Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,851 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping someone with a similar kind of dog might have tried the H style harness. Our dog has a lot of fur but only on her chest and neck. It adds almost 2 inches of fur that's very fluffy, and it pushes out the soft vested harnesses. We tried one of those comfy vest harnesses and her belly kept pushing the strap right behind her legs which makesthe vest part of it slide up and become very loose. The one belly strap doesn't hold it in place. We came home and found she had twisted 1/2 out of it with one leg and almost fell going down steps.

Her furbib makes it difficult to keep the comfy style tight enough so I was thinking the traditional H style kind might work. She doesn't pull forward often but will get stubborn and need to be tugged sideways or forward if she finds something interesting. We tried this one, an anti-pull one that also kept getting loose and the gentle leader (which might have worked if everyone had been consistent). It's getting expensive to find something that works.

Couldn't get picture but this describes what I'm looking for

The H-Style Harness is a great, basic harness for our little dogs. Made of natural Latigo Leather , there's just a strap in front of the chest and two straps on the back, with the D-ring for the leash at the back. Just slip the harness over your little dog's head, slip the strap around the chest and attach with the buckle. Most of the leash pressure is distributed across your dog's back.

I found a great one, but only for small dogs and I'm not sure it would work which is why I' hoping someone here might use one on their fur bib dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times
I use comfort step-in style harnesses for my dogs...none of which have thick neck/chest hair...but they do work well on all breeds no matter how thick the coat.

Petco Easy Step-In Red Comfort Harness for Dogs at PETCO

I read your post a little better and I think this is more what you're asking for. This harness fits up to a 90 lb. dog with a 48" girth. It looks comfortable and sturdy and under $45 By the way, what breed is your dog?

ABO Gear Aussie Naturals Dog Harness at PETCO

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM

449 posts, read 1,698,851 times
ZSP,

Thanks for the suggestion. The ABO gear one looks very sturdy but is a little more than what I need.
I found a picture

H-Style Harness for Small Dogs from Golly Gear You can't see here - it buckles under the belly.

My dog is a Nova Scotian Retriever, I couldn't figure out how to post her picture. Pretty close to this one.

Breeze the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever | Dogs | Daily Puppy

I went out and got her a regular collar until I can get the H style one. Which is kind of like the step in ones except not so close to her legs.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
We bought a mesh harness for our new husky - the kind you see on "As Seen on TV" ads... we, and she, love it! Petsmart carried a similar one, but it was $25, compared to the $10 we paid for the "AST" one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs