Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

What is the Green Stuff Construction Workers Spray on Newly Developed Areas?

They sprayed this stuff around the apt buildings the other day! I NEED to know IF its Toxic to pets? IF it is...When will it be Safe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
It looks safe but I believe that you could get more information. Call your local Poison Control Center; it's usually in the section of the telephone directory with emergency services. These places have huge data bases; the people are generally very friendly and accomodating; and there is no charge. Give them a call and post what you find out.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
If its Hydroseed, its ground up newspapers, fertilizer and grass seed mixed with water and sprayed on an area to promote fast germination for the grass. The seeds have a favorable germination and growing medium that can hold water better than bare soil. The fertilizer isnl;t toxic to dogs unless they eat it or lick it off their body. Dogs (and people) should not be allowed on hyrdoseed areas because it disturbs the seed bed. The area should be fenced or roped off.

The other common green thing is the universal identification dye used in weed killer. Kts mixed in to enable the person putting it down to see where it is and alert everyone else where the weed killer was applied. Stay away until weeks after aplication. Some states have been changing to Red or Yellow as the dye so as not to confuse with other products.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I would immediately contact "they" and ask for the name and if possible, a MSDS (material safety data sheet) sheet. Even with the name of the product, you can likely google it and find a website or a phone number. Ask to speak with tech services.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 PM

Guess my dogs wont get outside for awhile.... Anyone know how long til its Safe?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
according to the article, its hydro seeding. Its usually safe after about 6 waterings ( 2 or 3 days) which transfers the fertilizer from the grinded up newspaper to the seed or soil. Unless your dog is actually eating the freshly applied newspaper, there is little danger. The dog presents a greater danger to the grass seed from distrubing it.

Now the picture doesn't match the article as hydroseeding looks more like a thin coatnig of green watery oatmeal sprayed on the ground. That pciture looks more like biomulching which is used to protect bare ground from water and traffic . Its used an awful lot for erosion control on slope surfaces or where a special soil mixed/ammended area need to be protected before planting later on, or maybe as a way to cover a ugly item like septic system etc until natural vegitation takes over.. It could just be a bad picture distorting the image, but maybe iots some frankinstein combo of bio-mulch and hydro-seed. Bio muckch is not harmful to animals as its just bio material (straw, grass, chaff, cane strands) mixed with a green dye and thats pretty much it. At times they will just til that intot he soil wheh they get readu to plant.

IF it is some bad and heavy application of weed killer (unlikey from the pictures) get the name of the product and check it aginast safety dta sheets to see how long under what conditions. But, the picture does not look anything like weed killing application.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 PM

No clue what they used ...The link was just something I found to let folks know what I am asking about in general. So Think Worse Case! No one is watering this But we did have quite a thunderstorm tonite so maybe we will have a few more! Tho to tell the truth I sick if Rain ugh!!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I had to carry my little beagle over the grass at the apartment I live in. They sprayed for weeds about once a week. She would breath it and not able to breath. Be very careful until your sure what it is as apartments do not always tell you what the gardeners are up to.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Earlier I went to the store for milk via Scooter! On the way back I saw 3 rabbits & 2 groundhogs nibbling in the middle of all the newly sprayed green. Sooo Maybe its not toxic??

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Earlier I went to the store for milk via Scooter! On the way back I saw 3 rabbits & 2 groundhogs nibbling in the middle of all the newly sprayed green. Sooo Maybe its not toxic??
Why? Do you think the rabbits know that's fertilizer (which is most definitely poisonous to animals) and not to graze there???
They're probably not going to drop dead on the spot.
I would definitely keep any pets you care about away from any lawn chemicals, sprays, granules or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs