Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,806,708 times

Advertisements

I adopted my first dog about 3.5 yrs ago and she was not house trained. I spent a lot of time training her and finally one day it clicked to go outside. I was very proud and thrilled. Six months after adopting her, I adopted another dog. They get along fine and at first no problems because she came to me already trained. Well I don't know who started it but one would pee or poop in the house, usually in the same area and then I believe the other started doing it. It's not all the time but enough to smell and I've had to replace the area rug a few times. It's hard to tell which does it on any particular day because I hardly ever catch them. I just find the mess after. They get two walks a day unless raining but they also have a doggie door they are fully trained to use. In addition, I have two back doors that lead to their fenced area and I'm always opening for them to go out if they want. For sure they know they are supposed to go outside, so I don't know what the problem is. Any suggestions? They are min. dachshunds so they are very stubborn but I love them to pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:40 PM

13,933 posts, read 39,446,206 times
You need to ReTrain them to go Outside. Make sure you clean Real Good!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:35 PM

3,629 posts, read 7,705,057 times
Dachshunds can be quite the chore to housebreak...chihuahuas can be darn near impossible too!

The only advice I can give is probably not practical...I would keep them on lead at all times in the house with me and crate them when unable to supervise until they "get it".

Praise like crazy when they do thins right and don't allow opprotunities for mistakes.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,922,779 times
1: stop opening the door and "letting them out" go out with them..every 2 hours untill this stops then slowly increase the time. by going out with them not only are you making sure there not getting into trouble, but that they are going out and pottying

2: retrain, simply start from scratch pretend they are puppies, set your alarm if you have to and take them out every 1-2 hours when your home (when your not crate them) go out with them, tell them "go potty" and praise them when they do, seriously make a REAL big deal out of it when they go potty outside.
when you catch them in the act of an accident, a sharp NO or "ah ah" and imediatly scoop the dog up and take it outside, encorage and praise...when they go where there supposed to.

3: untill they can be trusted, if your not around to supervise 100% crate them or put them in a small "dog proof" room (ie the bathroom) with a baby gate...giving them free run of the house while there having accidents isnt going to teach them aything.
cooking dinner, either gate them in the kitchen with you or put them in the "safe room" haveing a shower? going to the bathroom? going out with frineds, ect...if you cannot watch them fully then they shouldne be "loose"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs