Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 05:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,246,529 times

Advertisements

I'm asking for help for a friend of mine. I don't own bull dogs, but have noticed a few here do and maybe you can help her. I have suggested a few things, but wanted to see if I missed anything. TIA

Here's what she emailed me:

My Son has a friend who has a friend deployed overseas. Apparely FOF has a 3year old Son and was in a relationship which included a english bully pup. Well things went sour, her parents now have the child but could not handle the dog.
My sons friend knew we have 2 english bull dogs and basically begged us to take Daisey Mae. She is 1 year old, all white with a big brown spot on her back, adorable yes.
Well, were going on 2 wks this sunday. I have gates and crates to separate them, but so far not doing so well.
Daisy gets very hyper and excited, bites and grabs your feet, clothes. I have band aids all over my hands. They have sniffed each other while on leashes, but so far have not been together. I understand Daisy must be feeling super anxious especially coming into a home with 2 bullys, 5 parrots and a kitty. Heck she lived in a crate most of the time from what I understand.

My older bullys aren't doing so well either, especially the Male. Mr. Alpha dog.
I keep reading up on the web, but starting to wonder if Daisy has some bad past experiences or just a the new envionment is too overwhelming and she is acting defensively.

I don't want to give up on her, I expect this to take atleast a month. It is hard for me to do the musical dog routine especially for potty breaks, but manageable.

I wonder how can I stop this bitting and agression. I did at first smack her in the nose, worst thing I know, now I put her to the floor, hold her tell her NO and then Time Out in her cage.

Any Help or advice greatly welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,643,179 times
For now, it will be crate and rotate for potty breaks if dogs are not getting along. (That's what I got from the e-mail.)

How much exercise are all the dogs getting? How much help does this gal have? She is not doing this alone, right? She needs to enlist the help of others in the home to help walk all dogs. Everyone needs to be burning energy off these bullies so no one wants to fight.

Is everyone spayed and neutered? If not, that is the next step. No extra hormones. That always elevates fights...just look at what makes men fight, testosterone and what makes them drool? Estrogen!

Are her bullies females or males? Does the new addition start the fights or does the her originals start fights? How was the introduction made? I guess we just need more info. Will she be keeping the bulldog for good or just until the soldier comes home?

Please let us know...

~LuvABull

Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,754,304 times
I would do lots of pack walks with the dogs. That means at least one other person helping on the walks. When the walks seem to be going well, after one of the walks, let her and one of the other dogs loose in the back yard together for a short time. Then do it with the other dog. If things go well, gradually you can permit them more time. We have had dogs who we have had to keep separated for over a month and it worked out fine. Side note: 3 dogs are very, very hard to manage over time. Consider rehoming this dog. EBD's are very much in demand and I know you can find a great home for her.

Please have her spayed if you keep her or not! Unspayed dogs will eventually have litters. Backyard breeders are beyond crazy and there are tons of unwanted dogs being killed in shelters every day. Don't let this girl add to the canine population, even if she is an EBD.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,246,529 times
Thanks for the info. Yes, everyone is spayed/neutered. I will pass this info onto my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs