Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,426,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
It's a form of punishment, really.
And letting him jump though a window would have been better????

Another issue is their food.

Rip is fed very high protein food. The same as racing dogs.

That is why he is worked 15 miles very day at a run.

BTW, my two labs have never been crated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 AM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...six-miles.html

This is when we first started Rip working out.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM

286 posts, read 210,373 times
Sounds to me like Rip doesn't even belong in the house. sounds like he needs a big yard and plenty room to run.

That's how my dogs are. they love the yard so when it's time to come inside they don't like it...lol. but they know not to act up or the belt comes out. So they just walk around checking the place out, sniffing, sleeping and waiting for me to let them outside again. soon as they cross that doorway to the outside, they take offf....lol

Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,127,158 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like Rip doesn't even belong in the house. sounds like he needs a big yard and plenty room to run.

That's how my dogs are. they love the yard so when it's time to come inside they don't like it...lol. but they know not to act up or the belt comes out. So they just walk around checking the place out, sniffing, sleeping and waiting for me to let them outside again. soon as they cross that doorway to the outside, they take offf....lol
The belt comes out?

Please explain this.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The belt comes out?

Please explain this.
Spankings.

Couple pops from the ol' leather and I got everybody's undivided attention. it beats crating imo because my dogs will tear a crate up if I tried to put them in one. I just know it.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,234,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Since the theatrics have peaked once more, thought I'd add my 2 cents. Your last statement makes no sense at all to me. You are trying to say that a "minorly unacceptable home" is better than no home. While I am a very strong advocate for no kill shelters, I will challenge you and say yes a painless death is better for these animals that the torture of being stuck in a cage for hours on end waiting for attention and interaction. I'm all for kenneling but what you are advocating is extended caging and I will never agree with that or approve a home that embraces that sort of life for a dog. Dogs destroy, urinate and defecate indoors for only one of a few reasons: Lack of training, lack of exercise or lack of having their basic needs met. The answer to a dog's behavioural problems isn't throwing them into a small space where they can't damage anything except themselves. Kinda defeats the purpose of "rescuing" them when all you are doing is subjecting them to another form of abuse. Isolation is a recognized form of abuse by the way. Dogs are social creatures and need intereaction. Like people - they do not do well when isolated and left all alone for long periods of time. I will go on the record to say (and I will do it quite strongly) if you don't have the time, the money or maturity to accept the full responsibility for providing what is best for the dog rather than what is convenient for you then - yes the dogs staying at the shelter for the possibility of an actual "good home" or the unfortunate other option of a fast painless death would be best and less abusive. You seem to have forgotten - this isn't about you or your "single working full time" friends. This is about the dogs and what is best for them. All people may have a right to own a dog but that doesn't mean that its right that they should own one. Do I wish every homeless animal had a home? Yes I do but only if the home meets their needs.

I'm stepping down from my soap box now.
Killing a dog is NOT PREFERABLE to being alone for 9 hours/day. The fact that you think that is an acceptable option is nothing short of disgusting. Someone with that attitude shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an animal of any kind. Being in a crate is not a form of torture. Dogs are not people. I know that is hard for some people to believe. We treat animals amazingly well in America. Pets are not your children, and they are not people. A dog being alone for a few hours is NOT a big deal, and you should not kill a dog just because it might be alone for a while. That is an absolutely deplorable attitude.

And if you would actually read what I said (something you have obviously not done) you would know that I don't personally crate my dog. Please actually read the thread before lecturing someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
You don't HAVE to leave a dog in a crate all day while you work. I am talking about the people who are just too lazy to train their dogs properly so that they can be left unattended.

You are a terrible listener, by the way.
Thank you for going after me personally instead of sticking to the issue. If YOU would listen, you would know that I personally don't leave my dog in a crate. You don't seem to understand that not every dog has the same personality, and not every dog can be trained to the same extent. You also seem very OK with sentencing a dog to euthanasia a dog that doesn't live up to your personal standards. That isn't something I will ever support.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I would NEVER hit Rip.

I just put him in the crate until his energy level drops.

I see you have very limited knowledge of hounds.

There are times Rip rides in a small "dog box" in the back of a pick up.

I don't like it but, that is the way trainers take them to competitions.

Rip is never lose without a GPS collar.

He can be 20 miles though the bush in a short time.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would NEVER hit Rip.

I just put him in the crate until his energy level drops.

I see you have very limited knowledge of hounds.

There are times Rip rides in a small "dog box" in the back of a pick up.

I don't like it but, that is the way trainers take them to competitions.

Rip is never lose without a GPS collar.

He can be 20 miles though the bush in a short time.

Of your hounds maybe, but not mine.

As you would never spank yours, I would never crate mine. discipline comes in different forms. IMO crating is more cruel than a spankin'.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,127,158 times
Quote:
Spankings.

Couple pops from the ol' leather and I got everybody's undivided attention. it beats crating imo because my dogs will tear a crate up if I tried to put them in one. I just know it.
That's physical abuse and is unacceptable. I was going to say that I hope your dogs don't retaliate one day, but I'd be lying.

I hope you don't have children.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That's physical abuse and is unacceptable. I was going to say that I hope your dogs don't retaliate one day, but I'd be lying.

I hope you don't have children.

Not even close.

Branding a horse or a cow, THAT'S physical abuse.

Spankin' your dog is natural and should be done.

A dog to me is just like my kids, I would never crate them either, but I would spank them.

Trying to mentally browbeat your dog in a cage is inhumane, really. It only builds up inside the agression they may have already.

I would never recommend crating a dog. that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs