Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM

13,944 posts, read 39,483,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Well the lab tests were very thorough and Moose checks out negative. We (vet & I) discussed the possibility of obsessive water consumption and that is the path we will follow for the next few weeks. Ironically, he hasn't peed in the house since I posted the question. I don't deny him h2o, but the amount left for him when I leave the house is significantly less. Vet also thinks our heat wave isn't helping the situation - even suggested waiting a minute or so once inside so the AC calms him...then letting him drink.

Thanks everyone, for your input!
1st dont bring him in right away make sure hes calm for 5-10 mins. Then bring him in & wait 5-10 mins before you water him & No Ice or Cold water....Cold tap is ok. Later once hes been in for awhile give him ice or ref cold water.

I had a lady come to me to buy a puppy to replace the one that died. She took the puppy out in 100 degree temps to potty then spent 15 mins playing with the pup! Brought the pup in & gave it Ice Cubed water! Vet said puppy died of Shock! Another person left their dog in car for 10 mins...ran the dog home on full AC. then grab the dog took him inside into a Ice Cube bathtub of water.... He died! Again the vet said Shock!

When a dog is Over Heated you have to be careful how you go about cooling them down!

OP when you talk about Not giving him water I cring esp during this Heat wave. I Also think People Need to take dogs out for more pee breaks during a heat wave! Common sence hot you drink more & you pee more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,055,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

OP when you talk about Not giving him water I cring esp during this Heat wave. I Also think People Need to take dogs out for more pee breaks during a heat wave! Common sence hot you drink more & you pee more!
Not to worry...I NEVER deny my dogs water. We are simply regulating the amount he gets to drink at one time. Whereas a month ago he would drink endlessly at one visit to the water bowl; now with a smaller bowl if he finishes it - we let him wait 10-15 minutes before putting out more water. The goal is to break the "trance" he gets into...where he just sort of zones out with the water.

I'm sure people with multiple dogs and/or big dogs can relate: I was using a bowl that would hold a gallon + of fresh water daily. My female drinks to quench her thirst, then moves on. Moose was way past that; I found an article about obsessive water drinking in dogs and possible reasons why they get that way....very helpful.

I've had dogs all my life & thought we'd seen it all. This was a new one for me!

Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 902 times
Unhappy My Baby is sick..

My 6 year old pitbull that I have had for the past 3 years has food allergies really bad I feel so sorry for her always ear infection skin rashes etc etc. Well she could really pack down food always coming around anyone who had a plate in there hand..She was never fixed and I was getting prices on the cost . Well I had noticed her drinking a lot more water and not eating the way she use to. Then she wasn't eating at all so I took her to vet and he took a xray and bloodwork and came back in the room and told me she was dying. I had to leave her there which broke my heart I mean I cried so hard on my way home. Well long story short she had a infection in her uterus and her kidneys were shutting down. So surgery was done she pulled through I was so happy went and picked her up gave her a thousand kisses.. Well its been around close to 2 months since her surgery and again she was not eating took her in her allergies were all flared up . plus he did some blood work and he told me her kidneys aren't functioning well.. He gave me meds for her allergies and said let her finish those and see if she perks up any.. Well she just lays and sleeps a lot. I wait on her hand and foot to make sure she isn't suffering. I have to go back cause he wants to check her blood count again and I'm afraid to bring her back in because of what he will tell me.. I will be lost with out her she is my buddy.. What people say about pitbills is just so untrue, I have never even heard her growl not once. I'm so heartbroken I cry all the time she still is young.. Has this happened to anyone else after there dog had surgery.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,984,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjanlasergirl View Post
My 6 year old pitbull that I have had for the past 3 years has food allergies really bad I feel so sorry for her always ear infection skin rashes etc etc. Well she could really pack down food always coming around anyone who had a plate in there hand..She was never fixed and I was getting prices on the cost . Well I had noticed her drinking a lot more water and not eating the way she use to. Then she wasn't eating at all so I took her to vet and he took a xray and bloodwork and came back in the room and told me she was dying. I had to leave her there which broke my heart I mean I cried so hard on my way home. Well long story short she had a infection in her uterus and her kidneys were shutting down. So surgery was done she pulled through I was so happy went and picked her up gave her a thousand kisses.. Well its been around close to 2 months since her surgery and again she was not eating took her in her allergies were all flared up . plus he did some blood work and he told me her kidneys aren't functioning well.. He gave me meds for her allergies and said let her finish those and see if she perks up any.. Well she just lays and sleeps a lot. I wait on her hand and foot to make sure she isn't suffering. I have to go back cause he wants to check her blood count again and I'm afraid to bring her back in because of what he will tell me.. I will be lost with out her she is my buddy.. What people say about pitbills is just so untrue, I have never even heard her growl not once. I'm so heartbroken I cry all the time she still is young.. Has this happened to anyone else after there dog had surgery.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog and yes, it's extremely upsetting to go through. YOU MUST TAKE HER BACK IN. You'll never know what's going on if you don't stay on TOP OF IT. You can't help suffering by "waiting on her hand and foot". She needs to see the doctor where they may or may not be able to help her depending on what's going ON. This isn't going to just fix itself and avoiding the doctor is not any compassionate solution. At least get the straight story and then decide how to deal with it.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 PM

24 posts, read 129,955 times
Diabetes is very common in dogs and the symptoms here sure do sound like that could be the case. It is so sad to see animals with diabetes and when they are actually diagnosed with it, just like people, they have lifelong problems, require insulin and special diets. Hope it was something else that was treatable and that your dog got well.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:39 AM

8,184 posts, read 12,927,994 times
Diabetes is my first guess. Classic symptoms.

PLEASE do not be discouraged. It can be controlled with insulin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs