Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,629,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Frankly, my old shih tzu was a lot smarter than my neighbor's rottie. She definitely knew more basic commands and tricks.

OP, "smart" is hard to quantify w/ dogs based on breeds. The word you're looking for is "trainable". Some breeds are more trainable than others based on their breed function. Herding and sporting breeds, for example, traditionally work closely with humans and so are highly trainable. Hounds and terriers typically work away from people and work more on instinct than specific commands, so these dogs are harder to train.

Of course, these are generalizations, but if you want a trainable, small dog, I'd recommend poodles, papillon, and shelties, to start (though there plenty of smart, trainable dogs outside of these breeds and that are even mutts)
Here is a shih-tzu and Pei...too cute

Shih-tzu feat. Shar-pei - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,589,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Here is a shih-tzu and Pei...too cute

Shih-tzu feat. Shar-pei - YouTube
Well THAT shih-tzu ain't no dummy! Too cute.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,895,079 times
people dont get that trainability and inteligence are two different things.

the most inteligent dog ive ever met was completly "untrainable" her human called her dumb...(afghan hound) but when you realy paid attention, she wasnt dumb...infact she was smarter than her people...you could see those cogs working in the "how an i get what i want with the least amount of effort...
a "why should i fetch it...you threw it YOU go get it" kind of dog lol.

and Dozer man is as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to trainability (he tries but hes got the focus of a squirrel on speed!) but this "dumb" dog learnt how to open the treat cabinate at 6 weeks of age, and learnt how to open the fridge as soon as he was tall enough...its all about motivation lol

also my personal version of "ugly" isnt the same as everyone elses...
personally some of my favorte breeds (Mastifs, Xolos and Chinese Cresteds) are commonly listed as "ugly" but i find them absolutly beautiful...

so i dont feel its right for people to coment on a breed being "ugly" or "dumb"
Definatly shows small mindedness.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,629,919 times
I agree. Plus I like original, unusual dogs. Bulldogs, peis, and mastiffs . French bulldogs are also very funny.

Plus they are a great conversation piece when you are walking them in a dog park!.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 PM

438 posts, read 948,237 times
I agree, you should decide if you're looking for "smart" or "trainable". My GSD was very smart...she would jump fences after everyone left the house and jump back in right before we got home. She found all kinds of ways to escape the various methods we used to keep her corralled....super smart girl, but not very cooperative.
My current dog is the most trainable, eager to please little guy I've ever had. I got him out of a shelter so I can't be sure of his ancestory, but he looks like a giant rat terrier (they're called "feist terriers" around here). He learns commands and tricks very quickly and has a nice repetoire to show off Only weights 25 lbs but is not yappy like some small dogs and is happy to lounge around with me or go for 10 mile runs. He's really easy to deal with. Highly recommended!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,427,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
people dont get that trainability and inteligence are two different things.

the most inteligent dog ive ever met was completly "untrainable" her human called her dumb...(afghan hound) but when you realy paid attention, she wasnt dumb...infact she was smarter than her people...you could see those cogs working in the "how an i get what i want with the least amount of effort...
a "why should i fetch it...you threw it YOU go get it" kind of dog lol.

and Dozer man is as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to trainability (he tries but hes got the focus of a squirrel on speed!) but this "dumb" dog learnt how to open the treat cabinate at 6 weeks of age, and learnt how to open the fridge as soon as he was tall enough...its all about motivation lol

also my personal version of "ugly" isnt the same as everyone elses...
personally some of my favorte breeds (Mastifs, Xolos and Chinese Cresteds) are commonly listed as "ugly" but i find them absolutly beautiful...

so i dont feel its right for people to coment on a breed being "ugly" or "dumb"
Definatly shows small mindedness.

Personally I don't like shih tzu's but MANY people do, to each is own.

Anyway OP what is your lifestyle like? Active? Large household? We can name dogs out the wazoo but can't really give a recommendation with such little information.

Your description on "smart smallish-medium size dogs" is vague. Did you mean toy, small breed, or medium?

Old 03-28-2012, 08:12 PM

449 posts, read 1,701,137 times
Here's a mouthful of a name
nova scotia duck tolling retriever. 30-50 lbs reddish long
haired. Sporting breed and needs activity like a border
Collie. We got ours when she was 5 and she is much
More laid back than most. We were looking for a quiet mild
Temperament Aussie shepherd. She's smaller than a BC
Been awesome pet. Known for intell, trainable, loyal we didn't
Know she was nstr for a few years.

Sorry about format. Texting from phone
Bree

Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,012,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
There are some boxers that are between 35-45 lbs. I think boxers are pretty smart dogs.
I used to think my boston terriers were wicked smart until I started fostering boxers. Bostons are really fun dogs, but I don't think as intelligent as boxers.
Really? That seems small to me. Mine is past 80lbs (again ) and he is small compared to his Dad and his older brother.

As for Shih Tzu's, mine is pretty creative. Too much so.

My smartest dog is my Bichon Frise though. It seems like that dog is always scheming.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,721,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Really? That seems small to me. Mine is past 80lbs (again ) and he is small compared to his Dad and his older brother.

As for Shih Tzu's, mine is pretty creative. Too much so.

My smartest dog is my Bichon Frise though. It seems like that dog is always scheming.
Rescue groups gets "pocket boxers" all the time. My own pb female weighs 42 lbs. She was a breeder for a jerk who kept breeding her to small males to sell boxers to apartment dwellers (where there's often a 50 lbs. weight limit); unfortunately this is all too uncommon.

Here's a listing of BINS (Boxers In Need) of a Dallas area rescue group -- these are boxers waiting for foster homes and they are in shelters or being surrendered by owners. If you read through the bios, you will see a large variance in sizes....some really small dogs! http://savetheboxers.com/need.php

Old 03-29-2012, 10:58 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,012,869 times
Smart Smallish-Medium Size Dogs......-2011-11-23-16.29.28_houston_texas_us.jpg

Smart Smallish-Medium Size Dogs......-2011-09-27-16.47.57.jpg

Smart Smallish-Medium Size Dogs......-120710153706.jpgSmart Smallish-Medium Size Dogs......-1329677600948.jpg

Smart Smallish-Medium Size Dogs......-1330450472493.jpg

Smart Smallish-Medium Size Dogs......-1329153770219.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Rescue groups gets "pocket boxers" all the time. My own pb female weighs 42 lbs. She was a breeder for a jerk who kept breeding her to small males to sell boxers to apartment dwellers (where there's often a 50 lbs. weight limit); unfortunately this is all too uncommon.

Here's a listing of BINS (Boxers In Need) of a Dallas area rescue group -- these are boxers waiting for foster homes and they are in shelters or being surrendered by owners. If you read through the bios, you will see a large variance in sizes....some really small dogs! Legacy Boxer Rescue - Serving the Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW Metroplex) area of Texas
Oh I didn't doubt you, was just expressing surprise because I thought mine was on the small side.

Dallas apartments has weight limits up to 50lbs? That is generous. Most here are about 28lbs (such an arbitrary number) but some go up to 30 and some down to 25.

I attached pics of my Boxer. He is usually camera shy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs