Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM

17,714 posts, read 16,862,630 times

Advertisements

We have a fenced in back yard but our dogs really want to be with us - whether we're inside or out. And they love their walks around the neighborhood.

Having a yard is a nice convenience but it is not an absolute necessity. We've never had a fenced in yard at our vacation rentals (yes, dogs come on vacays too!) and we do fine without one.

Most older puppies and dogs could adapt easily to being home alone from 8am-2pm. I don't think those hours are too long at all. A crate might be a good idea, though - especially at first

I think it's great that you're sorting all of this out now, btw. I think you'll be a great doggie parent!

(a lab has a fair amount of energy - so you can plan on long daily walks/trips to dog parks/playing ball, etc.)

Last edited by springfieldva; 11-17-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,862,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Many people don't have yards. Many people who HAVE yards don't have it fenced, so it's useless -- you can't just let your dog out in an unfenced yard.

If you've got two legs and are committed to walking your Lab a number of times per day, then you're good to go! And the bonding that comes with walking is immeasurable.

And, by the way, 8 - 2PM is great. Many people leave their dogs home alone until at least 5PM.

Go get yourself a Lab!
This. We HAVE a yard (bought our house in part because of its fenced yard, so we could finally get a dog). Turns out, our dog can jump the fence quite handily when motivated to do so. So, we might as well not have a yard, because he can't be out in it without being staked. Not trustworthy.

He gets plenty of exercise on loooooooooong leashed walks, though, and runs freely at the dog park, which has a much higher fence.

The main thing is that we can't just let him out to eliminate...peeing/pooping entails a walk. Which is fine, because then I don't have poop in my yard to go pick up later.

For myself, I would never give my dog access to the back yard when we are not home, both because of the escape artist tendencies he has, and because, as a beagle mix, he will bark annoyingly at every squirrel, rabbit, person walking, person on a bike, person on a motorcycle he sees or senses, and the neighbors will be driven nuts. He stays inside when we are at work.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,636,227 times
I own a condo so only have a small fenced patio which I do have a dog door that goes out to it and I have 3 dogs and because I am committed to them getting exercise everyday walks and or the dog park it has worked out great. My two previous dogs were were very high energy herding breeds and they too did fine . To me what is important for a dog is the time an owner is willing to spend with them and remember it is not just for a few weeks but for a life time so 10-14+ years in most cases. I know many happy well adjusted dogs that do not have yards where they live.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,644,303 times
Talking Please re-consider...

Actually, leaving the dog in the yard unsupervised is not a wise decision. Some dogs are expert escape artists. I know, I adopted one. He's a three time convicted escape artists and I supervise his yard time.

You can leave your dog crated / kenneled in the house unless he/she can be trusted not to be distructive, then they can have freedom if you so choose. However, I would not leave my dogs in the yard for two reasons.

One, mine happen to be Am Bulldogs, often mistaken for pit bulls. This can lead to theft. Second, they have a high prey drive, vermin (squirrels, rabbits, etc.,) don't stand a chance and they will go after it, fence...what fence? They will find a way. As I said, one of my adoptee's is an expert at getting out. I am not giving him an opportunity.

So...even if you don't have a yard...you can have a lab...as long as you are willing to walk it, take it to the park and on weekends make it a part of your life, hikes, walks, vacation, swims...whatever!

My point is although I have a yard, I don't leave them out there. Besides, they are inside dogs and dogs love their humans! Very few breeds prefer to be outside. Huskies (when it's cold, lol) and flock guarding breeds to name a couple.

Please re-consider.

Thank you for thinking about rescuing...you'll be saving a life!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,518,889 times
I think it would be okay. I grew up in an apartment complex and many people had large dogs.

I hope to adopt a lab too in the future. They are beautiful dogs. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,636,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
My point is although I have a yard, I don't leave them out there. Besides, they are inside dogs and dogs love their humans! Very few breeds prefer to be outside. Huskies (when it's cold, lol) and flock guarding breeds to name a couple.

This brought a chuckle to me as Cooper the Great Pyrenees I posted a photo of a few weeks ago is one of the flock guarding breeds but he HATES to be left outside. When my friends daughter left him outside when she went to class day one, he found a very small window that was a few feet up but was open and squeezed through it so when her boyfriend got home he was inside. He asked Michelle why she left him inside and she said she didn't but being he found him inside he thought she only thought she put him out, but she knew she had . They put him back outside and went inside and a few minutes later he was back inside via that very small window! Now he gets it his way and stays in the house when they are not home.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:20 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,644,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
This brought a chuckle to me as Cooper the Great Pyrenees I posted a photo of a few weeks ago is one of the flock guarding breeds but he HATES to be left outside. When my friends daughter left him outside when she went to class day one, he found a very small window that was a few feet up but was open and squeezed through it so when her boyfriend got home he was inside. He asked Michelle why she left him inside and she said she didn't but being he found him inside he thought she only thought she put him out, but she knew she had . They put him back outside and went inside and a few minutes later he was back inside via that very small window! Now he gets it his way and stays in the house when they are not home.
It's because Cooper had nothing to guard (but the house and his humans, lol)!!!

He wanted to be inside with his humans and who could blame him!?!? (He's a beauty, too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs