Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 03:45 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,605,784 times

Advertisements

My friend Dave and I walk my two dogs and his dog Buddy almost every morning up at a leash free area on the bluffs above the leash free
beach. There are many dogs there and it is usually peaceful. Well Chaos can stir it up as she finds things like socks or a shoe then teases other dogs into a game of chase then Dazzle joins in and we have highspeed fun chase in and out all the bushes

The other morning after we had left a small dog was killed by another dog and I hear it was fast and very bloody and the people that were there are very traumatized by it. It did not have to happen if people would just be responsible From what I hear a man was walking his daughters large dog and she had told him NOT to let it off leash but he saw another dog of the same breed playing and decided to let the dog off leash ( Mistake #1).

The two dogs were having a great time but as the game went on they started getting too excited and aggressive but no one bothered to stop them( Mistake #2)

so there now were too over excited large dogs playing.if only someone had stopped them and made them chill out for a few moments... enter a family with a small yappy dog who decided it wanted in on the rough play with the two over excited dogs and no one bothered to stop the little dog ( mistake #3) .

It only took a few minutes for the small dog to race over and yap at the two and for one of them to grab it and make it the toy. Yup right in front of these kids who loved the little guy ..the small dog was ripped apart and killed instantly, Sad part is if just one of those owners had been responsible it would not have happened.

If you are walking someone elses dog and they tell you do not take it off leash please pay attention and DO NOT TAKE IT OFF LEASH as there is a reason they told you not too.

If your dog is playing with another dog or group of dogs and starts getting too excited take him out of the play for a few moments and make him chill out. Teach him/her some self control.

If you own a small dog and see larger dogs especially ones where play is getting rough for Gods sake do not let your small dog race over and yap or nip at them scoop it up and move to some place away from the play and do not let it go pester the big dogs.

It is interesting to hear people talk about this as many hold the man that took the dog off leash responsible but I think all 3 owners share responsibility as when you take a dog off leash to play you assume there are risks and you accept that if not stay away from off leash parks/trails beaches.This is a tragedy that did not have to happen if just one pesron would have stepped in before it got to the point it did so if you have your dog off leash please be responsible and keep and eye on your dog and its behavior and if you do not trust a dog off leash then do not let it off leash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 04:57 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,058,311 times
oh my gosh... just the perfect storm of errors on everyone's part...... knowing dog body language is SO VERY important.....

so sorry to see this, but you have provided wise advice.... if only the people who need to see it would see it.....

and i gotta admit.... i opened this thread with great trepidation and 1 eye closed.... relieved that nothing else has happened in your fur family......

Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,638,051 times
Amen, Dash...

I agree with LTTP...

Dash, I am glad it was not you and yours involved. (Nor your friend...) I am so sorry it happened at all.

When things can be avoided, it becomes the sadist. I agree all involved must take some of the responsibilitity. You cannot point the finger at just one person when there were three dogs involved. All the owners made mistakes. Serious mistakes.

It is sad that the ones that need to read your post the most will most likely never see it. Because here, you'll get an, AMEN from me!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:12 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,309,922 times
I hear ya Dashdog!!...would that EVERYone with a dog would!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs