Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM

144 posts, read 295,907 times

Advertisements

I need suggestions on keeping my Jack Russell out of the kitty litter box. I just got this adorable cat and I've never had a cat before. Frankie (dog) and Dizzy (cat) get along great but Frankie wants to eat Dizzy's food and poop. I put the food up off the ground but I don't know where to put the litter box. I thought about getting a gate that only the cat could get through to use the bathroom but the cat is just as big as the dog so Frankie would be able to get through as easy as Dizzy. Please help me figure something out because when I got home from work today, Frankie's stomach seemed a little upset and I think it's because of the litter box.

Thank You ahead of time for any suggestions you may have!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Same as the food bowl anywhere the cat can get to it & the dog cant. I have put the litterbox on dryer shelves another room dogs are not allowed.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
No cat = no suggestions - but keep Frankie out of Dizzy's food, too - hard on the kidneys for a dog.

How about a baby gate the cat can jump over between rooms, but the dog can't? Baby gates are my answer to most dog problems :-)

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
almost everybody who has both cat and dog deals with this problem. I find if my dogs are fed regularly and on time they don't mess with the litter box but I also clean out my litter box several times throughout the day. maybe a covered litter box will help.

also if you free feed the dog don't let the cat eat dog food. lacks vital nutrients and cat will get very sick.

feed cat best quality wet food you can afford.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,590 times
I have the same issue with my dogs. They love to get into the litterbox and do it every chance they get. It's not really harmful for the dog to eat the cat poop as long as the cat is healthy but chances are good that the dog will eat some kitty litter with it and that can cause serious harm. It could get stuck in his intestines causing a blockage which could be fatal and costs a lot of money to treat. For this reason it's really important to keep the dog out of the litterbox.
I have solved the problem by having a baby gate in the door to the room where the litterboxes are. The cats can easily jump over the gate but the dogs can't. I use a pressure mounted gate that I can easily take down if needed. Petco, and I think Walmart too, carries an extra tall gate which is good if your dog is a jumper.
You could also put the litterbox off the ground like on a table that your dog can't get up on. Another thing you can do is to get a top loaded litterbox. It's a covered litterbox with the opening on top of it which makes it harder for your dog to get to any poop. The drawback with these litterboxes is that some cats just don't like them and won't use them. It's worth a shot though if you don't want to get a baby gate. Getting a gate is the easiest solution, imo.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
also if you free feed the dog don't let the cat eat dog food. lacks vital nutrients and cat will get very sick.
Dog food is of course not good as a main source of food for a cat but it won't make a cat sick to eat it. There is nothing in dog food that would make a cat sick. My cats frequently grab a few kibbles from the dog's bowl and none have ever got sick. My dogs have also helped themselves to cat food and do just fine

Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Congratulations on your first cat! Baby gate that the cat can jump over but the dog can't, OR elevate the litter box so the dog can't get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Dog food is of course not good as a main source of food for a cat but it won't make a cat sick to eat it. There is nothing in dog food that would make a cat sick. My cats frequently grab a few kibbles from the dog's bowl and none have ever got sick. My dogs have also helped themselves to cat food and do just fine
Dog food does not contain adequate nutrients for cats. If your cats are filling up on dog food they will not eat enough of their own food to get the correct amount of things like protein and taurine they need. Not to mention moisture. In the long term, negative effects will be seen.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Dog food does not contain adequate nutrients for cats. If your cats are filling up on dog food they will not eat enough of their own food to get the correct amount of things like protein and taurine they need. Not to mention moisture. In the long term, negative effects will be seen.
This is what I meant when I said "It will make the cat sick."

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
All my dogs did that. I bought a "CleverCat" litter box which solved the problem. The cats used it without hesitation or problems right away.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM

200 posts, read 979,347 times
Build a box around the litterbox off the ground.

But I would definitely deworm the dog since you just got the cat. You need to keep up with the deworming if the cat roams outside too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs