Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM

175 posts, read 590,852 times

Advertisements

We have a 9 year old lab who lost her fur sister of 14 years. She had never been alone before. We decided to adopt another lab through a rescue agency. We have completed the application and home visit and we were matched with a 5 yr old surrendered lab. We are scheduled to meet the new dog next week. We just found out today the new dog gets carsick. We were not told this prior to today. We have an RV which we travel in almost every other weekend usually to the mountains or beach and an average of 2 – 3 hr. trips. Also I do not work outside the home so anytime I leave the house my dogs always went with me. My husband said this is a deal breaker since we travel so much with our dogs and he doesn’t even want to meet the new dog for fear that I will take her no matter what. Is there any way to stop carsickness or am I just asking for trouble from both the dog and my husband? Should I wait for another dog that is available for us to adopt? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,389,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
We have a 9 year old lab who lost her fur sister of 14 years. She had never been alone before. We decided to adopt another lab through a rescue agency. We have completed the application and home visit and we were matched with a 5 yr old surrendered lab. We are scheduled to meet the new dog next week. We just found out today the new dog gets carsick. We were not told this prior to today. We have an RV which we travel in almost every other weekend usually to the mountains or beach and an average of 2 – 3 hr. trips. Also I do not work outside the home so anytime I leave the house my dogs always went with me. My husband said this is a deal breaker since we travel so much with our dogs and he doesn’t even want to meet the new dog for fear that I will take her no matter what. Is there any way to stop carsickness or am I just asking for trouble from both the dog and my husband? Should I wait for another dog that is available for us to adopt? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bear had some pills from the vet.

In time, he was fine in the car.....even liked it.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,083,248 times
I was warned ahead of time that Artie would get carsick. He always had with his previous owner.

One of our first times in the car, he upchucked.

I thought about the few times he had been in the car and realized something: the time that he vomited, he had eaten within the hour before getting in the car.

So... I stopped doing that. I don't give Artie food within the hour.

No more puking.

We've driven to Montreal (6-7 hours) with no problem.

Other solutions that have worked well (for puking and anxiety), besides not feeding right before a meal:
- When I sit in the backseat with him
- When I open the window for him, whenever he smushes his face against it (just like for humans, fresh air helps nausea)

Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,356,696 times
Even IF you give him meds 1 they have to be given 30 mins before you leave..so a quick trip to the store be out! 2 poor dog still feel merserabl[sp] I would pass up this dog for his sake!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM

5,098 posts, read 12,604,815 times
When I got Dazzle he was 8 months and had never really gone many places until his breeder drove him from Washington down to the SF Bay area of CA and he vomited frequently that whole trip. He also vomited on the drive from the Bay to Santa Barbara and any time I took him places. Then like others have said I did not feed him if he was going in the car within an hour of feeding and that took care of the vomiting. Yet he still really does not seem to enjoy car rides and I have to lift him in the car as he refuses to get in even though it is almost always to go to some place he has fun. Unlike all the other dogs I have owned he gets no joy out of car rides. He did go on a trip to Oregon with me and the fact he never really wanted to get in the car made it difficult, oh he was thrilled to explore any place we stopped but when the time came to get back in the car he would give me a hang dog expression. He is a sight hound and they tend to drool and it drips from their mouth when they are nervous and in the car he drips and drips. Rescue remedy can take the edge off but I doubt he will ever love cars rides. ( he is 3 now).

Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,421,279 times
Personally, I WOULD meet the dog and see if he has an aversion to being in the car as well as being car sick. If he has an aversion, I would say yes, pass. If it is car sickness, there are soooo many treatments available that I'm sure there is one that would work very well.

We have a hound that doesn't get car sick but just doesn't like car rides. Sammie will get into the van but never looks happy to be there like our retrievers. Make sure this pup LIKES riding!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM

298 posts, read 705,221 times
Our collie got used to riding in the car and the vomiting ceased. It took just a week or two.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,175,303 times
I personally wouldn't chance it. I'm sure another great lab will be available soon. This dog will take away the spontaneity you seem to enjoy.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,015,573 times
I'd adopt the dog. Motion sickness can be medicated against and a dislike of riding in vehicles is something that can be fairly easily conquered with training, motivation, and exposure.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM

30,325 posts, read 23,808,618 times
I would ask if you would be allowed to take him out in your car and drive him around. See how he reacts?

If he's a surrendered dog, perhaps the other times he was in the car he was fearful? Maybe the only time he was ever in the car was to go to the vet? Maybe all kinds of things...

I think you should take him for a "test drive" and see how it works out. If it doesn't, and it's a reputable rescue, they will take him back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs