Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,492,870 times

Advertisements

VPI and Pets Best offer accident and injury only plans. Pets Best also offers a cancer only plan. I guess that doesn't really help if you're looking to cover all catastrophic conditions, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 AM

16,331 posts, read 10,458,395 times
Thanks L210. Yeah I want to cover against as many possibilities as we can. Just wish there was a high deductible plan. Where's Obama when I need him?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:56 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,370,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks L210. Yeah I want to cover against as many possibilities as we can. Just wish there was a high deductible plan. Where's Obama when I need him?
Funny you say that. I refer to the dogs' insurance plans as "Opuppycare".

Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM

OK I have an update that I need to share. I have no idea if I am allowed to recommend an individual at this company, mods please edit if this is not allowed but PLEASE leave this information up.

I took Tina's recommendation and contacted VPI. Not only were their rates much lower than the other companies but they had EXACTLY what I was looking for, specifically a high deductible plan that was affordable. I just talked to Jerry (Ext 6237) and he enrolled me in a major medical plan with a $14,000 limit that has a $1,000 deductible for under $20/month. The $40 cost and bad reviews have kept me from enrolling in the past and fortunately I have not had a need for this coverage. But at $20/month I can now feel comfortable that I'll never be forced to put my baby down because we could not justify a $15,000 vet expense.

http://www.petinsurance.com/plans-and-coverage.aspx

Old 11-20-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
OK I have an update that I need to share. I have no idea if I am allowed to recommend an individual at this company, mods please edit if this is not allowed but PLEASE leave this information up.

I took Tina's recommendation and contacted VPI. Not only were their rates much lower than the other companies but they had EXACTLY what I was looking for, specifically a high deductible plan that was affordable. I just talked to Jerry (Ext 6237) and he enrolled me in a major medical plan with a $14,000 limit that has a $1,000 deductible for under $20/month. The $40 cost and bad reviews have kept me from enrolling in the past and fortunately I have not had a need for this coverage. But at $20/month I can now feel comfortable that I'll never be forced to put my baby down because we could not justify a $15,000 vet expense.

Yeah, I've never understood the bad reviews. Sometimes I wonder if they're legit. I had read them too, but a farmer friend of mine who has used VPI for her herding dogs changed my mind. She has had nothing but wonderful experiences with them for many years.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:22 PM

8,587 posts, read 11,013,062 times
Quote:

So, this coverage is only twenty bucks a month, and that is fine, but if you have good credit, you could have a credit card with a $15,000 limit, and use that if and when your pet needs medical treatment, and it wouldn't be costing you anything per month.
I really don't see the logic in pet insurance, especially when you have to pay up front for all the expenses.

Let's use this as an example.
First off, I think the majority of people in this country have decent credit, and for those that don't, well, this will be of no use to you.
Now, assuming you have enrolled in some sort of pet insurance program, the day has arrived when you need to use it for a major, medical event for your pet.

You go to the vet, the charges are $6000,00.
Obviously most don't have that kind of money just lying around, so what do you do?
Simple, you whip out your credit card.
A month later, the pet insurance company settles your claim, and you have your $6000.00 back in your hands, now you will use that to pay off the credit card you used initially.
So where are you ahead on this deal?
Nowhere, in fact you are at the short end of the stick because you have been paying a monthly premium all along.
This event has cost you money you did not need to spend.

If you had the credit card available already to pay the vet bill, why did you need to pay for pet insurance?
The average credit line for people with good crerdit would more than likely cover the cost of medical care for your pet, so why pay extra for pet insurance?
Doesn't make any sense too me.
The key to having, and using a credit card is quite simple.
Use it ONLY for medical expenses for your pet.
Any other cards you have are for all the other things,but the key is to set one card aside just for your pet.
That is your medical insurance, and it doesn't cost you one cent a month, only when you use it.
That way you save on a monthly payment for some insurance you may never need.

Bob.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM

Um....if I have a $6,000 vet bill with no insurance I will need to pay off that $6,000 that was put on my bright, new, shiny credit card. With the insurance I pay upfront on my card, but I am reimbursed for $5,000 of the total cost. So my total out of pocket is only $1,000 plus the premiums, not the entire $6,000. I need to explain this? Really?

And again if I knew the worst case was a $6,000 expense I probably would not buy the insurance. I am protecting myself should it be much more, such as my friend's situation where their bills ran over $12,000. Now I'm covered up to $14,000 less the deductible. To me $20/month is worth the peace of mind to know that I may never have to make a horrible horrible decision. It's one thing to put a dog down who is suffering, it's entirely different to kill them because you have determined they are too expensive. The guilt would be overwhelming.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
So, this coverage is only twenty bucks a month, and that is fine, but if you have good credit, you could have a credit card with a $15,000 limit, and use that if and when your pet needs medical treatment, and it wouldn't be costing you anything per month.
I really don't see the logic in pet insurance, especially when you have to pay up front for all the expenses.

Let's use this as an example.
First off, I think the majority of people in this country have decent credit, and for those that don't, well, this will be of no use to you.
Now, assuming you have enrolled in some sort of pet insurance program, the day has arrived when you need to use it for a major, medical event for your pet.

You go to the vet, the charges are $6000,00.
Obviously most don't have that kind of money just lying around, so what do you do?
Simple, you whip out your credit card.
A month later, the pet insurance company settles your claim, and you have your $6000.00 back in your hands, now you will use that to pay off the credit card you used initially.
So where are you ahead on this deal?
Nowhere, in fact you are at the short end of the stick because you have been paying a monthly premium all along.
This event has cost you money you did not need to spend.

If you had the credit card available already to pay the vet bill, why did you need to pay for pet insurance?
The average credit line for people with good crerdit would more than likely cover the cost of medical care for your pet, so why pay extra for pet insurance?
Doesn't make any sense too me.
The key to having, and using a credit card is quite simple.
Use it ONLY for medical expenses for your pet.
Any other cards you have are for all the other things,but the key is to set one card aside just for your pet.
That is your medical insurance, and it doesn't cost you one cent a month, only when you use it.
That way you save on a monthly payment for some insurance you may never need.

Bob.

I don't think you understand how insurance works. I'm scratching my head after reading that...twice.

We paid $280 for Karma's insurance two years ago. Annual fee.

A month after the policy was activated, she got into a chocolate cake, spent a day at the vet, and the bill was almost $400.

We have a $100 deductible on Karma's policy, Annual deductible, not a per-incident deductible.

$400 - 100 = $300 -- the amount of the check we got back from the insurance company. We were $20 ahead, having paid $280 for her policy.

Several months after that, she injured a leg muscle. Treatment and physical therapy amounted to about $600. VPI sent us a check for the entire $600.

And sure, we paid all these bills upfront, but so what? The insurance company PAID US BACK.

So -- we paid $280 for the policy and a $100 deductible, which equals $380 for one year.

We got checks from VPI totalling $900.

We saved $520 that year having insurance.

Insurance is always based on risks. You can pay premiums for 10 years and never have to put in a claim. Good for you, that means your dog never has an accident or gets very sick or needs an ER visit. But most of us do have dogs who need care at some point. Karma was only 10 months old when we put in her first claim. Things happen. You can get a line of credit and pay off vet bills over time out of your own pocket, or you can weigh the risks and buy insurance. We had the $15K for our other dog's care when she was in ICU for a week, but believe me, I would have preferred to pay it upfront and then get a reimbusement for most of it.

Last edited by TinaMcG; 11-20-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 04:28 AM

Apparently CALGUY is under the impression that you can take out a credit card and magically never have to pay back the charges. After reading his post several times as well that's all I can come up with.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Apparently CALGUY is under the impression that you can take out a credit card and magically never have to pay back the charges. After reading his post several times as well that's all I can come up with.
Oh good, glad it wasn't just me then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs