Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 10:25 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times

Advertisements

My dog shakes her body so hard that she makes pretty loud noises. It sounds like clapping, or like someone smacking someone.
She does this often. Is there a meaning to the shake?
Sometimes I wonder if her brains are smacking against her skull the noise is so loud!

It's not that she is trying to shake off water, because she does it even when dry. She consistently does it when she gets wet, or walking in wind, but does it other times as well. Has nothing to do with hair or fur, since she doesn't have any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:34 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Perhaps hairless dogs shake more, since they will feel more stuff on their skin. Dogs shake to "clean" themselves, and their ears will sometimes make a racket. If it's not a hairless dog thing, have a vet check your dog for fleas or mites or even dry skin can irritate a dog to where they'll shake off.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,815 times
Is she a breed that has longish drooping ears? If so she may have an ear infection or a simple fungus irritating her ears. If so, a trip to the vet might be in order. Fungus is pretty common among long eared dogs. the ears get wet and don't completely dry, thus fungus grows. Fungus can be a big source of itching for dogs hence the head shaking.

As an aside, if your vet identifies the problem as fungus he will sell you a pretty expensive cream and ear wash to cure the problem, use it to cure the initial problem and then do routine follow up preventive care with common over the counter ear wash solutions from the drug store. For fungus treatment you might want to try Monostat 7, also an over the counter inexpensive anti-fungus medicine.
(I have had Labs as my gun dogs for 20+ years and I've had a lot of experience with fungus in dog's ears)

Old 06-16-2012, 10:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Artie does this when he gets wet (like you said) but also every time he gets up from sleep. It's like he's shaking himself awake, complete with lip flapping and ear flopping.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie does this when he gets wet (like you said) but also every time he gets up from sleep. It's like he's shaking himself awake, complete with lip flapping and ear flopping.
Yes - also consistent when she wakes up.

Her ears aren't long & floppy, so I doubt that's it.

Maybe it is the hairless thing - she feels more than other dogs do.

But that noise - SO LOUD it's scary!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Ha! Artie just did it and he didn't even just wake up. It was just a random "OK! I'm here!" shake.

I didn't mean to imply that it was ear-related when I mentioned the ear flapping -- it's just that Artie's ears flap when he does it.

It IS loud, though. It's like all the bones shake loose and then find their places again.

Oh, another time that Artie does it is when he's playing with his friends. After they have a "I'm bigger, badder, and better than you!" rough-and-tumble, all the dogs do it. It's like they're shaking off the pretend animosity and clearing their heads. Super-cute.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,635 times
My Shih-Tzu does this about 10 times a day sometimes. I lost count today. I didn't think much about it until someone else saw her do it and asked..."What was that?" Then I started counting the times she did it. I wonder if it is some sort of nervous habit because she seems to be doing it more and more frequently.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
Hello Shirley, you stated "My Shih-Tzu does this about 10 times a day sometimes. I lost count today. I didn't think much about it until someone else saw her do it and asked..."What was that?" Then I started counting the times she did it. I wonder if it is some sort of nervous habit because she seems to be doing it more and more frequently."

My Shih-Tzu is also doing this a lot. Did you find out why this occurs?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetAnswers View Post
Hello Shirley, you stated "My Shih-Tzu does this about 10 times a day sometimes. I lost count today. I didn't think much about it until someone else saw her do it and asked..."What was that?" Then I started counting the times she did it. I wonder if it is some sort of nervous habit because she seems to be doing it more and more frequently."

My Shih-Tzu is also doing this a lot. Did you find out why this occurs?
it might me a seizure. Take her to the vet.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:21 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Our labs would both shake off after coming out of a car wash..........they thought they were wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs