Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I have read/heard the same thing about ginger but
do know people that swear by comfort zone.

the only thing I have found that works instantly for our dogs
is to let them put their nose out the window.

I suffer from motion sickness myself and looking at the horizon
is what helps me.

you have many new ways to tackle it, good luck.
Just one caveat on the above. It's risky allowing a dog to stick their head out the window as something could blow into the eyes causing injury. Now, having the window barely cracked so the dog could just put it's nose up to the crack would probably be ok if it helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:51 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
Just one caveat on the above. It's risky allowing a dog to stick their head out the window as something could blow into the eyes causing injury. Now, having the window barely cracked so the dog could just put it's nose up to the crack would probably be ok if it helped.

I do
indeed crack it just enough for that big nose to stick out but if
the choice is between vomiting and chancing
something in the eye , I will take my bets.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 PM

34 posts, read 63,911 times
Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the responses and I will definitely be trying the different options. I was thinking this weekend when I take her to the dog park I will try the crate in the back of my SUV and line it with newspaper and see what happens.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
from my point of view [ motion sick human] the back of a car/suv
is the last place to be while driving.

the only place I can feel good is the front , at the least
in back by window so I can look out.
please set your dog up for success by only doing a short drive the first time.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
my method for curing motion sickness in dogs is simply a booster seat. for a dog your size a large kids booster seat should get her up so she can easily see FORWARD
put it in the midde of the back seat and make sure shes clipped in via a wide chested or car aproved harness. seeing out forward helps ALOT (in people and dogs, youll find motion sick people do better when they ride up front...its something about the equilibrium and the visuals when seeing the world pass by through a side window as opposed ot being able to see where your going.

dogs in the front seat however is a BAD idea unless you can turn the airbag off...even if the dog is secure a deploying airbag can (and has) killd dogs. my dogs have a car seat in the front seat they get harnessed and clipped in and the airbag is disconected.

keep trips short at first and positive.
id also suggest a HERBAL product called rescue remedy (by Bachs) which ive found also works great for a number of things (its a natural calmant ive found it helps with stress of all kinds and motionsickness and general icky feeling lol)

boosters are excelent for this issue though.
if you want to do the "head out the window" method, it actually does work...but please make sure shes strapped in securely (ive seen dogs squeeze out of tiny amounts of space and ive seen dogs get thrown from cars) and invest in some Doggles...
sure they look silly, but road debirs to the eye is blinding (you ever had a tiny pebbel smack your windscreen when driving?! imagine if that was an eyeball) doggles are an excelent roduct that DO work. i have alot of doggy biker frineds who use doggles for their dogs when doing motorcycle trips and many a car tripper who use them with thier dogs. there also popular with people who take their dogs skydiving and such (not something i personally woudl do but as a product they realy do work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs