Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 AM

2,127 posts, read 6,856,498 times

Advertisements

Out of 6 dogs that hubby or I have trained, this new one is just not getting the outside thing. She pees & poops out there, but she also does it in the house, she is not learning to HOLD it. The other dogs all learned this, I don't know why she isn't. She must be aware that her brother isn't doing it. During the day she's caged while we're at work, no problem there, it's during the night she won't hold it. So we'll have to cage her again at night now. We got her a month ago, they estimated her to be 8 months. My vet thinks she's at least a year. How can you teach a dog to hold it?

If it matters....she's very smart, sometimes stubborn. I think she is a mini greyhound mix. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,761,473 times
I use a doggie diaper in the house and remove it to go outside. Every couple of days I keep it off inside until the accident.....at which point we immediately go outside so the dog knows again where the correct potty place is....then as we go back inside the diaper comes back on. Usually after a short time they get it.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 AM

26,220 posts, read 22,387,744 times
I don't understand this statement: " She must be aware that her brother isn't doing it." You mean that the brother isn't going inside? This is not a housebreaking issue but a soiling issue and it is not a matter of "getting it".
Is she doing it in front of you so that you know for sure that it is her? Are you home when it is happening? What sort of thing is happening before she does this and what happens after? I think this is a behavioral problem. Have you talked with the vet about this and if not, I would start there to make sure there is not a physical problem. Also, could she be overmarking where dogs have "went" in these locations before and are you using a special cleaner to eliminate the scent, which is hard to eliminate?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM

I meant she must notice that the other dog isn't soiling in the house, it's just her. She learns behavior from him, but is not learning this. Yes she does it in front of us, and if we yell she will stop, but she doesn't retain it. And I praise her when she goes outside. Yes I use good cleaners that eliminate the scent. She'll be playing, decide she has to go, and walk somewhere else and squat. Then back to playing. I am used to scolding a dog regarding something and the dog not doing it again. We just haven't had a dog do this before, not for this long.

I had a doggie diaper on her last night and the hole is too big, she STILL pooped on the rug.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:40 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,495,324 times
You can tether her to you so you don't miss the signs she needs to go out. Or you can figure out how often these things happen and let her out at intervals shorter than this, going out with her so you know she's done her business. Or you can keep her out for a set interval until she's come in from doing her business and then crate her until you can let her out.
One of my dogs was an adult who'd forgotten housebreaking when I adopted her. It took two months, but she has become 100% trustworthy, no accidents in a year. I'm confident enough in her to tell her to go back to sleep if she tries to wake me in the morning. Even when she had a bout of diarrhea for a couple of days, there were no accidents. Don't give up hope!
I did crate her at night for maybe a month after the accidents stopped. I think that would be a good idea for your dog too.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 AM

3,755 posts, read 12,449,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You can tether her to you so you don't miss the signs she needs to go out. Or you can figure out how often these things happen and let her out at intervals shorter than this, going out with her so you know she's done her business. Or you can keep her out for a set interval until she's come in from doing her business and then crate her until you can let her out.
One of my dogs was an adult who'd forgotten housebreaking when I adopted her. It took two months, but she has become 100% trustworthy, no accidents in a year. I'm confident enough in her to tell her to go back to sleep if she tries to wake me in the morning. Even when she had a bout of diarrhea for a couple of days, there were no accidents. Don't give up hope!
I did crate her at night for maybe a month after the accidents stopped. I think that would be a good idea for your dog too.
All of this and...suggest a quick trip to the vet to rule out any urinary tract infections. That can be a major contributory factor in lack of bladder control.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,416,699 times
she could also have spay incontinence, along with bladder infection .

please do have her checked at the vet first.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,469,149 times
Another thought, she's a young dog and small - small dogs have small bladders - as someone who used to have large dogs and who now has small ones, small dogs do take longer to 'get' it - they just dont have the muscle control as youngsters that they'll have as adults. You may be lucky w/ your male in that he caught on fast and 'gets' it. She may be a little slower and it may be more gradual w/ her but in time, she'll figure it out, she may have a good day and a bad day but it takes time.

PS I agree w/ the others, she may have a UTI and it's best to get it checked out to rule it out. Also, given she has a same-age sibling, Im assuming she's spayed but if she's not, that's a whole 'nother thing and she may be coming into heat etc and hormones can throw everything off.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Thanks all....yes she's spayed...she never soils in the crate, and she's in there all day and all night : (.
So I don't think anything's wrong. I really like to hear from people who have experienced this. We'll give it more time. We do take her out more frequently. But that one day she pooped twice during the day (inside) and hadn't even eaten anything (had pooped after dinner the day before), that blows my mind!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM

13,943 posts, read 39,480,307 times
She Not pooping out what she just ate! Shes pooping out what she eats the day before LOL So Not eating Doent mean No Pooping LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs