Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:12 PM

389 posts, read 3,541,003 times

Advertisements

If I remember correctly, it's the position of the tail, and not whether it is wagging or not. I took a class with a certified behaviorist when I worked for the humane society since we did temperment testing and were the first people to come in contact with these dogs. If the tail is straight up, that's a warning, the tail should be at a more relaxed position, but not tucked (that could end up being a dog with fear based agression).

I have the same problem with both of my goldens and we discussed this on another thread a while back. I walk my boys on gentle leaders and I don't encourage them to interact with other dogs anymore since they are really isolated where we live and are rarely around other dogs, so my goal is to get them to ignore other dogs we come in contact with. When we are walking and we come up to another dog, I tell my boys to "leave it", a command they already know and as long as they keep walking past and focus on me and what I am saying, I keep telling them they are good boys and reward them. If they start reacting to the other dog, I just keep walking and don't allow them to stop, and as soon as they get their focus back on me, I reward them and we still keep going.

Training classes are a great way to get through this because not only will she learn her manners (or perfect what she already knows) but she will constantly be exposed to other dogs if you go to a group training (agreed against pet smart type classes, I don't know what type of qualifications the trainers there have) but that's another good place to expose your dog to other pets, just walk through a pet store, but be sure you have control before trying that I highly recommend the gentle leader, my dogs are so much more attentive to me and better behaved when they have them on. But beware, your pooch will likely not enjoy the feeling at first, so you just gotta put it on and go, and if she stops and has a temper trantrum (and it will happen) you just have to keep walking so she has to follow or be pulled along...she will stop the fit really quickly when she finds out it won't get you to stop or take it off or even pay any attention...don't react in any way until she stops misbehaving and starts walking with you and then tell her she's a good girl.

Sorry so long, I hope this helps.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 PM

673 posts, read 3,148,684 times
I think obedence classes will do him wonders. Our dog really benefited from them and we did as owners too. Although we still have issues with dogs that are larger and more aggressive than ours, but he's come a long way.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:02 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,646,043 times
I posted the link to the chart showing the different postures a dog may take some time ago. Don't ever think that if a dog is wagging his/her tail that means they have to be happy campers. By the way one poster stated they put themselves between the offending dogs if they are showing agression. I say never put yourself between two dogs that are showing "ANY TYPE" of agression. If you must pass, pass right shoulder to right shoulder with the other dogs handler with the pooches obviously being to each handlers left side where they belong. Never put yourself in the middle of what has the potential of being a dog fight. Anybody that's been bit will tell you the same! Sorry to get a bit off point. As far as the Golden. It's time for him to go to Good doggie school like others have said. Don't wait for him to grow out of it. It will just be that much harder to break him of a bad habit. Good luck to you.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 11,923 times
Default Oh, the first year...

It's an awesome time to enjoy your Golden as you will having the pleasure of their existence. The first year is their puppy stage. Lots of energy is natural and their just excited to meet other pals. Training is very helpful. When we took our 8 yr old, Brinkley, to his class, we learned that was us who needed training. If the dog broke something, chewed a shoe, or tore up paper left out, they asked us "why did we leave it there?" Good point. We have to view the world in their eyes and realize they are animals first, we need to respect their natural responses, and train them just like you are teaching a child. You should be aware that not all dogs are trained, respect other dogs and their owners, and enjoy letting your puppy retrieve, jump in pools, lakes, beaches. They love the water! We take ours to the beach each year.
I hope this helps.

Enjoy your Golden.
~Vilma (Brinkley's Mom)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs