Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM

50 posts, read 227,688 times

Advertisements

As others have mentioned before, avoid grapes and raisins since they are definitely toxic. Avocado seems to be mixed. The ASPCA maintains that the avocado is toxic to animals like horses and rabbits, but admits that there is little evidence outside one incident of avocado being toxic to dogs. Still it advises to avoid feeding avocado to dogs just to be safe.
ASPCA - Virtual Pet Behaviorist - Foods That Are Hazardous to Dogs

However, there are a lot of people who swear by avocado for their dogs, and there is even an avocado based dog food on the market (Avoderm). Personally, I never had a problem giving my dog an occasional bite or two, but do whatever you feel comfortable with. A smaller dog might not tolerate it so well. If you do decide to give your dog avocado, give a small sample and keep a watchful eye for any adverse reactions. If your dog seems even the least bit affected by it, stop feeding avocado immediately.

As for good fruits for dogs, there are a lot to choose from: apples and peaches (again, as someone mentioned earlier, avoid seeds since they contain cyanide), bananas, melons, a lot of berries. My own dog doesn't particularly like most fruits, but after a bit of experimenting I found that she loves blueberries and mango.

Be aware that while fruits are fairly healthy snacks, they are still high in sugar and fiber. Feed sparingly or not at all if your dog is diabetic. Fruits in moderation are okay for healthier dogs, but again too much sugar can lead to weight gain if your dog isn't active enough. Even if your dog is an athlete, all the fiber in all those fruits and veggies can lead to bigger loads and more frequent bathroom breaks if they eat too much. Though that last bit is more of an inconvenience than an actual health concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 602 times
Of course dogs can eat fruit, and most of them are actually pretty good for them as well.

The general rule, though, dogs can only eat a little bit of fruit in one sitting as eating a lot fruit can give them the runs.

Source:
http://aboutdoggies.net/can-dogs-eat-apples/

Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,130 times
My dogs plow through my blueberry and blackberry bushes like a heard of cattle. I can't grow a strawberry patch. The dogs always get to the berries first. We finally had to fence the garden. They think tomatoes, cucumbers and melons are fun to play with.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:06 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
I have always shared a small chunk or two of watermelon, cantaloupe or apple as well as yummy blueberries or a slice or two of banana. My pups have always enjoyed whatever fruits I am eating and it is a nice treat for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs