Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,175,291 times

Advertisements

Calico & siamese cats win as troublemakers but give lots of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM

72 posts, read 411,029 times
We've just started the crate training as well, we have been given a lot of great advice on dog forum. com, thanks to some real good advice it's going very good for us.
Put the puppy in the crate many times during the day, make sure to leave him/her there till they are calm and not crying, for longer and longer periods of time. Don't forget the special treat reward for being in the crate.
Good luck

Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,961 times
I agree with many of the post. I have 2 Pomeranians and the older one had a hard time with crate training. The first night was hard, but I ignored him and only let him out every few hours at night to relieve himself. In a couple of days he did get the hint. I truly felt like a new mom when I adopted him. I also left clothes in the crate and that helped. I didn't know about the ticking clock trick, but what I did was leave a small radio by his crate with soft music playing. I used jazz music or classical and it helped alot so he wouldn't be to frightned with the darkness and silence.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM

54 posts, read 218,579 times
i actually just finished training my puppy. she pitched a HUGE fit the first night in the crate and then was whining off and on. What we did was put the crate next to the bed and when she whinned, we would put our hand down next to her to let her know we were still there and everything was OK. that really seemed to get her to calm down. Now, we play music for her when we go to work and she goes into the crate. we play Enya. It soothes her and calms her nerves. She hasnt had any problems since. good luck!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,013 times
put a teddy bear in with her - we did this with our Boxer when we got her and she is now 10 and still sleeps with it at night but now not in a crate but a fancy cushion.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM

788 posts, read 2,112,201 times
the puppy will eventually stop and love the crate - we have a year old beagle pup who loves the crate and goes right in at night - stick to your guns!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,465 times
put a clock in there and put the crate next to your bed.
When the puppy whines, touch your hand to the crate so crate so he knows you are there(he's use to sleeping buddies) for about a week. Slowly over the next month move the crate a foot or so out of the room until eventually he is located where you want him. When you touch your hand to the crate, you can touch him BUt do not talk!!!!

Also, during the day put him/her in a crate for 5-10 minutes randomly w/ a treat. Then let him out when he's quiet(even for a sec.)and play like he's awesome. Then the next day put him in the crate w/ a treat and move further away and do the same thing. You are then teaching puppy that the crate IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

ours sleeps in his crate on his own at night, but now he's welcome n the bed if he wants.
When we got him he had some crate problems and this worked awesome. I work from home, but he was locked in a crate for an hour and a half during the day, just to get use to the crate.

play a good game before bedtime, so puppy is less active. play hide n seek(which teaches puppy to follow and find you) ....monkey in the middle(teaches puppy to follow toys and come to you) ....soccer, tug(good bonding game....I dont' care what they say!!!!), etc.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:50 PM

265 posts, read 1,293,002 times
Default Good for you...a puppy!!

Sleonar1, congrats on the new addition to your family. Just like introducing a baby to your home, a puppy can be a bit disruptive to your household...oh, but the joy you'll get back is 100-fold!

First, I'd say don't move his crate out of your room--the little guy is seeking his packmates and crying is a way to let them know where he is. If you're gentle and patient, he'll stop. I know that's a tall task when sleep deprivation hits, but it should pass quickly (not more than a couple of nights). As someone suggested, try to tucker him out before bed. Most important is consistency on your part, and positive reinforcement. (For example, during the day, you may want to hide treats in his crate, let him explore and find, and learn that the crate is a fun place to be.) There are some fabulous books out there, my favorite is the Brian Kilcommons one, "Good Dog, Great Owner" as it's full of anecdotes and instruction for positive training--applicable to shaping all sorts of behavior.

Congrats again, and best wishes!

P.S. What sort of puppy and what's his name?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:54 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
I had this problem. Here's whats I did. Download and burn to cd the sounds of a large barking and growling dog. Burn it to cd. Put a cd player, next to the crate. It would be best to have a remote controlled cd player.
Keep the cd paused. When the puppy starts whining hit play. The puppy should act submissive and quiet down....Don't crank the volume....you don't want to scare your puppy into having an accident. This worked for us...good luck.
that's kinda mean!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,278,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
that's kinda mean!
I've never heard of that either - I'm afraid that would scare a small puppy...s/he may be used to mom barking and telling 'em to knock it off, but that would be a strange dog.

I'm with all the other posters - walk that puppy before bedtime (a tired dog is a good dog!), play a little music, put the t-shirt in. You might also give him a small Kong for puppies with a little peanut butter or a treat inside....it will keep the pup busy enough that hopefully it will go to Puppyland for the night...whatever they find comforting, do it, and DO work with him like Kelly suggested - and kudos to you for crate training! So many people don't understand it - and it's the GREATEST thing in the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs