Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,895,079 times

Advertisements

im sorry the time came but i wanted to thank you for TRYING! most people would have given up the first time and this dog deifnatly needed the chance and the check over...
this dog sounds like he had some major gentic misprogramming going on.
if you havent already PLEASE get intouch with the breeder, this breeder needs to know theres something VERY serious going on in their lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,629,919 times
Not sure what OP decided but I will just put my story in. My shar-pei Buddha had behavioral issues, the vet told us to "never bring that dog back" and that we should put her down.

We worked with her for a year. She has anxiety and we bought some valerian from Dr Foster/Smith online vet pharmacy. It helped. Whoever the dog is closest to, sometimes they will maybe be able to help.
Very sorry to hear the situation.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,573,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Rest in peace Enli.
I am so sorry for the pain and suffering this circumstance put before you and all those involved in it -- especially Enli. When one brings anyone into their home the arrival is always accompanied with hope -- and fear (though hope is the dominant one).

Please know in your hearts that you gave your young mastiff the best he could have had, and though his life was short, you made it as happy as it could be for him. Breathe deep, let the sorrow was over and away, and be replaced with knowing you found a deep source of love within you that filled you and overflowed into a dark and fearful heart.

Putting it to rest to escape the pain that anxiety brings was the kindest thing you could do.

Let your love continue to flow, and when the next arrival comes to your family, allow Hope to remain the dominant one.

Peace be with you and yours. You've stood the test and showed you loved.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 AM

30,369 posts, read 23,836,139 times
The only thing I will say to this is OP, I thank you for making the effort, that you tried things instead of just leaping to putting him down like others would have you do.

You tried something.

And yah, I'll just leave it at that.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,170,562 times
I am so sorry that you had to make this decision, but you did everything that you could. I agree that you tried more things to help your pet then most people would. Even with all of the help it sounds like he would not have been a happy and comfortable dog. Rest in peace.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,834,006 times
So sorry about Enli... you did right by him.

Last edited by steelstress; 06-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Changed to reflect the update.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 759 times
My 3 year old English Mastiff was neutered yesterday. Today he is up and playing like normal. He has always been so good with the kids. They climb all over him and love on him constantly. That said, my daughter and I went outside to check on him. She bent over to pet him and talk to him like always. He jumped up and gnarled pretty loud at her. She is heart broken since he is actually hers. I just need any thoughts on why he might have done this.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,795,287 times
In my experience with dogs, this is a sign that your dog is still healing from his surgery and letting you and your daughter know that he needs down time. He should be given a week or two to recover and be left alone unless he comes to you wanting to be petted. Explain this to your children to let him be for a week until he's back to his old self.

More than likely your dog was protecting himself from any more pain and telling you that by his action of snarling. Think of it this way. You've had a bad day or you're feeling sick. Maybe you get grouchy or moody and short with those you love. Well since a dog can't speak like we humans can, they use their mouths to speak for them. Sometimes they use their mouths in play (watch puppies) and other times as defense or as a warning mechanism to humans or other animals.

If after the dog has time to heal and there are no other physical health reasons for the dog to be snarling, then I would be concerned and look into training for your dog.

Best wishes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie.skelton View Post
My 3 year old English Mastiff was neutered yesterday. Today he is up and playing like normal. He has always been so good with the kids. They climb all over him and love on him constantly. That said, my daughter and I went outside to check on him. She bent over to pet him and talk to him like always. He jumped up and gnarled pretty loud at her. She is heart broken since he is actually hers. I just need any thoughts on why he might have done this.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 AM

239 posts, read 618,846 times
Were they both petting the same spot? If so, he may be sore there. For example ears, neck, etc.

Also if they were in his peripheral vision area, if he is having probs with eyesight that may have been the cause.

Good luck, hope you can find the reason and solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs