Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times

Advertisements

Poor baby! This morning he freaked out when we were waking later than our normal time and the school bus came around the corner. He normally walks right next to me without a care in the world but today he freaked out, wanted to run away, tried pulling us, but I kept him close, didnt want to risk losing control. We went around and I had him sit and wait until it drove away. I felt so bad for him, big boy wanted me to pick him up. LOL. Skip, the doxie, looked at him like he was crazy.
Dogs are such funny people! =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Ginger is scared of school buses too. She started out just not liking the look of them and giving a little warning bark when she saw one coming, but one day we were next to one when the air brakes made a hissing noise, and now she will do everything she can to get away when she sees one coming.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
The school bus may make a sound (inaudible to people) that disturbs him or there could be a bad smell for him. If you can't pick him up giving him a strong hug can really help. Veterinarians at Cornell developed a close fitting cloak or coat for dogs who suffer from anxiety; the close fit helps many. Sawyer only has a problem with the school bus so the hug should work.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
I have a dog that is scared of some shrill noises.
As much time as I spent when he was a puppy trying to get him exposed to noises in Lowes and everywhere else, there are still some that we didn't work on.

Skateboards, basketballs being bounced or dribbled and roofing nailers are the scariest noises that will send him high tailing it to the opposite direction.

Although one time we were walking down the sidewalk and there was a big orange "men at work" sign that wasn't ordinarily there and he freaked out. He didn't know what to make of it.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
My Cooper used to bark like crazy at the bus until one day when we were in the front yard when the bus stopped. The teenagers fell in love with him and fed him treats. Ever since, and this dog is scary smart he just sits and begs. No more barking! The dog across the street is not as smart and just barks. No treats from the teens for him!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
He doesn't like trucks and busses! I did give him a big hug and sat on the curb around the corner and let him sit on my lap. I couldn't pick him up because,1 he's kind of big and heavy and 2 the doxie was with me and I need both hands to pick up Sawyer. He's just so funny, I felt so badly for him, he just looked at me like mommy hold me, it's gonna get me. =(

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The school bus may make a sound (inaudible to people) that disturbs him or there could be a bad smell for him. If you can't pick him up giving him a strong hug can really help. Veterinarians at Cornell developed a close fitting cloak or coat for dogs who suffer from anxiety; the close fit helps many. Sawyer only has a problem with the school bus so the hug should work.
Giving a Hug or Reasuring him will ONLY Reinforce the Fear! Ignore & Walk on!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Funny story. My cat wasn't afraid of a rottweiler, a pittbull , or a neighbors motorcycle across the street. But let the two year old neighbor ride his hot wheels down the sidewalk...and all heck broke loose.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Sammie was afraid of everything when we got her. Best thing you can do is ignore the behavior and keep walking. By not acknowledging it, you are reassuring him that its nothing to be worried about. It took Sammie a few weeks for each new thing but she now walks completely unconcerned down the street! Be consistant and it will work for Sawyer too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs