Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,710 times

Advertisements

We have a male german shepherd (Zeke) and we've had him a few years now and recently got a great dane pup (Romeo). Romeo is seven months old now and he and Zeke are starting to really fight with each other, biting, growling, etc. Our vet told us a couple months ago that this might start happening since they are both males and the only way to stop it is to get Romeo neutered. They used to get along when he was smaller but Zeke picks fights with Romeo sometimes too and he is neutered. So will neutering actually stop the fighting? And/or what else can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
why keep him intact? he should be neutered, it will help

Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
Neutering can help with hormones but it won't guarantee that they will stop fighting. It comes down to training and experience.

Also since you have a dane as well please wait until he is at least 12 months to have him done. If you can't help it then by all means get it done but the later the better for these guys. These dogs mature slowly and neutering too young may affect the bone growth, and interfere with proper closure of the growth plates.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM

[quote=WildnFree;22312498] It comes down to training and experience.
quote]

What kind of training? They are usually pretty well behaved in the house, its just when we let them out together to do their business that they fight. But we will discuss waiting with our vet, he told us the sooner the better but I don't want to mess with his growth.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
You've probably waited too long now. It should have been done long ago. Now you've not only got the hormone issue, but you've got two dogs that have issues. Get them neutered and go get a behaviorist ASAP. If you don't have experience with training this isn't something you'll be able to fix on your own now.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:19 PM

I don't know how I waited too long they were getting along fine that last four months. And Zeke, the shepherd is neutered. And I have taken Romeo to puppy training classes for sit, lay down, etc. but they didn't cover fighting.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 PM

399 posts, read 855,219 times
I have 2 pits and they are both males. One is neutered, one is not. The one who is neutered growls at the other. I have found throughout their 12 years of being together that discipline is the answer. By that I mean talking to them and telling them there is NO FIGHTING in this house. They seem to understand. They have had one, maybe two fights a few years ago but mainly over a toy or food. I give them equal attention. One will seem to be just a little closer to you than the other and maybe not by choice. But love them both and you be the boss. My dogs sleep side by side and wait for me to come home each day. Good Luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
What kind of training? They are usually pretty well behaved in the house, its just when we let them out together to do their business that they fight. But we will discuss waiting with our vet, he told us the sooner the better but I don't want to mess with his growth.
In honesty its up to you we can only give you advice and suggestions. Its about discipline and respect YOU have to be the boss. ( that is what I mean by training) The good news is that you can "fix" it ( no pun intended) Also don't worry your nowhere near being "too late"

Are they fighting or just growling at one another?

What do you do when they misbehave?

Unfortunately I noticed that people think neutering a dog will cure behavior issues.

In either case it sounds like your not experienced with these issues. I would also suggest a qualified trainer. Of course the first thought would be to neuter to "help" the situation, but ( I know I sound like a broken record but) discipline is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I have 2 pits and they are both males. One is neutered, one is not. The one who is neutered growls at the other. I have found throughout their 12 years of being together that discipline is the answer. By that I mean talking to them and telling them there is NO FIGHTING in this house. They seem to understand. They have had one, maybe two fights a few years ago but mainly over a toy or food. I give them equal attention. One will seem to be just a little closer to you than the other and maybe not by choice. But love them both and you be the boss. My dogs sleep side by side and wait for me to come home each day. Good Luck!
Could not have said it better myself.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:26 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,535,887 times
We have a gentle giant male that is neutered. BUT, the only time I have ever seen him be mean or aggressive is with un-neutered dogs. This has happened on several occasions each with an un-neutered male. We have a friend who isn't neutering her german shep till he is 6 months old and I told her her german shep couldn't come to play at our house until he was neutered due to our male. Un-neutered dogs have a different smell (hormones) and from what I understand neutered males will take them as a threat.

Yes IMO, I agree neuter your dane sooner than later.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 12-29-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 06:08 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
1: neutering can help but will NOT nessicarily FIX the situation
2: danes are HIGHLY prone to same sex dog agression...so neutering may NOT help with this.

first thing id do...
neuter the dane (you said the older boy is neutered already?)
it wont do him ANY harm to neuter him now a 7 months, he may not get as BULKY as a late neutered male...but the generla rule of thumb for waiting is simlpy so the dog fills out more...when neutered "early" (6mths and under) danes tend to grow TALL too qucik and remain "gangly teens" after 6 months the "risk" of getting tall lanky and staying that way is reduced. he will reach normal adult size and weight, he will just take longer...and may not get quite as WIDE in the chest as an unneutered adult male.
unless your showing him hwoever this is no big deal and given hes already starting with dominance issues, getting him neutered now is your best bet.
(ive been involved with danes most of my life, id never neuter before 6 months, but for a pet, after that its fine...)

now the neutering might not cure the problem...BUT it will reduce the hormones (can take a couple of months to realy take effect) and give the dane more focus.

i would also start a training regime.
1: you need to take charge. dogs will clammer for top spot when the human leadership is lacking...its an insecurity issue in most cases.
start using the Nothing in Life is Free (NILF) method with BOTH dogs. take back control of your home and the situation.
now since this sems to start when out and there generally well behaved in the house it sounds like over stimulation is deffinatly a contributing factor here...so potty time needs to be kept calm. there out there to potty and thats it, no running, no jumping no playing no pushing eachother ect. if you have to, put them on tie outs on opposite sides of the yard so they cant get to eachother or do potty breaks in shifts (one goes out, does what he needs, then back in and the other goes out)
or practice tethering the one whos instigating.
(hes on a leash attatched to you.)

indoors tethering and nilf training will help you kep control of the house.
and when you cant supervise...seperate, crate and rotate ect...

now unfortunatly wihtout seeing this "fighting" i cant tell you if its just rough puppy play and establishing dominance or if this is truly fighting...
growling biting nipping ect is all completly normal...
however it can progress into snarling grabbing and holding on shaking ect...

i WOULD invest in some additioanl training classes for the dane more for socilization and etablishing good respect for you than actually teaching him tricks ect)
you must rememebr that metally danes are puppies untill about 2 yars of age so establishing good manners now and keeping them up is incredibly important.
also remmeber the dane is a mastif, and was bred to work, to hunt and to kill, they can be dog agressive, dominaint and somewhat high energy.
they also dont realize how large they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs