Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
CHAPTER 466 DOGS AND CATS

It's only legal if you are a conservation officer, state police officer, dog constable or a New Hampshire certified police officer. As is with most states.
Thanks for that! My knowledge is based on spending some time growing up there - more than 40 years ago - so the section 466:36 has been amended a few times since then. Only updates I've gotten are in conversation with hunting friends who hunt NH. So thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
One of the first things our hunting dog learn is to never chase deer.

If we can not teach them...........there is a trainer we could take them to..........he breaks them from chasing deer.

A hunting dog that chases deer is worthless.
Well, maybe worthless for hunting deer!

Unless I can figure out how to get them to herd the deer to me - joking! Only joking!

I used an e-collar to aid a refocus for my lab-pointer mix (now gone). And my current two herding types don't go more than a quarter mile or so away from me. So I have few worries. These two would be better for treeing something anyway, should I ever decide to work them for hunting. I had no idea how to train the pointing instinct in the Lab-GSP when he was a pup, and he learned how to chase, instead, starting with squirrels in the yard. Since I never used him as a field dog, not much point in me worrying about it. I trained him to stop in mid-chase, when I wanted him to, and that was good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Thanks for that! My knowledge is based on spending some time growing up there - more than 40 years ago - so the section 466:36 has been amended a few times since then. Only updates I've gotten are in conversation with hunting friends who hunt NH. So thanks for the update!

Well, maybe worthless for hunting deer!

Unless I can figure out how to get them to herd the deer to me - joking! Only joking!

I used an e-collar to aid a refocus for my lab-pointer mix (now gone). And my current two herding types don't go more than a quarter mile or so away from me. So I have few worries. These two would be better for treeing something anyway, should I ever decide to work them for hunting. I had no idea how to train the pointing instinct in the Lab-GSP when he was a pup, and he learned how to chase, instead, starting with squirrels in the yard. Since I never used him as a field dog, not much point in me worrying about it. I trained him to stop in mid-chase, when I wanted him to, and that was good enough for me.
It is hard to beat a Treeing Walker Coonhound for treeing...........they are hard wired.

Our hound can be 20 miles for us in just a few minutes............sometimes it terrifies me.

They is why they can not chase deer............just bear and coyotes.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM

do dogs ever really get tired?-pict0069.jpg

do dogs ever really get tired?-pict0070.jpg

do dogs ever really get tired?-pict0081.jpg

This is Rip.

What he is doing is trying to tree a turtle.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:36 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
No problem. It's an oft perpetuated myth that it is somehow 'perfectly okay for anyone to shoot a dog chasing deer'. It's the biggest load of rubbish told.

The law is the same in Michigan and in my old home state of West Virginia as well. WV goes into great detail too- the conservation officer has to make a bona-fide attempt to capture the dog prior to killing it.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | What W.Va. law says about deer-chasing dogs

My dogs are bird dogs, and even under my control in the field they will often begin to chase a deer or rabbit. I can say with 100% certainty that if someone shoots my dog, they'll be paying the hefty replacement costs for a trained, field proven bird dog, and they ain't cheap. Plan on at least $5,000. Then they'll get the charges from the state for unlawful actions and the associated penalties too.

Dogs do have a natural instinct to chase. Deer, rabbits, etc.. It's pretty dumb to set your rifle sights on a dog that is simply doing something it was hard wired to do. If the dog isn't messing with your personal property- hands off.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
No problem. It's an oft perpetuated myth that it is somehow 'perfectly okay for anyone to shoot a dog chasing deer'. It's the biggest load of rubbish told.

The law is the same in Michigan and in my old home state of West Virginia as well. WV goes into great detail too- the conservation officer has to make a bona-fide attempt to capture the dog prior to killing it.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | What W.Va. law says about deer-chasing dogs

My dogs are bird dogs, and even under my control in the field they will often begin to chase a deer or rabbit. I can say with 100% certainty that if someone shoots my dog, they'll be paying the hefty replacement costs for a trained, field proven bird dog, and they ain't cheap. Plan on at least $5,000. Then they'll get the charges from the state for unlawful actions and the associated penalties too.

Dogs do have a natural instinct to chase. Deer, rabbits, etc.. It's pretty dumb to set your rifle sights on a dog that is simply doing something it was hard wired to do. If the dog isn't messing with your personal property- hands off.
On the other hand.......just think of the cost if your dog chases a deer out in front of a car.

Our dogs have the same instinct..........and they will not look hard at a deer.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:25 PM

One big difference is Threerun is in the same area as his dogs.

Once our gets of the box.......it could be all day before we see them again.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
On the other hand.......just think of the cost if your dog chases a deer out in front of a car.

Our dogs have the same instinct..........and they will not look hard at a deer.
Is this some kind of defense for killing a dog that chases deer? You seem to like this quote- dog chases deer, deer causes horrific crash resulting in closed casket funeral (or something).

Do you have any idea how many deer/vehicle accidents occur without the assistance of a dog chasing it? (Hint- it's the vast majority of them). Oh and the number of deer related accidents that cause human death are pretty darned small.

I'm really not seeing any cogent logic at all.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
One big difference is Threerun is in the same area as his dogs.

Once our gets of the box.......it could be all day before we see them again.
You're right there. Thankfully I have over 1 million acres of public land within a very short walk/drive from my house. I can let my dogs off leash to run, play, (or hunt) and they generally stay within my line of sight. They hike with me all the time.

It wears us all out at the end of the day.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Is this some kind of defense for killing a dog that chases deer? You seem to like this quote- dog chases deer, deer causes horrific crash resulting in closed casket funeral (or something).

Do you have any idea how many deer/vehicle accidents occur without the assistance of a dog chasing it? (Hint- it's the vast majority of them). Oh and the number of deer related accidents that cause human death are pretty darned small.

I'm really not seeing any cogent logic at all.
I hope you never do..........truly.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,004,161 times
Quote:
. . .

This is Rip.

What he is doing is trying to tree a turtle.
That is one good-looking hound! Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs