Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM

200 posts, read 565,341 times

Advertisements

I live in a very hot and humid area (in Mississippi). The highs have been averaging 90+ for the past couple months and generally average higher during July and August. I also live 18 miles from a "safe running area" (I live on a very narrow and bad country road where a runner has been hit and killed). Well, two weeks ago I started a new job in a office. So it is not as practical to drive to town and run in the morning , then drive home to shower and then drive back to town to work. But I am scared to run after work with my dog because the average high is in the nineties around 5-6pm. Does anyone else run with their dog in extreme temperatures? What would you advice? I don't want to hurt my dog, but I also like to get him and me exercise! How much heat and what distance is safe? We haven't ran in a couple weeks because I don't know the right answer!

(Running at dusk isn't a good option because I cook dinner for my husband and I, and we like to go to bed at 9:30 since he is up at 5. I also don't crock pot because I stress out leaving something plug in and alone for 12 hours during the day. Husband can't cook because he works 6am to 7pm during crop season)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 05:29 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I would be careful make sure you stop & give him drinks. You didnt say what kind of coat he has?? You also need to conside If it shady where you run IS the Blacktop hot going to burn his feet??

Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I would be careful make sure you stop & give him drinks. You didnt say what kind of coat he has?? You also need to conside If it shady where you run IS the Blacktop hot going to burn his feet??
Right, I did forget that and it very important because he is a beautiful long haired German shepherd . Which is why I stress more! He is 2 1/2 and is a runt at 78 lbs.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
he doesnt NEED to be running in this heat, take him for a walk in the evenings after dinner, doesnt have to be long...
concrete and pavement and a thick coated breed, id say no FORCED excersize in any temsp over 84 degrees.

even my highest energy dog (70lb 7mth old PUPPY) looks at me like im crazy right now whe i ask him if he wants to go out...and when i let him out he pees and then he sprawls himself flat out on the shaded carport panting...nope, not happening...and hes a short coated breed.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 PM

I had a gf that ran with her collies! She strip clipped them in summer & soaked them with hose before & after runs in summer! Not sure how long the run was... Mabe a running will sooon give you some information!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Thank you so much for the input. I promise I want what is best for my dog! Soaking him before and after is a great idea to try, he LOVES playing with the hose! Maybe we will try a mile or two and I will see how he does. He is usually in front of me on our runs. If he starts to pace with me or worse lags behind than I will know that it isn't healthy.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,735 times
Default Tooo hot!

Sorry, but in that heat it would be crazy to run your dog. Once a dog is showing signs of heat exhaustion, it may already be too late. To run a dog in that heat to me is abusive. Whether they are clipped or not. Run alone and let the dog rest, unless you can go at dusk when the temps have dropped. Hosing the dog down may cool him a bit, but not for a mile or more. If you love him, you'll leave him home. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but dogs can't sweat as we do. Therefore they overheat faster.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
im 100% with bluw,
also keep in mind that dog fur is INSULATIVE that means keeps them warm in summer and helps keep them cool in summer...by clipping a dog thats not used to it down you can actually INCREASE heat problems...

Soaking an animal to cool them down works on the premis of evaporation, the water molecusles help cool as they evapourate, this is how misting systems and swamp coolers work...however in HIGH HUMIDITY areas this method is MUCHMUCH MUCH less effective!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM

I think it depends on the dog & what hes use to & the owner Reading her dog. OP already said she slow down If he runs with her instead of ahead of her & Stop if he lags. So I sure she will know whats best! Personally I cant breath in humid enviroments so walking or even running would knock me out lol We had a heat wave 100 heat index & Very Humid. I couldnt stand it BUT LadyBug went out and did her usual 45 mins of running! While Katie Refused to leave the A/C!! YES LadyBug had a choice! A/C being inside or outside she was on a 50 ft rope that went to the woods or could go into the apt to the patio doors! I was sitting in the doorway a/c at my back with door wide open!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluw View Post
Sorry, but in that heat it would be crazy to run your dog. Once a dog is showing signs of heat exhaustion, it may already be too late. To run a dog in that heat to me is abusive. Whether they are clipped or not. Run alone and let the dog rest, unless you can go at dusk when the temps have dropped. Hosing the dog down may cool him a bit, but not for a mile or more. If you love him, you'll leave him home. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but dogs can't sweat as we do. Therefore they overheat faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im 100% with bluw,
also keep in mind that dog fur is INSULATIVE that means keeps them warm in summer and helps keep them cool in summer...by clipping a dog thats not used to it down you can actually INCREASE heat problems...

Soaking an animal to cool them down works on the premis of evaporation, the water molecusles help cool as they evapourate, this is how misting systems and swamp coolers work...however in HIGH HUMIDITY areas this method is MUCHMUCH MUCH less effective!
I'm with them. Artie, a medium-haired whirling dervish, can be out in the back yard for 20 minutes, just lying there in the heat doing nothing to exert himself, panting like a fiend from the heat. I have to lure him in because he wants more "fresh" air (since when is humidity fresh??) but then, when he comes inside, he flops himself on the cool tile floor and conks out. HE'S HOT! And he was just lying in the heat, not running.

I wouldn't run your dog if I were you. As bluw said, when your dog shows signs that it's too hot for him, it may already be too late -- dogs are so stoic and don't show that they're uncomfortable or in pain unless it's REALLY bad -- and I'm sure that you wouldn't want to regret anything. If there's a doubt, then it's likely because it's not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs