Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

At two pounds, Yoda once looked so mangy that her owner mistook her for a rat. She's come not such a long way since, last night winning the dubious title of World's Ugliest Dog at a Northern California Fair. Yoda is a 14-year-old Chinese Crested—a homely breed that's nabbed three of the last four titles—combined with a Chihuahua. Owner Terry Schumacher found her abandoned behind an apartment building, reports the AP, and indeed thought she was a rodent. Winners of the prize take home $1,000.

Meet the World's Ugliest Dog - She's a Chinese Crested mix named Yoda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
oh my goodness poor girl, im glad shes found someone to love her.
people dont relaize that most of the chinese crested winners that take home the title come from ABUSE and NEGLECT backgrounds...as a breed as they age they tend to have issues with their teeth (its linked to the hairless gene) and the breed when not bred properly is prone to blidnness, add that to the NEED for skincare and youve got a breed thatif not prperly cared for in their lifetimes can become rather...homely, as seniors...

however....look after these ogs properly and even in their old age they can be absolutly adorable in the little old man kind of way.

I have cresties...and when i say chinese crested people always think "ugly dog contest..."
but personally i see nothing UGLY about this

(my female powderpuff in a pony cut, Ruby. she will be 6 in february!)

or this

(my hairless Chinese Crested Male Jasper!)

and i see nothing ugly about that little lady either, shes showing her age obviously, she looks blind and shes obviously missing her teeth, but someone loves her and what more does a 14 yr old dog realy need in life?!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Yup, she's not the prettiest dog in the world but I see beauty in her anyway. I can't help it -- every living being is beautiful in some way in my eyes. Well, maybe not Steve Buscemi but he's probably really nice.

Foxy: Your pups are GORGEOUS!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,788 times
That is certainly not the most beautiful animal on the planet, but I wouldn't call it ugly.

(Not meaning foxywench's 2 - those are handsome dogs!)

Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
My current co-worker has a crested (and an Afghan!) and she's adorable. I agree that the "ugly" dogs are usually badly bred cresteds or old/blind, etc. I think it's pretty mean to select "ugliest."

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
Actually I like the hairless type, I've only seen them once in person, very interesting.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM

threr definatly a "special" breed, but im pretty sure there actually from another planet!

i deaifntly see a huge connection between chinese crested and afghans...while they are officially a member of the toy group (and the rbeeds TRUE history is VERY VERY clouded...) its currently speculated the breed actually has its roots in primitive african breeds (a sort of cross between sighthound and terrier to make an all around small FAST agile hunter) the chinese found use for these agile hairless hunters on their ships where they decimated the rat populations and unlike cats had no fur for fleas to hide in also helping control plauge and other flea borne illnesses) hence becomming known as Chinese crested dogs...

But its all specualtion, noone realy knows prescisly where or how this breed developed/evolved...
we do know that the stripper gypsy rose lee is credited with making the breed as we know it now popular here in the US.

you can definatly see the sighthound in them when there kept in condition in some bloodlines...(some bloodlines have the racey type, other bloodlines are more "terrier" in look being thicker overall in build) but in the "racey" type like mine, you get them on an open feild (mine LOVE to lure course) and you definatly see that sighthound in them, they run full tilt full extension and look like they are flying, they can tur on a dime thanks to the sighthound related Hare foot (longer more agile toes that make gripping much easier, it also makes them capable of climbing trees...ask me how i know this LOL!) i think there also part monkey!

i could go on about cresties all day...im addicted to them and would never be without one...

Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM

Would this breed fit into a household of middle-aged, somewhat sedentary folks, or do they need a great deal of activity? I like the looks of them, particularly the not completely hairless ones.

Your Ruby appears to have quite an attitude.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM

i would say absolutly YES.
this is a very adatable breed, they bond VERY strongly with their people and need to be neer you (they can be prone to seperation anxiety)
like all dogs they need excersize but unlike more high enery breeds a simple daily walk and a run around the yard is enough if thats all you have time for...
there the kind of breed that can spend its weeks dozing on the couch, playing fetch in the livingroom and lazing in the sunshine and then go for a 6 mile hike on the weeked if you wanted to...they LOVE to run, but like sighthounds..there sprinters so they dont tend to need alot of excersize overall...
id say a fenced yard is a must, they tend to be visually driven and will often chase small animals, but being visually driven wont usually challenge anything over a 3 ft fence (though both of mine can clear a 4 ft jump they never challenge the fence...) a fenced yard also means when they do get the need to just run...you can let them out and just let them zoom around like its a racetrack!... a few mins of that though and there ready to keep your spot on the couch warm again LOL.

the only real downside to the breed is the grooming requirments...the hairless cresties are prone to skin issues, they get blocked pours and black heads and WILL get sunburn if left to thier own devises (they are sun worshipers) they require a bath about once a week with a good skin cleaner (i use aveno baby for my male) and sometimes a little pour clensing (just like humans sometimes need a little skin upkeep) otherwise gromming on the hiarless is minimal...
once a week jasper gets a bath hes dry within 5 mins...

on the powderpuff they actually naturally have long silky flowing coats that require regular brushing, however you can keep them in a puppy cut, or like ruby in a pony cut...she gets a bath ever 4 weeks )More only if needed) and at that time i run the clippers over her...i find keeping her trimmed is easier than waiting 8 weeks and having more work to do lol.
comb out the feathering every few days and tada...

the breed does have fast growing nails and naturally long quicks so i tend to give them a quick dremmel t the nails once a week to keep them tidy...(again prefer a quick maintence once a week to big jobs ever month ect...)
and watch the teeth...powderpuffs though tend to have great teeth...the hairless tend to loose them early due to the gene linkage.

they are bright little dogs, LOVE to learn but more so LOVE to love.
the only homes i dont see this breed fitting into would be a busy home where people arnt home much (or arnt willing to spend time/attention on the dog) they NEED interaction...
and homes with small "grabby" children as they are a small breed...

there great ratters too...the cats tend to keep the mice out of the house...but once in a while one gets in...it doesnt live long lol.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Hmm...hubby is home a lot although I'm not. No fence, but I could run about with the dog for 20 min per day or so (plus a couple of walks) and I could handle the grooming, if the dog had a puppy cut. Now to convince hubby that our new house needs a dog!

Thanks for the helpful information regarding the breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs