Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:57 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Teddie , we have been in the market for a APBT, American staffordshire or Staffordshire terrier. We were going to buy from a breeder and decided to adopt from a rescue instead. We shifted gears over night ( literally) and thought it better to safe a life than buy for a pedigree. If you could give me any info at all about rescues/shelters for these breeds in Florida, I would be most thankful. We have found only 1 rescue in Florida and they have only 4 dogs . We need a puppy due to our situation with the love of our life ( our min pin ). Socializing a grown dog with her just won't work, but she is very tolerant with puppies and has great motherly instincts with them. We live in Sarasota county, but I am willing to drive across the state if we find the right dog for us. Great pictures everyone , Brianh gets rep for the dog going down the slide... that is the best !!!
I can do a search and I'm sure I will turn something up I love helping some one find a great dog. Does this APBT have to be a purebreed or does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 06:06 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,213 times
We would prefer a purebred, a Staffie in particular. But if we found the right dog for us that needed a home I'm sure a mix breed would send us into buying new bowls and leashes, etc . We are hoping to buy a home soon, we want a yard for our dogs to run in. So we are trying to narrow down our choices. Any info would be great.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
We would prefer a purebred, a Staffie in particular. But if we found the right dog for us that needed a home I'm sure a mix breed would send us into buying new bowls and leashes, etc . We are hoping to buy a home soon, we want a yard for our dogs to run in. So we are trying to narrow down our choices. Any info would be great.
Have you ever been onto petfinder.com? You can type in the breed, area, age, gender, size etc. and see what comes up. There are going to be a lot of mixes, but I think that is where you should start..petfinder that is.

Here are a few rescues in the sarasota area and on.
Animal Rescue Coalition - Sarasota
MOE-JOEs Family Friends Rescue Inc - Bradenton
Kickapoo Rescue Inc. - sarasota
Underdog Rescue Of Florida - Bradenton
Humane Society Of Manatee County - Bradenton

Any of these rescues will have dogs coming and going so you will probably have to go to several rescues to find the right dog. I know a lot of people that expect to find their number one dog the first time around.

I'm not sure how much help I am, but those are just a few. If those do nothing try going on to petfinder.

You know it is harder than I was thinking. My rescue is in the DFW part of Tx are you sure you don't want to make a long road trip lol. We have so many here!! I see at least two-three new ones each week.

Last edited by TeddieXRuxpin; 09-07-2007 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,640 times
For the right dog, DFW isn't that far from Florida.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
For the right dog, DFW isn't that far from Florida.
Lol it's still a long long ways.. For some reason I was thinking there would be a ton of shelter staffies or APBT, but when looking there aren't a huge amount. Here and with the rescues I work with we have new ones coming and going. It's hard to find homes, but we've found several very good ones.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
Lol it's still a long long ways.. For some reason I was thinking there would be a ton of shelter staffies or APBT, but when looking there aren't a huge amount. Here and with the rescues I work with we have new ones coming and going. It's hard to find homes, but we've found several very good ones.
Yeah, there's hardly any APBTs, AmStaffs or Staffies in shelters in our area. There hasn't been for as long as we have lived here, that's why none of our dogs came from shelters. We couldn't find any in shelters and then our pups all just kind of found us! When I checked pet finder for APBTs in our area it didn't even bring up one! I do however, know a lot of people that own APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies. Most of the dogs in our neighborhood are some kind of bully/ bulldog breed ( Bulldog Breeds - English Bulldog, American Bulldog, Pit Bull Terrier, Pitbull and more ) or a so-called "dangerous" breed. There are a few little tiny dogs, a few Labs, etc, but not very many. And we don't live in a bad part of town or anything either, where we live there's really just a lot of young families with young children and a few older couples. Normally (or where I lived before moving here anyway) you don't see too many people that own these breeds, but you can find a bunch in the shelters.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:42 PM

Well and I know they are illegal in Miami Dade county, but hat's far from Sarasota county. I guess with me seeing so many here in Texas I thought for sure they'd have several in Florida.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
Well and I know they are illegal in Miami Dade county, but hat's far from Sarasota county. I guess with me seeing so many here in Texas I thought for sure they'd have several in Florida.
I have lived in Florida my whole life, I was born and raised in Jacksonville FL and there are always "pit bulls" in the shelters in Jax. I also lived in Ft. Lauderdale FL, Ft. Myers FL and Gainesville FL for a while and there were always "pit bulls" in the shelters there. Even with "pit bulls" being illegal in Miami they are still all over the place down there. When "pit bulls" get picked up in Miami they take them to the shelters in Ft. Lauderdale (Broward county) to be adopted out there. There are definitely a lot of pits in shelters in FL, just not where we live for whatever reason?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Thanks!
When there is nobody in the kids playpark we let him loose. He goes directly to the slide and goes down it over and over and over again all by himself. He loves it. We never pushed him down it once.
THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!I WISH OUR DOGS WOULD DO THAT!!!Dakota is quite a character!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Yeah he is. The first time he did it he followed Liam (my eldest son) up and just slid down after him. That slide he loves bounces him from wall to wall too. He just loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs