Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times

Advertisements

When my car is idle and the AC is running, it doesn't cool my car off. In fact that has been the case with every car I've ever owned. The interior starts to heat up pretty quick even with it on.

Anyway, I have called 911 about dogs in hot cars before. Once several employees came out and we all stood around helplessly while two dogs lay on the floor of the car panting heavily. All the windows were closed, but the sun/moon roof was open, and the hot sun was shining unmercifully on the dogs. Finally the owner came out and was furious with everyone because she said she'd left the sun roof open which was more than sufficient in keeping the car cool. Sometimes dog owners are just ignorant boobs. Even some parents are brainless for leaving kids in hot cars. People like that should be made to sit in the car themselves for an hour or so to test their theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

It could have been had I been in Chicago. I probably would have been busy eating Italian beef, oblivious to the world, though.

I dunno about the AC running thing - I think I've heard of cars stopping and AC going off.

I think that since the cop was ready to whack your window there was probably just cause....better to leave the pupster home.
This actually happened in Pittsburgh, and no there wasn't just cause unless you consider "not being very observant" to be just cause, and it's nobody's business if I bring my pups with me when I'm traveling or just milling around town -- in fact the reason they were with me is because we were returning from a dog park.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This actually happened in Pittsburgh, and no there wasn't just cause, and it's nobody's business if I bring my pups with me when I'm milling around town -- in fact the reason they were with me is because we were returning from a dog park.
It's somebody's business if the dog is at risk because of your actions. Sometimes the dog has to be brought home and then the owner has to go out again without them. Might cost a bit more in gas, but you still have a pet; seems worth it to me.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
It's somebody's business if the dog is at risk because of your actions.
They weren't. That's why the whole encounter was so memorably irritating.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Lost, I think the assumption here is that the heat index is beyond ridiculous and death or heatstroke is imminent. No, I'm not wasting time getting water and documenting. If I get in a lot of trouble, so be it - somehow I think the dog owners would rally on my behalf. If not, I'm on my own...but I'd rather do right than stand by or turn my head. I'll call the police - if they get there, fine - if not, oh well. If I have to pay for a window because I boo-booed, well then that's what I do.

Someone else would be happy to smash that window and grab the dog for unsavory purposes on even a cool day. That's why my dogs are never unattended. The world is a crazy place....but when it comes to animals, I'm just as nutty as the next head case.
That's your decision, but if I was an owner that had to run in for an emergency for a secone, you would be paying for the window and endangering my dog by letting him out (what if he ran away and got run over). It's not a black and white issue that some people think.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Going forward when I had to leave the dogs in my car for a bit I put a sign in my window that said "CAR IS RUNNING, A/C IS ON, DOGS ARE FINE, DO NOT SMASH WINDOW"
I leave mine in the truck with it running with the A/C on also.
(it does cool my vehicles when idling with the A/C on)

I like the sign but I thought of putting a thermometer in the window so they can see how cool it really is inside.

yes, some do deserve to have their window smashed while others don't

Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
That's your decision, but if I was an owner that had to run in for an emergency for a secone, you would be paying for the window and endangering my dog by letting him out (what if he ran away and got run over). It's not a black and white issue that some people think.
It's not a black or white issue but common sense should prevail on the part of the owner. Some areas of the country leave dogs at higher risk than others. Take, say, Houston for example (bold mine):

HOT CARS/HEATSTROKE: Always leave your pet at home and NEVER leave a pet in a parked car. The temperature inside a car, even with the windows cracked and parked in the shade, can reach 120 degrees in a matter of minutes. If the air becomes too warm, a dog’s body temperature, normally 100.5 to 102.5 degrees, will continue to rise. If it exceeds 106 degrees, heatstroke could result, causing seizures, organ damage and even death. Signs of heatstroke include (but are not limited to): excessive body temperature, excessive panting, dark or bright red tongue and gums, staggering, stupor, seizures, bloody diarrhea or vomiting, and coma. If you suspect heatstroke in your pet, seek veterinary attention immediately!

Houston SPCA: Summer Pet Safety Tips

Old 06-29-2012, 09:04 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
The thermometer is actually a good idea, but there might need to be one on both sides! If I saw a dog in distress, I would definitely smash the window after calling cops (cya). If they seemed to be OK I'd just watch them until owner got back, or until things seemed to be heating up.
I wouldn't leave my dogs for longer than a potty break, but I have done that on a couple of occasions. I hurried and I didn't stop for anything going in or out. I parked in shade when possible and blasted the air conditioning for a few minutes before stopping to get the car extra cool. I'd hope that someone would wait the 5 minutes before deciding the dogs needed rescue. In the very unlikely event that I collapsed or got mugged or something, then I'd hope someone would intervene. Now I have a dog barrier in the back of my SUV, so if I needed to stop I could leave the car running without worrying about them knocking the gear shift into reverse.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Calling the police is futile, except to document that you tried everything else. I'd go in the nearest store, get water and if the dog is still there, check for heat stroke signs and then only call the police to let them know you're going to break the window. Otherwise, you will get in alot of trouble. There are irresponsible owners that go do shopping and don't know how hot cars get, but it can be a very expensive assumption that any dog in a car is in danger.
In our area the police will come and break the window.

They go in the store once and ask about the car owners.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Quote:
It's not a black or white issue but common sense should prevail on the part of the owner. Some areas of the country leave dogs at higher risk than others. Take, say, Houston for example (bold mine):

HOT CARS/HEATSTROKE: Always leave your pet at home and NEVER leave a pet in a parked car. The temperature inside a car, even with the windows cracked and parked in the shade, can reach 120 degrees in a matter of minutes. If the air becomes too warm, a dog’s body temperature, normally 100.5 to 102.5 degrees, will continue to rise. If it exceeds 106 degrees, heatstroke could result, causing seizures, organ damage and even death. Signs of heatstroke include (but are not limited to): excessive body temperature, excessive panting, dark or bright red tongue and gums, staggering, stupor, seizures, bloody diarrhea or vomiting, and coma. If you suspect heatstroke in your pet, seek veterinary attention immediately!

Houston SPCA: Summer Pet Safety Tips
I will just say I am well aware of the potential in Houston and do not take him with me around town if I will have to leave him for any amount of time in the day. I understand the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs