all kinds of food allergies--even the ones like mine who would probably eat a bowl of rocks if allowed. I don't know if this is common with rottweilers.

A couple of months ago, I was giving a small spoon of yoghurt and a bit of canned pumpkin daily--often recommended for dogs. He seemed fine, but started smelling very acidic so that was stopped.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:48 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,923,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
What brand are you feeding your puppy? Is it puppy food? Canned? Dry? How much per feeding?
^^^This. You may think you're feeding quality food but you might not be --- read the ingredients --- if there is any grain at all listed, change to something else.

My brother got a pup last year and had your issues. He took a page out of his older sister's animal book and switched the pup from something Purina makes to a brand that does not have any grain in it. He told me the runny bums stopped almost immediately.

I can't remember what brand he successfully switched to. I feed Taste of the Wild to my dogs and my cats.

And I am jealous, lollol. Rottweiler's own my soul but I lost three, from totally separate blood lines, to some form of cancer. I said I couldn't stand that one more time, now I have two Catahoula rescues.

Wishing you the very best with your Spoiled Rottenweiler

Old 10-14-2017, 06:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna1982 View Post
My vet did check lab work, treated her for worms which she likely had, and she now is gaining weight and getting healthier. Just not sure why she still has some diarrhea. Curious what other conditions can cause this, and are there tests so we can know or rule out other conditions. I also have noticed her breath, and urine smell very foul. I thought initially it was her poor diet she received before I got her, but now we have her on VERY good food and its not getting any better.
Does anyone have any suggestions what could be going on with my pup?
Your vet did a full blood panel? Were the results normal?
Did you speak with your vet about these concerns?

If my puppy were showing the symptoms you describe I would put puppy on either a dehydrated or frozen raw diet or alternately, a whole food diet such as Honest Kitchen. Whatever the reason, puppy's digestive system is out of whack; in my experience, in such cases a minimally processed diet (either raw or Honest Kitchen) will be easier for the puppy's compromised digestive system to digest than kibble. Less stress on the digestive system will also result in less stress on the liver and pancreas which affect how the body processes toxins.

Supplement with probiotics and a high quality yogurt, both of which will help the good bioflora repopulate the digestive tract. A 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin with meals will help regulate the diarrhea.

It will take time for the puppy to get healthy, but you should start to see a change in how the breath and urine smell in about 4-6 weeks.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
You’ve been given really good advice overall.

Is it actual diarrhea or just soft stool?

If it is the former the only thing I would add is I would temporarily put the puppy on a very bland diet, boiled chicken and rice, until the diarrhea subsided. It is likely that the puppies gut flora is out of whack from the poor diet and worms and will just take some time to come back, but a bland diet will help.

Old 10-14-2017, 08:31 PM

981 posts, read 902,054 times
i second the boiled chicken and rice. pumpkin mixed in can help too. also ive always had a greyhound in our pack and they have very sensitive stomachs and will get diarrhea in some even high quality foods. ive had the best luck with the natural balance sweet potato and venison. and thank you so much for saving this pup!

Old 10-14-2017, 08:33 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,667,756 times
White rice and boiled organic chicken.

Access to lots of filtered water.

Rescue Remedy for pets (Amazon).

Lots of love.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,561,270 times
I rescued a puppy when I lived in Mexico, and not only did she have worms, but she had mange. The vet wasn't sure she'd make it, but he gave her some shots of strong antibiotics and gave me meds to give her at home and she made a complete recovery.

She smelled like a dead carcass. She had a patch on her belly that kind of looked infected - but you really had to look. It wasn't apparent that's what she had.

By the way, if you're ever in Mexico - I was really impressed with the vets there. And the cost of treatment was a fraction of what you'd pay in the states. The country had eradicated rabies, pretty much, with a government program long before I went there around 1999. Point being, don't be afraid to take your dog to a vet in Mexico.

And, if you aren't happy with the vet you have or think he/she isn't being thorough enough, then find another one.

I also agree that you really need to pay attention to everything you are feeding your puppy. No treats. Just stick to whatever diet is recommended. That way, whenever you make any changes, it will be easy to see what's causing what.

Good on you for rescuing this puppy. Mine made a full recovery. Hope yours does, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs