Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,388,774 times

Advertisements

The phone rang a few minutes ago and I saw that it was my vet's office. At first I thought that they might be doing a follow up call to see how my kids were doing since they'd both been in last Thursday since they had lower GI issues which did not clear up after a couple of days of bland diet with pumpkin. Then I realized that they were not calling on the alternate number they use for outgoing calls but the main number. So I picked it up and said "Hi, you got an old black lab for me?" Debbie answered Yup!

He's 8 years old, looks to be a lab/gray hound mix. He was adopted out as a pup and now the owners have returned him to the humane society, per the contract, since they can't or don't want to keep him any longer.

I'm still in my jammies so I told Deb that I'd come in and meet him in a couple of hours. Last night I spent a couple of hours looking through listing on Adopt-A-Pet since I've been feeling ready to bring the pack back up to three dogs. I did see one in particular that I was interested in and spent considerable time filling out their on line application but did nto submit it because I was not sure if they adopt this far away from their primary location in MD. I had just sat down to send them an email to ask about that question when the phone rang.

Back in Dec 1992 I was trying to wrap up a few last details at work before I left on 10 days of vacation when the phone rang and when the person said "Hi, zugor". I didn't give Merrill a chance to say another word before I said "You have a puppy for me." Merrill was not a dog rescuer, she had been my therapist several years earlier but had left the Bay Area and we had not spoken in ages. There was dead silence for several long moments and then she said "Oh my god! How did you know?" I was as surprised as she was as I heard the words come out of my mouth. If I hadn't been running a bit late she would not have gotten hold of me and she did not have my home number. I doubt that anyone would have taken a message and called me at home.

A few days later she came up to the Bay Area and brought me one of the 6 pups who had been dumped on her back country road along with the mom. He proved to be my heart dog extraordinaire and even though it has been over 8 years since I lost him I still miss him so much. It is to honor him that I now adopt senior black labs. There have been 7 so far and I think this guy, Boca is his name, is very likely to become number 8.

I'll report back later.

(Reminder to self - take a collar and leash).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,354,759 times
Zugor,

Good luck with the meeting, I hope all goes well and your new friend will be sharing your loving home.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM

857 posts, read 2,220,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The phone rang a few minutes ago and I saw that it was my vet's office. At first I thought that they might be doing a follow up call to see how my kids were doing since they'd both been in last Thursday since they had lower GI issues which did not clear up after a couple of days of bland diet with pumpkin. Then I realized that they were not calling on the alternate number they use for outgoing calls but the main number. So I picked it up and said "Hi, you got an old black lab for me?" Debbie answered Yup!

He's 8 years old, looks to be a lab/gray hound mix. He was adopted out as a pup and now the owners have returned him to the humane society, per the contract, since they can't or don't want to keep him any longer.

I'm still in my jammies so I told Deb that I'd come in and meet him in a couple of hours. Last night I spent a couple of hours looking through listing on Adopt-A-Pet since I've been feeling ready to bring the pack back up to three dogs. I did see one in particular that I was interested in and spent considerable time filling out their on line application but did nto submit it because I was not sure if they adopt this far away from their primary location in MD. I had just sat down to send them an email to ask about that question when the phone rang.

Back in Dec 1992 I was trying to wrap up a few last details at work before I left on 10 days of vacation when the phone rang and when the person said "Hi, zugor". I didn't give Merrill a chance to say another word before I said "You have a puppy for me." Merrill was not a dog rescuer, she had been my therapist several years earlier but had left the Bay Area and we had not spoken in ages. There was dead silence for several long moments and then she said "Oh my god! How did you know?" I was as surprised as she was as I heard the words come out of my mouth. If I hadn't been running a bit late she would not have gotten hold of me and she did not have my home number. I doubt that anyone would have taken a message and called me at home.

A few days later she came up to the Bay Area and brought me one of the 6 pups who had been dumped on her back country road along with the mom. He proved to be my heart dog extraordinaire and even though it has been over 8 years since I lost him I still miss him so much. It is to honor him that I now adopt senior black labs. There have been 7 so far and I think this guy, Boca is his name, is very likely to become number 8.

I'll report back later.

Good Luck and thanks for adopting an oldster.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM

30,643 posts, read 16,308,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

I'll report back later.

and camera! don't forget the camera.

I'm glad you adopt old big black dogs. They're on the bottom of everyone's adoption list.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 PM

917 posts, read 1,387,527 times
I got my current dog daughter because she was a black female (chihuahua) and her former owner didnt think anyone would want her. Well I did! She's the greatest dog ever!!!! Good luck with your new family member! keep us posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs