Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times

Advertisements

Lady-Bug has Strange eye color! The TOP part of her Iris is Yellow [lite brown/gold] The BOTTOM is Lite Blue/gray!!! The Only thing I can find about eye color is for show they are supose to be DARK
Her Body is 90% white with Redish-brown. Again I cant find a thing about body colors Except they have to have color over both ears! Nothing as to weather there are Blues or other colors in the Pap Breed..... Any clues? I like to breed her so this IS important to me to know! You can see her Parents pedigree in my Albums!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Typically when the eye is two colors, it's called a parti-eye. Here are a couple links to what it may look like: http://www.kianasiberians.com/colors/partieyed.jpg
http://siberianhuskypuppiesblog.com/...husky_eyes.jpg

It's common in certain breeds -- like the Siberian Husky -- but less common in others. I don't think it's common in Papillons. The vision in the affected eye is usually fine. It's just a genetic anomoly called heterochromia. (The gene component would explain why it's common in some breeds and not in others, as breeds derive from a very small gene pool.)

My dog is a Sibe, and his left eye is a parti-eye.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Yes I know that from raising my Shelties & Collies! What I need to know is about in Paps as I Plan to breed her Once! I Need to Know what to look for in the Male to Prevent or cut down on their eye color IF its Not exceptable in the breed! Eye color has Nothing to do with Blindness problems for that I need to have her eyes tested by a doggie eye dr. Which will be done as I get closer to breeding her. While I be Breeding her & adv the pups as PETS I dont want to produce Poor Qulity! Breed so I can Keep one or 2 for myself. & 1 would be going to the person with the male for stud fee.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
According to the AKC and Papillon breed standard they eyes MUST be dark and also:

The following faults shall be severely penalized - Color other than white not covering both ears, back and front, or not extending from the ears over both eyes. A slight extension of the white collar onto the base of the ears, or a few white hairs interspersed among the color, shall not be penalized, provided the butterfly appearance is not sacrificed. Disqualifications - An all white dog or a dog with no white.

So according to the AKC breed standards and your statement, your dog, if it's the one the shown in your photos with the mostly white face DOES NOT meet the breed standards and I doubt a reputable breeder with a quality stud dog would allow him to breed to your dog.

So if you are truly looking to improve the breed, I would enjoy your dog as a pet and search for another if you are set on breeding.

If you still question it, have your dog evaluated by someone from the local breed club, who is going to be way more knowledgeable that someone on this board.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Not breeding for Confirmation Showing! Breeding for BRAINS! Lady-bug is a Service Dog in training... She doing great for her age [8 months] So I know she has the Brains to pass on LOL She not Undersize as so Many are now breeding..10 1/2 inches...to soon to see IF she will go Over the 11 inch standard LOL Well developed & filling out Nicely! I have already been aproched by 2 people with males but they to have no Breeding experance they looking for a pup by their male they can keep for pets. Pedigrees look great! BTW there are NO Breeders in my area! Or this would be much easier to do LOL

Old 11-10-2011, 11:22 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
there are 614 paps or pap x's on petfinder right now..... why bring more into the world when so many are already here and looking for homes??

i know that that is not as many as say, chihuahuas or poodles or any number of ittie bitties.... but still.... it is 614 too many.....

Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not breeding for Confirmation Showing! Breeding for BRAINS! Lady-bug is a Service Dog in training... She doing great for her age [8 months] So I know she has the Brains to pass on LOL She not Undersize as so Many are now breeding..10 1/2 inches...to soon to see IF she will go Over the 11 inch standard LOL Well developed & filling out Nicely! I have already been aproched by 2 people with males but they to have no Breeding experance they looking for a pup by their male they can keep for pets. Pedigrees look great! BTW there are NO Breeders in my area! Or this would be much easier to do LOL
I'd then suggest you contact the National Club here;Welcome to the Papillon Club of America, they even have a whole section on genetics here; Welcome to Papillon Club of America Inc ~ Health and Genetics website and they are the ones who define breed standards for the AKC. I do hope you understand that confirmation is also about structure that inevatabley includes breeding healthy dogs because form follows function and that's the reason for Confirmation shows. Paps are well known for smarts and in fact are consistantly ranked in the top 10 for it so just because your dog is smart doesn't make her unique to the breed.

I'm not trying to be ugly here but you've asked about breeding your dog and from my stand point as a buyer and pet owner of a pure bred dog, I believe breeding should be the best to the best and that includes confirmation and companion events and to better the dog breed.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
there are 614 paps or pap x's on petfinder right now..... why bring more into the world when so many are already here and looking for homes??

i know that that is not as many as say, chihuahuas or poodles or any number of ittie bitties.... but still.... it is 614 too many.....
I agree Breeders Should Take Responsibility for the animals they bring into the world but sad to say they dont! I was approved by several Pap Rescues but ALL posted dogs were to OLD! & one I did decide to try they decided cause I cooked for my dogs instead of feeding Junk Dog Food to them NOT to let me have her! This was 2 hours Before we were to leave home to meet them in Richmond VA!!! IF I hadnt took a few mins to check my email I been there wondering what happened! They Could have Called me!!

At certain ages & places in training the Service Dog Must meet certain Tests! I picked the Pap because of its learning abilites & Long life! Katie my corgi is 6 1/2 yrs old & already slowing down! 8-10 yrs is adv for her breed. 14-18 for a pap! Takes 2-3 yrs just to train Service Dog! Buying a Trained older dog is Not possible cause only Large dogs are pro trained. I live in apts now do to my disibilities. Apts have Size & Breed Limits also. I have homes lined up for 10 pups LOL All to be Spay/Nutered Not Sold! These are people that purchased shelties from me when I bred back ing the 1980s-late 90s ALL dogs lived til they were in their teens. So I Know they will get great homes! So Please Dont be conserned about whats going to happen to the pups when & IF I breed Lady-Bug!

Returning West...thanks for the links BUT they only talk about PRA Not eye colors LOL

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Breed standards are ONLY a guideline! It up to judges to decide how close the dogs presented to them in the ring that day Fit the Standard! I SEEN blue-eyed collies & shelties become Champions! & in those breeds blue-eyes are Only allowed in Blue Merles! But when a Tri thats Perfect goes against Cow-hocked roach backed & bad bites then Blue-eyed tri gets the days points! I also seen under & oversized ch do to the same things. Judges can Only judge whats in Front of them that day ... So they pick the best they can even if its Not a perfect standard. On the Other hand they Cant tell in the Ring IF a dog is Blind/Deaf Has bad Hip etc THAT up to the breeder to test for & to be 100% truthful with the people buying from them!

Basicly I just want to know IF the eye color is something Normal for Lady-Bugs Breed! Has anyone even Seen a Blue or Yellow eyed Pap? Personally I like her eyes! But are they Rare?!?!

Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 PM

350 posts, read 477,478 times
Quote:
Has anyone even Seen a Blue or Yellow eyed Pap?
No. I've been to a LOT of dog shows (used to steward, often in the toy ring since I showed in the herding ring). I also worked for the AKC as kennel inspector, never noticed a light-eyed papillon in my travels.

Quote:
Personally I like her eyes! But are they Rare?!?!
Rare normally equates to undesirable in dogs.

I don't know why you seem fixated on the eye color, you already know what you want to do. If you have your dog CERFed by a qualified veterinarian, then any hereditary factors are inconsequential, since you aren't interested in the breed standard. If, in fact, all puppies will be placed in pet homes with spay/neuter contracts, then passing this tract on is a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs