Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times

Advertisements

I had not heard of it before this article:

Canine Flu Outbreak Plagues Metro Area | NBC New York

Quote:
The Journal News reports that officials at the Cornell University Veterinary School say canine flu has been spreading in New York City, the lower Hudson Valley and northern New Jersey.

Canine flu is not fatal but is highly contagious. Symptoms include cough, runny nose and fever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
i know that our former vet's office has been encouraging canine flu shots for a couple or 3 years or more .......

Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,811 times
When I vaccinate I use a vaccine for canine influenza

Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i know that our former vet's office has been encouraging canine flu shots for a couple or 3 years or more .......
Is this recommended now for boarding, like with Bordatella vaccination?

Boarding has not been a concern of mine for the past couple of years but I may need to board my pup(1yr 5 mo.) this Winter or early Spring.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,530,811 times
Vaccinate with 7 way and rabies and kennel cough and you should be ok

Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times
I just read about the flu outbreak in the NY area. They're warning the rescues up there about it.

The 7 in one vaccine has the lepto in it. DON'T use it unless there's a lepto outbreak in your area and you've got a dog that will be in areas of standing water, like a hunting dog. Lepto vaccine has one of the highest rates of adverse reactions in dogs. I've NEVER used the lepto for my dogs or the rescue dogs.

If you're not sure if there's a current outbreak in your area, call your vet.

[quote]Many vets are embarking on crash courses in the canine influenza virus (CIV) and studying up on the effectiveness of the first vaccine, conditionally licensed in May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Developer Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health says it significantly reduces the duration and severity of symptoms and dramatically curbs the flu's spread. Cost: about $20 for each of the series of two shots, given two to four weeks apart.[/QUOTE

Also says most dogs won't need the vaccine in the first place.

Quote:
Bottom line, Crawford says: Unless your dog is regularly in close contact with other dogs, especially if you live in what she calls a "hot zone" where there's an outbreak or where there have been multiple past outbreaks — the vaccination probably isn't necessary. Dogs with weakened health or those traveling to hot zones are special cases that require discussion with a veterinarian.
Quote:
The American Veterinary Medical Association is not recommending vaccinating all dogs. But dogs that receive the Bordetella vaccine, the association says, should be considered strong candidates for flu vaccination because they've been determined to be at risk for the much-less-serious kennel cough through regular contact with many dogs, and that puts them at higher risk for CIV.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...nine-flu_N.htm

Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
Quote:
Vaccinate with 7 way and rabies and kennel cough and you should be ok
no no no and NOOOOOO...
please listen to mrs1885.

first of all vaccinosis from over vaccinating is MUCH more of a threat than CIV
secondly the 7 way shot doesnt protect any more than the 5 way against CIV...lepto is 100% unnessicary and completly AVOIDED in toy breeds and breeds known to be vaccine sensitive (danes and most mastif breeds ect) due to a HIGH rate of SERIOUS (and deadly) reactions to the vaccine, lepto has NOTHING to do with CIV...
bordatella is also 100% USELESS< the vaccines life span is only 3-6 months and only protects against 3 of the i blieve 8 forms of "kennel cough" virus...
and adding rabies in there at the same time...
oh my goodness, talk about overload.

5 way is max...and NEVER give rabies the same day as giving any other vaccines.

dogs at risk from CIV are dogs who are regularly in a dog socilal situation AND already compromised...
just like most flus, those at greatest risk are puppies, the elderly and those wiht compromised immune systems.

loading your dog with a 7way + bordatella + rabies is a good way to put your dog in the high risk zone, body is so busy fighting off everything else it cant fight off a simple flu.
symptoms of the flu are mild and generally considered VERY low risk in healthy dogs.

as mrs1885 also quoted dogs who get the bordatella vac are MORE likely to get CIV!...

dog flu has been around forever, theres been a higher than usual number of cases in a few select area, problebly because the weather has been so weird...id also put money that the dogs in the "hot zones' either attent a dog park or doggy day care together...
panicing about it is just going to cause more problems.

if your in a high risk area, avoid the dog park and dont go to doggy daycare/meet ups...
if you have a dog with a compromised immune system and cant avoid places with high doggy volume, then id consider the CIV vaccine...
otherwise use common sense...

PLEASE do your reserch before running off or yet more vaccines...
look up vaccinossis and vacine reactions...
they can be DEADLY...
most vaccine side efects are WORSE than the illness itself!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 PM

Hey Foxy, did you see the new report that came out recommending vaccinating every three to seven years, depending on the vaccine?? I printed the report and it goes out to my adopters. I love that they're finally recognizing that animals are vaccinated way too often.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Can't find the original article I read and printed and my files are in another room, but here is the AAHA new guidelines:

Quote:
How often should my dog be vaccinated really?

It is essential that your dog has the complete initial series of puppy core vaccines, as well as booster shots at one year of age. The young dog is at high risk of contracting infectious disease and so every step should be taken to prevent illness. Following the one-year boosters, the AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines recommend that the distemper, adenovirus and parvovirus core vaccines be administered once every three years. Your state and local municipality govern how often rabies boosters are administered and so please contact them or your local veterinarian to get more information (some areas require an annual rabies booster whereas others only require a three-year-effective rabies booster every three years ).

Noncore vaccinations should be administered whenever the risk of the disease is significant enough to override any risk of vaccination. For example, a kennel cough vaccine may need to be given every six months to a dog that is repeatedly kenneled or exposed to groups of dogs at grooming salons or dog shows.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,876,207 times
woot i hadnt seen aaha's new recomendations, bout time they caught up lol.

if you find it can you send me a link, would love to send it home with any future pups, right now i send my babies home with jean dodds protocal but the new aaha guidlines to back it up too would be awesome!

still iwsh theyd ban kennel cough and lepto though...kennel cough primarily such a useless vaccine lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs