Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:25 AM

389 posts, read 3,539,454 times

Advertisements

A little background first. I have been working very long days for almost 2 years now, and neither of my dogs has ever had a problem with holding their bladder while I am gone. That being said...I came home from work on Wednesday (2 hours early) and found that my dogs had urinated ALL OVER! My first thoughts were that someone was getting a UTI or something. Then I see that they drank all of their water (they never do this while I am gone because they seem to know that they cannot get out to pee until I get home). So now I really don't know what happened to make them drink so much and my mind is racing (I think working for a vet makes you a bit of a hypochondriac about your pets) So, I get them outside and clean up the pee in the dining room. Then I go to one of the spare bedrooms and there is pee on the carpet in there, so I drag out the carpet cleaner and silently curse my husband for having left the door open. I then go into our bedroom and there is....something on the carpet in there too! It is a pink spot, so now I am thinking about blood in their urine and am getting even more worried and confused about what happened here. I start cleaning with the carpet cleaner and see that as I rub over the pink spot, it spreads, but it turns green around the edges! I am totally baffled and freaking out, but both dogs seem to be feeling fine, so I decide to just keep an eye on them for the night and take them to work in the morning. Thursday morning I catch both of their first urines and take it all along with us to work. We run the urine, the dogs are looked at and NOTHING!! How can that be? I was so worried and frustrated, but again, they both appear to be feeling fine. So when we got home that night, I was giving them both bathes outside and while we were out there, my younger guy poops a very interesting shade of green (gross, I know, but it is a good clue to me as to where to look for answers) this green is much like the green color that is now permanently on my carpet (and though there was no poop on the carpet, I can assume it came from the same dog and that he got into something). So I go back into the previously mentioned spare bedroom. My husband keeps all of his hobby stuff in there which really freaked me out at first because he flies remote controlled stuff and has all kinds of fuel, glues, whatever in that room which is why the door is supposed to be closed. So I go in the room determined to figure this all out and am about to sit down for a good long look around when I look into the open closet, and it hits me.....Paintballs! They ate paintballs! After their little snack, they drank all of their water to wash the stuff out of their mouths and then couldn't hold all that water in until I get home! Thank God they are non-toxic or I don't want to even think about what would have happened. Had Honu not pooped out that crazy color, I probably never would have figured out what happened.

Sorry this is so long, but I just had to share this with everyone because it really had me ripping my hair out for 2 days, and I am sure someone out their can relate. I remember reading a post on here about a dog who ate a bullet, and thinking how that could totally happen here because my dogs pick up anything to carry around and sometimes eat wierd stuff if they have access for even a second! Thanks for letting me share my crazy frustration.

Moral of the story, keep the paintballs on a shelf where the 4 legged monsters can't reach them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 09:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
That's hillarious! Our dogs do these things to keep our minds young by solving puzzles!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:59 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,103 times
Wow! You are lucky I read a story recently of a dog who ate paintballs and got very sick. Glad your pooches are ok

Just something to think about, the legal definition of "non-toxic" only means that it hasn't been proven to be toxic, NOT that the product isn't poisonous. Just that no studies have been done to say it is poisonous. *sigh* The things you learn working in product safety.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:32 AM

Yeah...I am still keeping a close eye on them, but so far, they are fine and acting normal, so hopefully if something was going to happen, it would have already. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:57 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,503 times
As soon as you said that his poop was green I was thinking it could be something like paint balls! lol! My husband use to get together with his friends once a month or so and go play paint ball. They would get all into it too! lol! They would wear the camo and all of the protective stuff and they would split up into teams and play for hours! So, my husband has pink and orange paint balls and all of his paint ball stuff is also in our spare bedroom. Anyway, one day, before we got Destiny and Jayda, Brooklyn ended up getting into my husbands pink paint balls and he had nice hot pink poop after that! lol! He never got sick from it though, so your pups might not have any problems from it. Now our whole house is doggy proofed, all of the doors stay closed all of the time, if we leave the house the dogs go in their crates, etc.

Anyway, I hope your pups are okay! Good luck!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,166 times
This is funny.Although, I hope your puppies are ok!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 03:58 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,285 times
Whew! Glad they're OK, Turtle. The Rascals. :>)
Thanks for sharing the story! I was thinking yesterday's crabgrass LOL

Old 09-22-2007, 05:36 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
I had a friend of mine that had something similar happen. His dog was sick and throwing up a lot. They brought him to the vet, and the vet took an x-ray. He was just "backed up". So they gave the dog an enema and he seemed fine. About two or three days later he took the dog into the backyard and when it squatted to go #2 he went but there was something long hanging from his rear. My friend went over and this thing was like 2 feet long and he couldn't catch up with the dog to get it out. The dog was running around the yard with this long thing hanging from his butt (sorry if I'm grossing you out) But in the end, it was a stocking that the dog had eaten out of the trash. It stopped him up for a little while, and then we he passed it everything was good.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Oh, we've been there too! He didn't get sick, but my little one ate one of my husbands grandmothers knee highs! He threw it back up! It was totally horrifying because it was long and full of whatever else was in his stomach at the time, and it seemed like he would choke trying to throw it up, but he was fine. That was in the puppy stages, and we haven't had another incident since until this week

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM

105 posts, read 400,632 times
Our st bernard was diagnosed with an adrenal condition 2 years ago and had to be put on prednisone....when the doc first gave us what her dose should be we just trusted he knew what he was doing as far as dosing recommendations. For her weight and condition she was on like 45 mg of pred a day....after many months of playing with dosing and realizing the vet had not treated a dog with her rare condition before she is now down to .75 mg of pred a day. WELLLLL.....long story short the prednisone made her drink alot and eat anything...she was ravenous. I woke up one morning and we went outside to go potty and i looked at her cause she was squatting funny.....and noticed something black hanging from her butt. I grabbed a plastic bag and grabbed it and slowly pulled out a pair of my thong underwear
I was so very glad i didnt wear regular panties cause the thong was such a smaller amount of fabric that it passed right through her but a larger regular pair could easily have blocked her colon.

Paintballs...thats pretty funny too....i wish i could have seen your face when you realized what it was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs