Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

i am looking for one for my Husky who is getting bigger and stronger every week. What do you use if you use one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
We use a Halti or Gentle Leader. They control head movement, keeping the dog from pulling.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Train the Dog to Walk beside you with Manners!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I'm on another forum for husky owners, and it seems like there are two schools of thought.
Some prefer to use a harness to prevent the dog from choking itself with a collar. Many of them like the no pull harness, like this one. Amazon.com: SENSE-ation No-Pull Dog Harness - Large/Wide (Black): Pet Supplies
Others prefer not to use a harness because, even though it doesn't hurt like a collar, they do pull even more (they are a sled dog breed, after all )
Personally, I prefer to use a collar along with some proper leash training for walks. It's not exactly easy, but most huskies can be taught not to pull. I'm not a huge fan of the halters because if they do decide to pull (oooh, look a squirrel!!) there is a potential for neck injury.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
I like the Easy Walk front hook harness from Gentle Leader, but let me tell you about the recent product tests Whole Dog Journal published (October issue). They gave high marks for the Halti, Sensation harness, Sensible harness, and Freedom harness (which looks awesome to me! but they said some people find it too complex). Mixed reviews for the Walk Your Dog With Love harness, Easy Walk harness, and DT Universal No-Pull (which they said is a confusing harness to use but is effective for very large, hard pulling dogs). They gave low marks to the Petco brand harness.

Do be sure to choose a model of harness that attaches to the leash in FRONT, at the dog's chest, not at the dog's back / shoulder area. Many people are still using those head harnesses (Gentle Leader) but I truly feel those will be considered as inhumane as prong collars and choke chains within my lifetime. A dog's head is just not shaped for a head halter like a horse's head is.

Carry treats to keep your dog somewhat interested in you during your walks. But hey, let's face it Huskies were born to pull. I don't blame you for wanting a little help from a no-pull harness.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
No harness or solid collar.
Get a pinch collar and train your dog not to pull then you will not need a harness to attempt to control your dog after it acts out or pulls.

A pinch collar will not harm or choke your dog.

When training be consistent.
Never let negative behavior go with out correction.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 AM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
I got one like advertised on TV for our "large" pekingese (20 lbs.) I like it much better than a collar but I
don't know how well it would work on a really large dog.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I have read about pinch, prong, and choke collars and do not want them because everything I have read about them is that unless you really know what you are doing, there is a good chance of injury or making the dog scared of the collar that is why i want a no pull harness for now.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
A choke collar can not choke your dog the name comes from the action of the collar.

With a reg color or one with a fixed circumference it can damage your dogs throat. A choker grabs the whole mussel group. These mussels protect the throat and air way from damage.

When I take the pinch collar off of it's peg on the wall my dogs eagerly sit and wait for me to put it on them, all the while they are waging their tales in anticipation of their training session.

no training method should install fear as a tool, nor is fear used in our training methods.

It is a quick correction and you move on.
The quicker the dog gets it's training , the better for you and the dog.

The slow methods of correction is frustrating for you and your dog.
If you want your dog to be fearful,stubborn or just not to get it, drag out the training process.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
I use my dog's regular flat buckle collar, since he's trained to walked with me. My little one is on boot camp mode with a prong, after that he to will be on a regular collar. Both danes BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs