Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,419,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
I could never cage my dogs. they would go bezerk and so would I.

they need a yard, not a cage..lol..
That is what I always said....then we got Rip.

He was just under two and had never been inside.

He was terrified!!!

I used a cage to let him see and hear things a little at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,410,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

He was terrified!!!

well, this is the way to utilize a crate , as a temporary training tool for puppies and adult dogs new to a house.

Talloolla , only one person has name called [ won't say whether I agree or not] no need to lump all posters together.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,482,693 times
Movedtothecoast, I did not intend to lump everyone together.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,765,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
This is not about you. It is about what is best for the dog. If the dog can stand and turn around, then curl up to sleep, the cage is OK. Dogs make their dens in smaller, confined spaces. Dogs use their cages as a refuge and place to "call" their own, unless their owner routinely uses it as punishment.

A cage or crate is a good way to transport a dog, keeping them from chewing up car interiors or personal property left in the car. It provides them with a familiar place to sleep if you are traveling and have to stay in a hotel or guest room. Properly used, it tells the dog that it is quiet time.

All of this reduces the owners frustration, anger and anxiety at their pet, which is something dogs "feel" from that owner.

The cage/crate/box/kennel is a tool for the responsible owner. Like any useful thing, is open to misuse by the ignorant or uncaring.
A cage should never be used for punishment, only to contain the dog, especially puppies so they don't chew everything up and do it's business on the floor when you're not home. Most dogs are very comfortable in the proper sized crate. Nothing bad about crate training, all dogs I crate trained turned out to be wonderful dogs.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 AM

286 posts, read 210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

He was terrified!!!

just spank em. less stress for the dog in the long run.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM

410 posts, read 744,404 times
Quote:
Right. Because physical violence isn't cruel at all.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:21 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,419,450 times
Quote:
Hit them because they are afraid in a new setting???

Nope, never hit my dogs.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,468,127 times
Yeah, hitting a dog because it's afraid will give it a lot more confidence!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,302,175 times
Quote:

You've got to be kidding me, or simply trolling and agitating and looking for an argument like in P & C. Hitting isn't the answer - not for kids, adults, pets, spouses, or even enemies. Good grief.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:47 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,966,117 times
Just wanted to chime in. My dog sleeps in his cage, nighttime is the only time he the door is locked, since he will sit at my sons bedroom door and scratch and cry to go in. My son has a loft bed and Eskimo use to sleep with him, but now my son is older and does not want the dog in his bed. So if Eskimo is left out, he does not sleep and neither does anyone else.

He has his "bed" in his crate, and the door is keep open all day and evening, as I type this Eskimo is sleeping peacefully in there right now! At 11 pm we say time for bed and he goes in...not a peep! I hated my son's decision to kick the dog out of his bed, but Eskimo seems to have gotten over it faster than I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs