Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM

166 posts, read 347,037 times

Advertisements

I really like Rotts and Golden Retriever, but they are big. Any other dogs out there that are smaller, but yet are consider as smart like Rotts?

I think Siz-chu (spelling?) are stupid. Totally lack intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Shar-pei

They are only 30-45 lbs, sometimes a bit bigger , and very smart.
Attached Thumbnails
Smart Smallish-Medium Size Dogs......-dscf5279.jpg  

Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
There are a lot of medium sized mixed breed dogs that are very smart

Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM

166 posts, read 347,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Shar-pei

They are only 30-45 lbs, sometimes a bit bigger , and very smart.
Yeah, um..I forgot to mention, they would have to be at least decent looking.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Beagles are intelligent problem-solvers (which makes them a bit of a hassle).

My beagle mix is 35 lbs, he is a bit taller than the average beagle.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
There are some boxers that are between 35-45 lbs. I think boxers are pretty smart dogs.
I used to think my boston terriers were wicked smart until I started fostering boxers. Bostons are really fun dogs, but I don't think as intelligent as boxers.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
just wow...
shi-tzu are not dumb
and peis while not everyones cuppa tea are not ugly...
your about as tactfull as a kinfe to the face huh?!
your not going to make many frineds by calling other breeds dumb or ugly, this forum is filled with people who LOVE peiz and shi-tzu.

its ok to not like or be interested in a certain breed...
Its NOT ok to call them dumb or ugly.
a simple "i dont realy like the look" or "im not a fan of the personality" ect.

personally ive met more "dumb" goldens than i have dumb shi-tzus but its got nothing to do with learning ability and more to do with the person who owns the dog.
i dont like labs but id never go around calling them dumb or ugly.

smallish-medium means absolutly nothing...how big is too big to you...everyone has there own opinion as to what a "medium" sized dog is, to somone used to danes and mastifs a 60lb doberman might be a medium sized breed, but to a chihuahua owner a 60lb dog is LARGE...
so wed need to know what your ideal weight range is
for me, im so used to sooo many different size ranges that a "medium dog" is anything from 30-70lbs...and thats a HUGE range., a dog isnt large untill it gets past 70lbs and giants are over 100lbs lol. to someone else a 70lb dog could be huge and 50lb dog "large"...

you "like" goldens and rots but those are 2 VERY different dogs, so what exactly would you be looking for...
obviously a "pretty" dog (which given goldens and rots have comepltl different head shapes its hard to tell what your "pretty" would be)
obviously "inteligent" however goldens and rots have very different personalities and trainbilities so its hard to say what kind of training and "type" of inteligence your looking for in a dog, ar eyou looking for a breed whos eager to please and picks up things qickly, or are you looking for a breed thats more "inteligent" but harder to train becaue they think (ie sighthounds are constantly put down as "dumb" but they are anything but...they are increidbly smart, there just not easily trained, yet labs are constantly called "smart" when infact most arnt that bright when it comes to thinking for themselves, theyre just extreemly eager to please and thus VERY trainable)

wed also need to know what kind of grooming needs youd be willing to go through, how much excersize your interested/able to give...are kids or other pets in the home (some great dogs are flat out not suitable for a home with birds or rodents ect for example)

in terms of a "pretty" and "inteligent" "smallish medium" breed the first thing that comes to mind is a large mini or a small standard poodle, theyre smart, compact, pretty face with beautiful eyes, but they need coat upkeep...

A border collie is definatly a pretty and inteligent dog but probably TOO much energy for most homes

Nothing ugly about a spaniel, if you like goldens, check out springer and britney spaniels.

and theres certainly PLENTY of mixed breed dogs sitting around in shelters that could fit anything your looking for in a dog if you take the time to find it

if you can give us a better run down of what your looking for in a dog we'd be more able to narrow it down.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
All Dogs are Smart its the Owners that are Dumb!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:48 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
A mixed-breed that appears to be predominantly a herding dog or poodle mix. However, "smart" is a subjective thing. I once told a friend that his Lab didn't seem too smart (since I favor the herders) and he said, "He's smart enough. We get up in the morning, I have coffee and he has breakfast, I go to work, and he goes back to sleep. Who's the smart one?"
I also take difference with the OP's assumption that mixed-breeds are ugly or whatever. I think judging an animal on "beauty", well, I think that could be a person who doesn't love their animal, but judges them, or wants a trophy. I know that sounds harsh, but I hardly think beauty is requirement to share a home with an animal.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
Border Collies are a relatively small, highly intelligent canine, however they (as another poster mentioned), have a wicked high drive. Very smart, agile, and cute as hell, but NOT an ideal pet unless you have a lot of energy, a lot of running room, and a lot of patience. My one year old just turned 50K miles...........and he is just warmin up Don't let the cute face fool you.....they are NOT a breed for everyone !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs