Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:35 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,139,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
Thanks Honeycrisp for the advice! We've had her for three weeks now and I know things won't change overnight but something has to give or these next nine months will not be fun.

She is given two walks a day. A good 4 miles with me in the mornings and I have the kids take her out for a smaller one in the evenings.

A trial run probably would have been a better idea but she's a good friend that I went to boot camp with over ten years ago. She's still active duty and if I was still active duty I'd hope someone would help me out in the same situation. My husband says I'm too nice sometimes.

Dog park is out of the question as she can't stand any other dogs.

and yes she's not given any treats unless she's acting accordingly. If anything I think we are giving her too many treats thinking that she'll take more to the kids.
Forget dog parks http://leerburg.com/pdf/dogparks.pdf . They can be dangerous due to human ignorance mainly, and I'm glad you've wisely decided to forego those.

She needs much more exercise, especially mental exercise. Daily obedience training for as little as 10 minutes will give her as much stimulation as a 10 mile hike. http://leerburg.com/pdf/markers-clickers.pdf . have fun and teach the dog at the same time. You can work on obedience training, fun tricks (such as teaching the dog to help with the housework), or new games such as dog versions of the old redlight, greenlight game. You can even incorporate some mental exercise into your daily walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs