Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:58 PM

13 posts, read 77,445 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I live in Jersey and I have a great love for animals, dogs mainly. I have 2 children who beg me for a puppy, so between the two of them and myself we decided on a cute little Yorkie. I have checked and serached every possible website, news paper to find one mainly adpot one. Please to my horror to learn there are no such thing anymore as adoption. All these website's that say Yorkie rescue, and give a pet a home all have outrageous fees that go along with them. Just to puchase one is just insane for up to $5,000
I can't believe this, people are making fortunes on these dogs.

Is there anyone left out there with a good decent caring heart. Who will be willing to put the well being of the animal first, besides looking for a money gain. If anyone wants to give away one of this little cute puppies, or knows anyone who does, i will glady take it and give them a great loving home. I live in New Jersey, but will gladly drive to pick one up. I hope some one out there can help me, I thought this website would be a great opportunity just to ask for help.

Thank you all in advance

Jerseygirl

Old 09-23-2006, 07:51 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,290 times
Jerseygirl -

May I suggest a different approach?

Why not fall in love with an animal that's AT the shelter rather than picking a breed and proceeding from there?

You'll be happier in the long run I'm guessing, and so will your new best friend!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:09 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,297 times
Yorkies in Florida go from 650.00 on up, average around 1000.00. I have a Yorkie mix that I got from the shelter, he was 6 months old and I wouldn't take anything for him. Going to the shelters is a great idea, it may take a while to find what you want but it will be worth it. It took me over a year. When people pay for a puppy or a dog, you know that the animal is not going to a laboratory. Yorkies are not recommended for small children.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Have you checked craigslist or freecycle?

Personally, I would be at the shelter. The adoption fee usually is less than $100 and will include shots and spay/neuter.

I also would not recommend a Yorkie for a home with children, they can be snappy.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:40 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
I agree, instead of looking for a free handout on a pure bred dog adopt a shelter dog or are you looking to get a papered dog with the intention of breeding so you can cash in! If someone is charging you $5000.00 for a yorkie it better be the either the #1-2 or 3 dog in the nation. The reason why rescue orgs. charge for their dogs is because most of them are there because of medical problems that their owners either won't or can't pay so they give them to rescue. I hope you don't expect them to bear the cost of medical attention. My lab has racked up over $8000.00 in vet bills in the last 8 years and thats the cost of owning a dog sometimes. Most rescue orgs. will never put a dog down, so a dog that can't be adopted will usually wind up finishing its life at the rescue center. This is not so for most shelter dogs!

Old 09-23-2006, 08:40 AM

20 posts, read 191,112 times
I agree with Chaz, there are plenty of cute mixed breed and occasionally a Yorkie at the shelters. You will have to pay a fee, but it's small considering what you'll get in return.
When you're dealing with a breed specific rescue, you're paying for the medical expenses incurred while they have the dogs. They usually have medical issues when they're turned over to the rescues, which is alot of time the reason they are turned over. The rescuers pay out of pocket or use donation money to pay these high bills. They provide dental cleanings, which Yorkies need often, vaccines and any other medical expenses. They are just trying to recoup their expenses. Good luck finding a free Yorkie puppy, it's not impossible but everybody and their grandmother is looking for a Yorkie.

I have 3 of these little guys, I love them to death but they are expensive to own.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:42 AM

20 posts, read 191,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Have you checked craigslist or freecycle?

Personally, I would be at the shelter. The adoption fee usually is less than $100 and will include shots and spay/neuter.

I also would not recommend a Yorkie for a home with children, they can be snappy.
Yes they can be snappy with small children.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:25 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I agree with what's been said above. Yorkies and most Terriers are not the best idea for a home with small and/or young children. Basically, the smaller the dog, the more high strung or nervous they can be, add a high strung child or two and it's an accident waiting to happen.

The top two that I'd suggest looking into if you must have a pure bred are Golden Retrievers or Pugs. Keep in mind each breed had its pros/cons. For example Pugs shed constantly, Yorkies are high maintenence and need either a grooming every 4-6 weeks or you must brush them daily to maintain a longer coat.

My best advice is to visit your local shelter, talk to the folks who know the critters and do not buy/adopt/rescue on impulse. Do research on what type your interested in

Old 09-23-2006, 09:47 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
The best dog I have ever had, and loves my kids, is from the humane society. She is our baby, a boxer mix, we adore her!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2006, 11:30 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Jerseygirl -

May I suggest a different approach?

Why not fall in love with an animal that's AT the shelter rather than picking a breed and proceeding from there?

You'll be happier in the long run I'm guessing, and so will your new best friend!

That's a great idea, I'd like to do that but I could never go myself, I can't bare to see those poor dogs there, I'd want to take them all home, I'd have to send my husband there for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs